I have no Check Engine Light!

The FSM tells me how to test the ECU unit with a multi meter. but the normal operation should have the light engage when I turn the key and off after I start it. I have had the ECU unit rebuilt.  but I have not retested the new part. I guess I will do that next. but first let me bring you up to speed.

i have just installed a new block and tried to button up all of the electricals. There is no check engine light. I have looked at the fuses they are good or at least they look good. I have checked the big relay fuses in the engine bay. relays intact and showing 0 ohms resistance.  I have pulled and switched the bulbs in the instrument cluster. the bulbs are good. charged the battery and tested the voltage it holds 12.8v or so. the fuel tank has 1/2 full fuel. the ignition fires. spark comes through the coil into the distributor down the lines into new plugs. timing has been set and double checked. my rig is A/T and it will crank in P or N but not the drive gears.

FSM testing of the Ignition coil seems like there is low voltage if testing from the Positive side to the hole in the middle.

It cranks but not as strong as I would like. it fires up on the first turn of the key but does not run. second try it fires and dies. third try it does not want to fire again.

could I have a bad fuel pump or relay? If the Check Engine light does not engage is still should run though right? just poorly? if I could get the ECU to talk to me I could fix the physical problems but electricity is my nemesis. 

Please help me and flipper to get moving again! it is the season to explore and visit!

2 minutes ago, DanAatTheCape said:

not sure what you mean by block - engine block?    no check engine light - do you mean the cel does not illuminate during prestart check?

correct sir!  new cast motor not a rebuilt old block. also correct sir the CEL does not come on at all.  not even if I jump the wire into the Diagnostic slot. could the instrument panel circuit go bad? i do not have spare ECU to plug and test. but i am happy to accept input or ideas.

Well, we got an answer.  Remember, the motor started idling rough, then about a day later, the check engine light came on.  Guess what?  it was a spark plug wire worn through the insulation shorting against a metal pipe, EGR I think he said.  The check engine light said it was something causing too lean a fuel mixture.  That was not even close. Anyway, we replaced all the spark plugs and wires, and it runs perfectly.  The mechanic said it had the wrong spark plugs anyway.  Now it has all new hoses and belts, new timing belt, new shocks, all kinds of great updates.  Now trying to get the refrigerator to work.  Not getting anywhere.

Best regards to all RVrs.

Jeff

1 hour ago, cruisecontrol said:

Hi Jeff, I’m having issues with my fridge too?. Dometic 2 way base model less than a year old.  It turns on, the gas lights, the burner gets hot, but no cooling on either gas or Ac. Bought a new deep cycle battery to ensure a full 12 volt the the electronics. Level enough too. I’ve had nothing but trouble with Dometic fridges, they are SO finicky! 

This thread was started by Flipper the 87 Dolphin about his check engine light. Wecallitfred you need to post in your own thread about your engine problems and not distract from the original posters questions please. Too much jumping around is confusing and people who can help him might not.

Linda S

• 4 weeks later...

I have an update on Flipper. so far the problem was the lack of a CEL or Check engine light. currently I have a very weak light. so weak that you can not see it against the light of day. only when it is dark is it visible. I know that it has the potential of strong illumination. I have tried so many things and have had such little actual result. so far I have installed the injector solenoid relay, new igniter and coil, replaced the relays and fuses , most recent an ignition starter switch.

All of this has been done since I started the engine replacement back in feburary. and so much more. the truck chassis has been nearly restored but the problems persist.

Main problem 1 is that the new motor sill not run. it will fire up on the key the first try and dies instantly within a second. then it will not fire again for a moment.

Main problem 2 is the Check Engine Light. it still does not give me the brightness that I know it should during the pre start situation. it does light up (hurray) although it is very weak. I can run the diagnostic and the code reads 6 and 12.

Main problem 3 is there is a mystery 3v draw on the system when it is parked. so I have taken to removing the battery cable when parking it.

If any of this sounds familiar please do contact me. I need help. the poor beast has been in my buddies pole barn for half a year and it is driving me crazy instead of driving me to national parks.

My Nikon camera has taken many pics but the file size is too large to attach. I may try to make a pdf or something.

Keep it rubber side down and have fun! 

Edited by flipper the 87 dolphin

• 4 months later...

UPDATE on my dimly lit CEL. the ECU turns out had a poor ground and this was causing a draw on the system when it was off. but when I turned the key the voltage plummeted from the ignition. it would turn and fire but not run. so my father helped me to splice in and soldier a fresh ground. now when I turn the key the dash lights up as it should. the ECU ground was a small brown wire and it was supposed to change into a different color somewhere. but once tapped into and grounded Success abounds.