Could anyone help me price my 4x4 Odyssey

thaiten

Ok, so finally have to sell my Ody--too many kids so have to go larger. This RV has taken us everywhere, even some crazy 4x4 roads in CO where people looked at us funny, but my shower, kitchen, and bed put theirs to shame over 12000 ft. I know some have wondered whether 4x4 is a positive--I've read posters who said it's useless, but those of us with 4x4's would all disagree. I know having 2 wheels pulling may not be a big thing, but getting to the pristine places we've been the low is what really makes the difference! There are only a few states left on our map that we haven't gotten to. Anyways, It's been sitting in my garage for the past two years so am looking to sell and want to list correctly.  1991 Toyota Odyssey 4x4 V6 100k miles. Bought in CA in 2011. Took out AC and replaced with fantastic vent, just had everything serviced, toilet, heater, 3way fridge, replaced faulty power board. Since it's been kept in my garage, I haven't noticed any leaks, cab over is solid, roof is solid, tires are good. Does not have dually and I know people talk about that--some say they had this taken care of by 91. All I know is that I have 4 kids--I know we've been at or over load limit on our trips out west and I've put close to 30k on this RV with no axle problems other than replacing the bearings on both sides--I suppose by 95k those needed to be replaced. I took out the two seats and put in bench seats with storage underneath but other than that have not changed anything else. Here's a picIMAG0507.thumb.jpg.53af4d0fde5edeb5d346f0e4159c079b.jpg

very interesting machine.  I am curious about the chassis - did not know later model 4x4 existed.

I am not sure how to price it - I would have to see a lot more about the inside.   Curious what you mean no dually?  do you have single rear wheels?

Yes he has single rear wheels and all the other Toyota motorhomes still made all over the world have the same. No duallys. Toyota also never made a dually 4x4. Maybe a dozen of these 4x4 rigs were ever made and at least a couple were Starlites with a pop top and all fiberglass body.

Linda S

So Linda, you say around a dozen were made, how many of those were Sunraders--I've seen some of those just wondering if the 4x4 was aftermarket? I only know of 2 Odyssey 4x4's in existence could be more, but these are the only 2 I know--one in Alaska and mine in TN. Interesting to learn Toy motorhomes all over the world don't have dually's--I asked several 4x4 shops if the axle would handle the weight and it was always the same answer, confident it would. It's been a really fun vehicle, I just went reminiscing through several files of trips last evening. I've tried multiple times to figure out how to keep it but with 4 kids (3,6,9,11), I can't come up with a layout I could transform it into that would work.

Sunrader never made a V6 4x4. If I'm right about the rack on the back of your rig I remember when you bought it in California. Bakersfield or Fresno area? Yeah there are a few more than yours and Timmy's. 2 different floor plans on the ones like yours. Yours and Timmy's are the Newport  but they also made a rear dinette style called a Chaparral. There are also at least 2 Starlite models made by Odyssey with the 4x4 chassis. Here's a rear dinette version.

Linda S

IMG_0252.jpg

Yeah, I really like that rear dinette version. Yes, bought it just south of Fresno in Lemoore. Bought it sight unseen, had a friend who lived there go pick it up for me, then we flew out and drove it up PCH 1 to Washington then back home. Thanks so much for the info! 

Hi @thaiten - I'd love to know how you all slept in there, 4 kids + 2 adults... we are 3 kids + 2 and it's tight at night with people everywhere!  Needless to say I am impressed, I already thought we were past the comfortable capacity but I guess not!

Lol, it's crazy full--we have a 3 yr old, 6, 9, and 11, so three kids go up above the cab, wife and I sleep on the pull out and oldest sleeps beside us--I took out the two chairs beside the side door and installed bench seats with storage under and seat belts mounted to the frame so kids could have enough seat belts when traveling down the road, also installed a table that mounts to either side of the door and has a flip down leg on the other side, that table nestles into the front sides of the bench seats to make a 3rd bed. The joy is getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night:) And the reality is it's not comfortable hence the reason I'm selling my favorite vehicle...

LOL is right!  I'd love to see photos of the interior!!  Your model must have been the dinette/double chair with sofa on the other side.  Ours only has the dinette.  We did make a cot that sits on top of the drivers/passenger seat and another that sits on top of the stove and sink.  That at least got everyone off the floor so ... getting the bathroom is actually possible without stepping on someone :)  Still it takes extra time to setup and then return to a state where we can make bfast etc.  It's all fun!

I keep thinking I will get out there and take a pic of the interior, hopefully this weekend--we found that we were constantly moving things, setting up/taking down/hopping over each other...just like you said. Our oldest actually likes to sleep under our bed which is kind of funny--ours is the pull out sofa so she will just throw her sleeping pad and bag down and crawl in for the night with no worries of anyone stepping on her, then my second oldest can take the dinette bed we made. Ours is also in a constant state of being cleaned:) but I suppose that's just normal for 4 kids or 3 for that matter...

@thaiten Please post pics of the interior when you can. I am very interested and might reluctantly part with my 4x4 Bandit if I like yours. I am thinking of going full-time for a while and that would be hard to do in my Bandit.

