Dometic fridge problem

I’m having issues with my fridge. ?  Dometic 2 way base model less than a year old.  It turns on, the gas lights, the burner gets hot, but no cooling on either gas or Ac. Bought a new deep cycle battery to ensure a full 12 volt the the electronics. Level enough too. I’ve had nothing but trouble with Dometic fridges, they are SO finicky! 

I've had good luck with my dometic.  If you have a flame, the only thing there I can think of to check is if the flame looks good. Once on my first Toy (may it RIP), there was soot buildup. I had a RM2410 - easy to remove little flame guard - I cleaned it by wiping it with my finger. 

Seems unlikely your cooling unit has crapped out - unless you happen to have been using it unlevel.  

Other then that, it sounds like maybe a control issue.

17 hours ago, cruisecontrol said:

I’m having issues with my fridge. ?  Dometic 2 way base model less than a year old.  It turns on, the gas lights, the burner gets hot, but no cooling on either gas or Ac. Bought a new deep cycle battery to ensure a full 12 volt the the electronics. Level enough too. I’ve had nothing but trouble with Dometic fridges, they are SO finicky! 

Well the one in my camper is 28 years old the one in the old toyhome is 31 years old they both did a swell job of keeping the ice cream hard and the beer cold. If the chimney is getting hot it means the control system is working that pretty much means a loss of the refrigerant mix usually. There is ammonia in the mix usually you can smell it if it's leaking. If you need a battery to make it work it must be fairly modern is it new or rebuilt? A model number would help too, some modern ones had issues with thermocouples.

Sorry all who responded, only just got back to this. The model is an RM 2351, still under warranty till the 26th!! It’s going in today...

my little Dusty’s V6 3L is getting all sorts of work done...needed a starter motor, EGR valve, (which hasn’t solved the exhaust leak yet) belts, wipers, then found there is a head gasket recall on it. It’s going to a Toyota dealership to get tested and inspected to see if they can even get the parts, if the pull the head and then find another can of worms, then what? So they advise one step at a time. I will have to pay 2 hours labour for the testing and diagnostics.

its a 1990, wish it had the 22R...?

it eats gas?

2 hours ago, cruisecontrol said:

I will have to pay 2 hours labour for the testing and diagnostics.

First time I've heard anyone mention anything like this. Sounds like the Dealer/Stealer is trying to make a little extra gravy on the job. I'd ask for an explanation of exactly what they are testing and what they're diagnosing. Toyota has a Special Service Campaign for the head gasket and you qualify. What's to test and diagnose?

Hi Derek, I know what you are saying, but it’s not just the head gasket. Yes I qualify, but those recalls were mostly done by 1995-6. When the head comes off, there’s a bearing they may not be able to replace. We already had a problem finding an EGR valve that would fit, had to modify one. They are doing a compression test, and  a borscope test and there may be a sticky valve, There’s a leak in the manifold too.id rather know what to expect before the head comes off.  It was built in Japan 

There is no bearing that is replaceable the cylinder head is the bearing surface. There is no need for a borescope the head has to come off to replace the gasket  you can see all once the head is off including the valves. Valves don't "stick" the clearance maybe be too tight allowing it not to fully close thus lower compression readings. You kind of have to check the clearance of the valves if you do head work and claim to be reputable. They are trying to scare you into a crate engine.

Maybe I used the wrong term..., it was something next the radiator. I don’t know what a crate engine is,  but they know I just need the hole in the manifold fixed, if pullingthe head off is going to cause more harm than good in terms of finding obsolete parts, then it won’t happen.  

The head gasket has never revealed the possible problems your talking about that I know of. You do that first, then you deal with the other stuff. Tell them they need to get approval from Toyota for the service campaign or you'll go somewhere else that will. 

Linda S

12 hours ago, Maineah said:

There is no bearing that is replaceable the cylinder head is the bearing surface. There is no need for a borescope the head has to come off to replace the gasket  you can see all once the head is off including the valves. Valves don't "stick" the clearance maybe be too tight allowing it not to fully close thus lower compression readings. You kind of have to check the clearance of the valves if you do head work and claim to be reputable. They are trying to scare you into a crate engine.

A crate engine is a rebuilt exchange engine. 

Good result on the Dometic fridge???

It was the cooling unit, and Dometic is replacing the whole fridge. 

• 2 weeks later...

On this topic of fridges... mine works on shore power and propane. No 12volt. My problem is the little light that is supposed to be lit when it's not lit with propane. The instructions say it is fired up when the little light  goes out. Problem is, there is no little light in the little tiny window for It! I can only tell if it's lit if it gets cold. Does anyone know if there is a replacement bulb for these. It is a replacement from the original fridge. Only a couple years old. 

5 hours ago, LittleShack said:

On this topic of fridges... mine works on shore power and propane. No 12volt. My problem is the little light that is supposed to be lit when it's not lit with propane. The instructions say it is fired up when the little light  goes out. Problem is, there is no little light in the little tiny window for It! I can only tell if it's lit if it gets cold. Does anyone know if there is a replacement bulb for these. It is a replacement from the original fridge. Only a couple years old. 

Not knowing what module you have is pretty hard to say. If you have a panel with lights it's electronic if you have a lighter button it's not. The little window in the non electronic ones does not have a bulb it is a fiber optic  window what you see is what you get some times they carbon up and you can't see the flame remove the cover over the burner (behind the outside cover) and see if it's carboned up.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:52 PM, Maineah said:

Not knowing what module you have is pretty hard to say. If you have a panel with lights it's electronic if you have a lighter button it's not. The little window in the non electronic ones does not have a bulb it is a fiber optic  window what you see is what you get some times they carbon up and you can't see the flame remove the cover over the burner (behind the outside cover) and see if it's carboned up.

Sorry, should have thought of that! It is a Dometic RM 2410 with a piezo ignitor.