decided to replace lower ball joint - supposed to have zero play.  Lower's carry the load.

A shovel handle was used to lift the tire repeatedly.  Note that the torsion bar has to be "unloaded" so to speak - jack up lower control arm first. Many youtube videos available - just be sure to find one that covers torsion bar style suspensions, 

used an autozone part - rockauto was a lot cheaper but I wanted to get this thing ready for a trip.

The 15 second shows about 4 iterations,  took a bit to load for viewing here

P1050047.JPG

P1050052.JPG

Edited by DanAatTheCape

I probably need to look at doing this on mine in the next year or so. How difficult was the job? Time per side?

I talked to a local front shop that was recommended by a friend who was a toyota mechanic during the head recall era.  The shop  handles trucks and could handle a toy.   That guy quoted 2.5 hours labor.

I am disabled - it took me multiple days - little bit here , a little bit there.  

It was not a bad job - I used an autozone loaner pickle fork to separate the lower ball joint.   You need a 30mm socket for the axle nut. Other sizes were 17 mm, 12 mm an I think a 24mm for the nut on top of the LBJ. 

2.5 is reasonable for the entire job - assuming you have everything you need all lined. 

On 6/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, DanAatTheCape said:

2.5 is reasonable for the entire job - assuming you have everything you need all lined. 

Good to know. I've got a decent pickle fork around but need to double-check the 30mm socket situation... Thanks for the info!