A Toy owner has been stuck in TX for 2 weeks with a bad VSS, the speed sensor in the transmission on a 91 Toyota, V6, automatic transmission. electronic speedometer,  I did a quick search and the the 91 seems to be different than the 92 and up which are available.

He says the VSS has been tested and is bad. 

Anyone know where one, new or used would be available?

Looks like the cut off date is 8/91. Before that is a no go and after that they are still available. Not even from Japan sellers which usually have our discontinued stuff. Have them check the production date of their rig and if it's a no go a junk yard is the only option. Found some after market part numbers but looks like all of them are discontinued too. Maybe some one can find them

CARQUEST 72-4294
WELLS SU14037
AIRTEX 5S12622

This link shows it was available on a bunch of different vehicles. Sometimes Toyota seems pretty useless. I bet millions of these vehicle are still on the road

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya/toyota/sensor-speed-8941122061?q=89411-22061

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Looks like the cut off date is 8/91. Before that is a no go and after that they are still available. Not even from Japan sellers which usually have our discontinued stuff. Have them check the production date of their rig and if it's a no go a junk yard is the only option. Found some after market part numbers but looks like all of them are discontinued too. Maybe some one can find them

CARQUEST 72-4294
WELLS SU14037
AIRTEX 5S12622

This link shows it was available on a bunch of different vehicles. Sometimes Toyota seems pretty useless. I bet millions of these vehicle are still on the road

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya/toyota/sensor-speed-8941122061?q=89411-22061

Linda S

Thanks, I passed on the info. 

5 hours ago, jjrbus said:

Thanks, I passed on the info. 

One other thing. The transmission uses the same case from 1988 to 1995 so the hole it goes into is the same size. I would try the newer one. Better than being stuck forever.

Linda S

14 hours ago, linda s said:

One other thing. The transmission uses the same case from 1988 to 1995 so the hole it goes into is the same size. I would try the newer one. Better than being stuck forever.

Linda S

I thought about that,  the 91 speedometer is a different part #,  don't know if that would make a difference or not??   Hmmm, if the computer were the same part # as the toys with the  newer VSS could possibly swap out the speedometer????? 

It is also is the possibility the speedo gear ratios are different kind of seem unlike they would change the trans build.

2 hours ago, Maineah said:

It is also is the possibility the speedo gear ratios are different kind of seem unlike they would change the trans build.

I do not remember gears in the speedometer?  

IMG_0011.JPG

The reason I think the newer one would fit is that a 1991 Cressida takes the same speed sensor and the campers and that Cressida do not have the same computer. Not even close in part number. Different gear ratio. Maybe if they switched the speed sensor and the speedometer gearing so they matched

Linda S

That's how I found the alternate after market part numbers. Guy was looking for one for his Cressida. Several years ago though so he probably found them

All gets complicated,  I am glad the VSS is available for my 93 so I don't have to look for and carry a spare.   I have been watching for a spare ECU to get as a spare, but they are rarer than hens teeth for the Cab and Chassis. 

Re: C&C ECU.

It would be nice to know the difference between a 'C&C' and 'Regular' ECU. I doubt you'd find out the difference from a Dealer. A call to a specialized Toyota salvage yard ight get better/more info. It might be as simple a a small change in transmission shift points (perhaps optimized for a 6000lb GVWR). Any change would result in a different Part Number.

http://yodajims.com/

I'm sure there aren't too many Toyota motorhomes that have been scrapped because of the 'wrong' ECU being used.

13 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I do not remember gears in the speedometer?  

IMG_0011.JPG

The transmission side, something has to tell the spedo what to read. So my point would not be the fitment but probably ratios of the spedo transducer so the question would be accuracy. Shot in the dark and I can not remember if they had any transmission feedback. So if one is in the junkyard my guess the transducer will physically fit and may work fine.

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Re: C&C ECU.