Was it the guy in the Bay Area that was selling it in 2009? I flew down and drove it back up to Wenatchee. I love it! Since I go way back on sketchy forest service roads, the 4x4 gives me peace of mind. Plus, it sure is nice going over the pass in the winter (albeit slowly, lol). 

However, with zero insulation, it gets cold inside over here in the winter and really hot in the summer. I am in the middle of re-doing the headliner and roof supports. But I am kind of stuck trying to research and figure out the next steps. I want to reinforce the roof and then add some insulation, both for the heat as well as the cold, as well as add a roof fan or two. I’d also love to get it painted white because of the hot summers over here and somehow insulate the walls without removing all the cabinets. As much as I love my Bandit and never thought I’d part with it, thinking of going full-time for a while has me reconsidering. The Odyssey is surely tempting, though it would be hard to give up a fiberglass shell. But, it would be much easier to travel in full-time and I might be in a nursing home before I find a 4x4 Sunrader!

Hey Freestone, Just wanted you to know I've been trying to upload pics of the inside like you requested but to no avail, gives me an error (-200) every time.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Just got the Ody back from the rv place where they worked on some wiring issues (put in new dynamic panel) and fixed the toilet gasket.  Also had some engine trouble, seems to be running with less power so I gave it a tune up (new rotor, cap, wires, sparkies, fuel filter, etc) still running low on power so have taken it off to the shop. Also, am noticing now that I've had it out of the garage and we've had lots of rain, it will need some caulking done, looks like I have a leak from the running lights above the cab, from the fantastic vent, and possibly from the passenger rear side--suppose that's par for the course since it's been in my garage for 2 and a half years and I suppose the engine stuff is also par for the course...anyway, will have some pics up soon.

• 1 month later...

Wow it's beautiful. So I originally said 25,000 but another member here had his 4x4 Sunrader on our for sale site for I think 35 grand. It sold. I don't know if he got full asking price but yours is a V6 so I would say more. 25,000 minimum up to 35,000. Pocket change compared to what people pay for an Earth Roamer or other newer model 4x4 motorhome. Even the Sportsmobile vans go for close to 100 grand. I would be comfortable with 35,000. Then see how it goes

Linda S

I have an 1989 odyssey for sale and it has dual tires . They only made 10 4x4  that I know and the odyssey came with dual tires ? Think some converted it ? No odyssey , but dolphins came with them . And did not have a dual tires ? Maybe it’s a dolphins . 4x4 are rare ? 

The 2wd Odyssey's had dual wheels in the back but because there was never an upgrade available for the 4x4, Odyssey just made them with singles. Single wheel axles were never the problem. I don't know where you got your only 10 made figure but it's just a guess. No one knows exactly how many were made. I'm guessing from the ones I've seen quite a few more than 10 but less than 20

Linda S

Thanks for the help with pricing Linda.

Derek, I can only tell you what I did--hopefully it will also work for you...

At first I was trying to upload pictures I had transferred from my phone to the computer and always seemed to get the error. This time, I downloaded the pics off my google photos (which automatically downgrades the size of the pic) then uploaded to the site--worked, however I still had two pics get an error. This being said, I think it's a size issue--not sure what the site parameters are for upload pic size but this is my guess. Hope this helps.

20 hours ago, linda s said:

Single wheel axles were never the problem.

Seems like single wheels would simplify all our lives - at the very least it would be less parts and allow us to pay normal vehicle fees on toll roads. These 4x4 Odysseys certainly weighed equal to the non 4x4s, not to mention the torture of 4-wheeling, so I assume the axle design is robust enough. Am I missing something here? Is there some amazing pro to having duelies on all the 2wd trucks?

If I'm correct, the axle had been upgraded by the early 90's. I've asked several axle guys if this axle is ok for the weight of the camper, all have said should be just fine. Course I really need to just have mine weighed.

Sorry to all for the mess of asking pricing for this rv, I just put it on classifieds with suggested pricing last night and this morning a similar rv came up in FL for sale for 13k so I have just deleted my classified postings--I don't want anyone to feel I was being dishonest with the pricing. I will use it with my family for another year--was really a toss up, I like my rv and don't want to get rid of it but feeling cramped too...I almost decided to go down to FL and buy the other rv--one for my wife and the girls and one for me and the boys:) 

I'm sorry Linda, I wasn't questioning the worth you stated at all, I just feel its a bit disingenuous for me to be asking that much for something someone else is asking so low for. I agree with you, my wife and I had a long discussion on whether I should just get a rental car and head to FL for a couple of days and come back with that one for so cheap. We finally agreed having two around the house would be one too many:) I'm a bit upset that the day I put mine up for sale is the day someone who doesn't know the worth puts theirs up for sale... 

3 hours ago, linda s said:

I wasn't wrong about worth. The one on Ebay is being sold by a dealer who apparently has done no research on the subject and doesn't know what he's got. I'm amazed it didn't sell in minutes

Linda S

There is a  RV dealer that I often buy parts from I drove by one day and saw a Toyota trade in looked nice from the road so a few days later I stopped by and it was gone I asked if he had sold it he said "yeah I wished I had done my homework first those thing are worth a lot more than I thought, could have got at least another grand or two for it!" His stuff starts at about 100 grand guess he thought size had a lot to do with it.