Pulled the jackknife sofa out (So easy! Only 4 large screws, and a 15 year old son's help to get it out the door!) Then, I purchased firm foam cut to size for the base and back. Home Depot supplied the 5/8 inch plywood, which I got cut there (great deal at 2 free cuts and $1 each after, but they only had to do 3 so didn't even charge me for the extra!) Wrapped the foam with batting to soften corners, stapled it onto plywood. Wrapped fabric around foam and stapled to plywood. It doesn't matter that the backs are bare as no one sees it. Then added a piece of the plywood that was cut off from the piece I bought from HD (it actually worked out perfectly! The measurements of the base and back added up to leave a 2 inch strip which had been cut to the same length as the boards for the sofa. This fit perfectly along the wall to hold up the back of the new sofa, while the front of the seat sits on the original frame. The generator box was also the right height for this strip to sit on top of, so extra support there too. Then, the seat fits in between the 2 raised ends of the original base, and the back sits nicely under the window! It all fits snuggly so no movement while driving. I'm so pleased with how it turned out!!

IMG_7658.JPG

IMG_7668.JPG

IMG_7664.jpg

I took mine to the dump too it took a week before my back was back to normal! Same plan custom mattress actually comfortable after the redo and it didn't squeak!

A slight mod to the program. Cut a piece of wood to a wedge shape. So that the back of the sofa has a slant to it. More comfortable to sit on.

12 hours ago, WME said:

A slight mod to the program. Cut a piece of wood to a wedge shape. So that the back of the sofa has a slant to it. More comfortable to sit on.

I like this idea!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been enjoying the new covers on the RV cushions...but I have not been enjoying the pet hair sticking to them. I travel with all my pets, dogs and cats. I put the dogs beds on the sofa for them to lie on while we travel, but the hair still manages to get all over everything. So, now I'm about to re-do the covers with vinyl! I think this will make the RV much easier to keep clean. I'll post photos of the results.

Vinyl is hot and sticky in warm weather. Look at automotive perforated vinyl. Use it as an insert on the sitting parts.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:20 AM, Derek up North said:

I've a Husky, a Flat Coat Retriever and a Pyrenean Mountain Dog. I've just accepted that dog hair is a condiment. :)

Lol! Yum!!

On 9/29/2018 at 10:17 AM, WME said:

Vinyl is hot and sticky in warm weather. Look at automotive perforated vinyl. Use it as an insert on the sitting parts.

Looking into this! Thanks?

• 4 months later...

https://www.foamorder.com/foam/upholstery-foam.html  These folks can provide different weight foams and memory foam to build a layered cushion...

I do not like vinyl upholstery and dog and cat claws don't like it either. Heavy weight, tightly woven canvas or denim would be my choice. Doesn't attract hair and what does land can be easily brushed of. Sticky roller thing would clean it like crazy. Look down, are your jeans covered in fur? Bet not. Oh and put in zippers to remove and wash covers. So nice to get everything all fresh 

Linda S