It would be nice to know the difference between a 'C&C' and 'Regular' ECU. I doubt you'd find out the difference from a Dealer. A call to a specialized Toyota salvage yard ight get better/more info. It might be as simple a a small change in transmission shift points (perhaps optimized for a 6000lb GVWR). Any change would result in a different Part Number.

http://yodajims.com/

I'm sure there aren't too many Toyota motorhomes that have been scrapped because of the 'wrong' ECU being used.

I have only found one reference to the "wrong" ECU being used in an RV.  They said it worked with no issue.  Hard to put much store in only 1 report on the net.

The C&C ECU would be a trip stopper as there are not many available and often the only option is to send in for rebuild.   When mine went out there was only 1 available that I could find in the eastern US. 

28 minutes ago, Maineah said:

The transmission side, something has to tell the spedo what to read. So my point would not be the fitment but probably ratios of the spedo transducer so the question would be accuracy. Shot in the dark and I can not remember if they had any transmission feedback. So if one is in the junkyard my guess the transducer will physically fit and may work fine.

Wonder if the gear is available as all the VSS I saw were without gear. 

There are companies that make speedometer adjusters for people who change rear axle gearing or get giant tires. Commercial speedometer in Sacramento has been use by quite a few Toyota motorhome owners. Cost about 100. Don't really need the factory part but if someone wanted it yes it's still available, 200 bucks for that

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody, I'm the guy with the 1991 Toyota stuck in Tx. The RV is still in Tx and I am back in California. I will check on that speed shop. The part has not been found. I think we will have to get one off of a similar model. I would also be willing to have one made. I am open to suggestions. I have attached pictures of the item I am looking for.

sensor2.jpg

sensor3.jpg

I'm puzzled as to why you can drive the home without the speedo working, just use a Garman or other GPS device. It has a speed reading on it!

VSS sends a signal to the speedometer which converts the signal to something the ECM can use.  Without the signal

the transmission will not shift right or not at all. Not sure what else is affected?

It also regulates the heat of the engine. With out the sensor there are multiple things not working. I am still looking for this item. The clock is running out for me as I have to bring the car back to Tx I borrowed to get home. I hope I can find one soon.

Thank you Linda! I called, then texted on this part. My main concern is the ECT on the dashboard. I think the sensor also controls it, the ECT is like overdrive but kicks in much faster to get you over hills or mountains. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I do feel I will need to find the part on a similar RV. Again, thank you so much for the link!! You guys on this site are very helpful, it is refreshing to have such a network available.

Dave

It is a different part, the part I am looking for is Pre-Aug 1991 The Cressida has a cable for the speedometer, the speedometer for this kind of Transmission is controlled by the sensor. We got the part number from looking up the VIN on the RV. We also found that the updated part has the same exact part number. I bought one from Auto Zone in TX. It is very different. Onward and upward! I just spoke to a parts house that specializes in hard to find parts. I hope they can help. I am also contacting anyone parting out 1986-91 Toyota's with a V6, not many out there. So if anyone runs across one I would love to know of it.

Edited by ToyotaDave
date clarification

Well then if Toyota did still make it they would have no way of finding the right part for you since part numbers don't seem to mean anything. The Cressida used the a340E transmission the same as the dual wheeled trucks. The E stands for electronically controlled. Not manual cable. All have sensors. Whatever

Linda S

JJRBUS I think you cracked the code! I have a part ordered that looks just like the one I am seeking. Thank you for all your help! I will let you all know how it goes. I hope to be driving her home on Tuesday. Thanks again everyone for your help!

8 hours ago, ToyotaDave said:

JJRBUS I think you cracked the code! I have a part ordered that looks just like the one I am seeking. Thank you for all your help! I will let you all know how it goes. I hope to be driving her home on Tuesday. Thanks again everyone for your help!

OH OH.   After posting I decided that it was too easy and went back and double/triple checked the part.  It does not seem to fit your application!  So I deleted the post,   was not up for 10 minutes. 

Looks like the right part and says for 91 truck,   but does not list  your vehicle in the applications.

