Jack knife couch

TheProfessor

Hi all,

I have a 1986 New World (similar to dolphin). This has the “Jack knife couch” that folds out into a bed.  I feel as if I am not understanding how it is supposed to work.  When I fold it flat, there is an 8 inch gap between the seat and backrest cushions.  We have made do filling the space with pillows etc, but it terribly uncomfortable.  Is there supposed to be another cushion, or is the bed supposed to compress to eliminate this space?  Thanks for any ideas on what I might be missing here. 

3543B6EA-ED6F-4E4F-9359-D33E300837E5.jpeg

7F7A8251-4ADD-4372-BFCF-D23FE3ACE579.jpeg

i have that same couch in my RV. it folds the other way. It should also be bolted down. Mine wasn't and over the years of people flopping down on it caused it to keep pushing back against the wall causing my wall to bow a little there.

but pull the back rest forward and it should line up perfect.

after looking at your photos a little closer it looks like yours is missing the metal frame?

The metal frame is there. It is not currently attached to the wood framing below. The couch seems to hinge pretty smoothly into the position in the previous post. 

I tried to pull the back rest toward the seat to close the gap, but there was not any movement it was willing to do aside from folding back into the couch position. 

When end you say it folds the other way, what do you mean?

Many thanks for the replies!!

-N

You can do like I did if you’re good at fabrication. I took a generic futon frame, had the backrest reduced at a welding shop(twin size) and built custom ends out of 3/4” plywood. Platform now accepts a 39x75” futon mattress. My rig is small 16’ and it works well for me. No gaps ?.

A18617F1-BDA8-4009-AC70-7DD51C031BA6.jpeg

Once again, thanks for the pictures.  Looking at how your couch converts (86Dolphino) I am certain that I do not have the same setup. I can see from your pictures that I have a very different hinge setup.  The only thing I can figure is that once upon a time there was another pillow insert. I lifted the couch off the wood support and can’t see how the hinges could move in any other configurations  

Fred- nice setup!  I am thinking I will eventually build something more comfortable.