Crank-up TV Antenna

Howdy Folks

I've got a '91 Winnebago Coach and it has one of the Crank-up TV antennas. I've got a few questions regarding this antenna.

1. Are these Antennas still functional in the 21st Century?

2. Does there need to be any other electronic component to "boost" the signal between the TV and the antenna?

3. Any one out there still using theirs and what is your set-up, i.e. TV type, accessories, etc.?

4. Do you get a good signal, and how does one get a better signal?

5. Anyone find that they felt it was just better to remove it from the roof and so you did and how did you patch the roof (or did you replace it with a more advanced antenna?

6, Lastly, has anyone used the antenna for anything other than a TV antenna...some creative method to raise and lower "something" other than the antenna?

Thanks

Jeffrey

It will work on the new digital systems a good add on is called a "wingman"  most RV stores will have them easy instal $20 range. There is a switch on the small panel with the lighter outlet it is the switch that powers on the amp inside the antenna there should also be a red light that comes on with the switch. Digital signals use less output power aminging is critical it will take you awhile to find the signal helps to know what direction to start with. Common failure if it does not work is the board inside of the head unit but first check if the coax wire has 12 volts at the antenna with the switch on. Laundry line instead of the antenna?

• 8 months later...

Confess I had mine taken off when they redid the cabover.  Not a TV person.  A metal patch was put on the outside, and the interior hole is neatly covered by the smoke detector.