Edited by jjrbus

8 hours ago, ToyotaDave said:

If the part you ordered works please post the exact part number and make if it's not OEM Toyota. Will help others in the future. I'm sure others will have ones that fail and an alternative would be a great find

Linda S

On 7/2/2018 at 10:36 AM, jjrbus said:

Wonder if the gear is available as all the VSS I saw were without gear. 

Something has to move to trigger the transducer either a gear or a tone wheel it would be attached to the output shaft not the transducer. If you had two in your hand and they looked the same it probably would work however the accuracy would be questionable.

This may help in your search ...

Default Re: 1988 Century. A340E need speedo sender unit and/or advice

I hope I'm looking in the right spot, but here goes.

Toyodiy brings up two versions of the speed sensor for VG40 Century (both floor and column shift use them):
89411-22060 (09/1987 - 11/1988) 
89411-22061 (12/1988 - 11/1992) 

Apparently there's a rotor that sits on top of it as well? Could be this that's worn and needs replacing?
89414-30020 (09/1987 - 11/1988) 
89414-30021 (12/1988 - 11/1992)

Cross referencing the earlier part (sensor and rotor), they are used on:
02/1986-07/1988 TOYOTA SUPRA GA70,MA70 
08/1988-04/1993 TOYOTA SUPRA GA70,JZA70,MA70
08/1984-07/1988 TOYOTA MARK 2 GX7*,LX7*,MX71,SX70,YX7*
08/1988-11/1995 TOYOTA MARK 2 GX81,LX80,MX83,SX80,YX80,JZX81
08/1984-07/1988 TOYOTA CHASER GX71,LX70,MX71,SX70,YX7*
08/1988-09/1992 TOYOTA CHASER GX81,LX80,MX83,SX80,YX80,JZX81
08/1984-07/1988 TOYOTA CRESTA GX71,LX70,MX71,SX70
08/1988-09/1992 TOYOTA CRESTA GX81,LX80,MX83,SX80,YX80,JZX81
02/1981-11/1985 TOYOTA SOARER GZ10,MZ1*
01/1986-12/1987 TOYOTA SOARER GZ20,MZ2*
01/1988-03/1991 TOYOTA SOARER GZ20,MZ2*
08/1983-07/1987 TOYOTA CROWN GS12*,LS12*,MS12*,YS120
09/1987-09/1991 TOYOTA CROWN GS13*,LS13*,MS13*,YS130,UZS131,JZS13*
09/1987-12/1996 TOYOTA CENTURY VG4*

Cross referencing the later model part:
08/1988-04/1993 TOYOTA SUPRA GA70,JZA70,MA70
08/1988-11/1995 TOYOTA MARK 2 GX81,LX80,MX83,SX80,YX80,JZX81
08/1988-09/1992 TOYOTA CHASER GX81,LX80,MX83,SX80,YX80,JZX81
08/1988-09/1992 TOYOTA CRESTA GX81,LX80,MX83,SX80,YX80,JZX81
01/1988-03/1991 TOYOTA SOARER GZ20,MZ2*
09/1987-09/1991 TOYOTA CROWN GS13*,LS13*,MS13*,YS130,UZS131,JZS13*
09/1987-12/1996 TOYOTA CENTURY VG4*
05/1990-11/1999 TOYOTA ESTIMA TCR1*,2*
08/1989-12/2004 TOYOTA HIACE, REGIUSACE KZH1**,LH1**,RZH1**,TRH1**
04/1997-04/2002 TOYOTA HIACE TOURING, REGIUSACE KCH4*,LXH4*,RCH4*
08/1995-12/2004 TOYOTA GRAND HIACE, GRANVIA KCH1*,RCH11,VCH1*,2*

The more I look into this the more I am seeing that it may have to come from a similar RV with a V6 within the years 1986-91 For some reason we are hitting a brick wall finding this particular item. I have been looking for Yards with Toyota RV's. Any suggestions would be great.

Because of the final drive ratio, tire size, vintage and the possibility of the transmission being replaced it's going to hard to pin one down with spot on accuracy.