Sunrader window issues

lexxxel

So I've been looking at old posts for the wraparound cabover window issues, and my driver's side wrap window is leaking in 2 places. The rubber seal was replaced by the original owner at some point, because she told me when I bought the unit last year. But it's leaking, and it looks like whoever did it (she said it was done by a shop) did a really crappy job. There is a 1/4" gap where the seal ends meet, so of course rain gets in there. Plus, there is about a foot along the front lower window where the seal looks chewed up, like during installation they used some tool that ripped it up (on the inside), and it is leaking there too.

How easy is it for one person to replace the seal in the window? As in, a do-it-by-yourself project, as I won't have any help available. Otherwise, what about using clear sealant/caulking around the seal where it's leaking? Is this something that people do as a temp fix?

Plus, it looks like maybe the window either isn't fit in the opening properly, or it doesn't fit properly, because I think there is a bulge at the lower corner where it wraps around the corner, as in, bulging out slightly at that bottom wrap around area. That's why I'm hesitant to redo the seal, and am wanting to just use some caulking on the leaky parts. Is the bulge issue difficult to fix?

I know where to get the correct locking trim/seal, and will attempt it if people think I can do it myself, and also that caulking isn't going to stop the leaks. The bulge area is not leaking, it's 2 other spots that are leaking.

Thanks for all advice!

Edited by lexxxel

I did mine on my Nissan Sunrader a few years back, by myself, so I was already over 60. If this little old lady can do it anyone can. For the bulge. Lay that section flat. Use something to support it if you can and heat it up with a blow dryer. Heat gun can be used if very careful. You don't want to melt it just soften it some. Then weigh it down with something. Too bad we don't get those huge phone books anymore but something smooth that won't leave ripples. Let it cool and see how it looks. You can try this several times but always make sure you don't overdo it. There is a video on this site of the installation but maybe someone else can find it this time.

Linda S

Thanks Linda for the advice! And for providing the video link... I should have said that I watched that video after searching for info on this site, but in the video 2 people are doing it and it's super fast on the reinstall and trim install.

The problem with my bulge is that it's in the outer corner at the bottom, where it goes around the side to the front, so that won't lay flat when it's off the camper. Maybe I can rig up something curved to lay it on.

It may just be sticking out a bit because of a crappy install job, won't know I  guess until I pull it out and look if it fits in the opening properly.

I will use aluminum tape I think over the leaky areas while I wait to pick up the new trim lock seal. I'll order it on Amazon, but because I'm in canada I have to go pick it up in Michigan. So won't be able to get to the reseal right away. If only amazon canada wasn't 1000 times more expensive for the exact same products (most of which though aren't even available).

I have an articulating ladder that splits apart in 2 pieces that I will put 2x12's across to stand on. That should work ok. Will post pics, but will be a while before I get to it.

Maybe the window bulged out from driving? Does that happen? I swear I've heard the windows on the cabover make "bang" noises from time to time at highway speed. Like they're blowing out almost, but they still look intact when I stop :)

I've been driving mine for 14 years and never heard a bang noise. Bad installation is what must cause it. I add the one I drive the most is my Toyota Sunrader. It still has the original windows and gasket from the factory and it doesn't leak one bit. Had to do the Nissan because I got it with a completely broken window.

Linda S