wiring a multi-pronged reverse camera

sweetleon

I got a reverse camera hooked up on my Sunrader, but since the rearview mirror is all but useless, I'd like the reverse camera to turn on not only (1) when I'm going in reverse, but also (2) whenever my  running lights are on or (3) my turn signals/hazards are on.

I figure it won't be any harder to hook it into the wires, but I'm pretty sure that I just hook all those up to the camera then they'll all turn each other on (e.g., the turn signal will turn on the reverse lights).

What kind of circuit do I need for this?

Thanks in advance,

Lenny

A manual switch is the simple answer. Anything hooked to the turn signal is going to blink the monitor on and off which would be really annoying.

If a manual switch is to simple? What would work would 2 12v relays and a 12v time delay relay.

The normal relays would prevent a back feed situation. The time delay relay would keep the monitor on constantly and let it shut off after so many seconds after the signal is off

time delay...https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-Adjustable-Infinite-Cycle-Loop-Delay-Timer-Time-Relay-Switch-ON-OFF-Mod-Ws/202306045971?hash=item2f1a614813

normal relay..https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Matsushita-JS1FJ-12V-12-Volt-DC-Coil-10-Amp-SPDT-Miniature-PC-Mount-Relay/263001959937?epid=2146676149&hash=item3d3c236e01:g:C64AAOSwIaFZJdoq

Why not just wire it to the key switch and leave it on with the key? The reverse camera wire is + 12 volts. It won't hurt it they will play for years/decades 24/7. 

@Maineah thats a good point. I was thinking to wire it to the turn signals before the blinking capacitor(?), but i dont really know where that is. 

@WME I'm hoping to do this without running any new wires all the way to the back of my rig but you're absolutely right that what I really want is full-time operation of the camera system. Is there a wire back there thats always hot when the vehicle is running?

Thanks

in a sunrader, can you see a rear window?  In the warrior, my inside read view mirror can clearly see the rear window - with the fisheye lens I have excellent rear visibility.

I changed mine -after 25 years, the factory finally failed. Cleaned inside of window, got the lens wet and put it on - squeegeed out what I could

there are many sources --- here is one                           https://www.walmart.com/ip/CIPA-60300-11-x-14-Wide-Angle-Lens/17805989

here is an old pic looking at it from the outside    

1993Winnebago-4083747255-01288-RearView2---edit.jpg

Edited by DanAatTheCape

@Derek up North it’s currently wired that way, but I keep forgetting to turn the lights off after turning it on to park. What’s a “headlights on” warning and how would I add one?

@DanAatTheCape I can definitely see my rear window but it’s much larger (rear dinette) and I can’t see anything thru it except very tall vehicles. Is there a fisheye attachment I’m missing?

@DanAatTheCape oops! I Justin re-read your message and saw that your provided info about an after-market  fisheye attachment. Thanks! I’ll try that and if it works well enough I’ll rewire the camera to the reverse lights. 

Thanks everybody!

I’ve ordered a replacement(?) Fresnel/fisheye lens for the untinted 8x10” area of my rear window. Hopefully that’ll suffice and I’ll be done with this project. 

Otherwise I’ll take a whack at using relays likes @WME suggests, though it sounds complicated.

Also, I find that my display screen, which mounts on my rear view mirror and serves as a mirror when the camera is off, isn’t very easy to see in the daytime, so I’m not sure how helpful it’ll be when connected to running lights or turn signals. 

Either way, I’ll post an update after this weekend’s trip. 

On 6/7/2018 at 6:31 PM, sweetleon said:

I got a reverse camera hooked up on my Sunrader, but since the rearview mirror is all but useless, I'd like the reverse camera to turn on not only (1) when I'm going in reverse, but also (2) whenever my  running lights are on or (3) my turn signals/hazards are on.

I figure it won't be any harder to hook it into the wires, but I'm pretty sure that I just hook all those up to the camera then they'll all turn each other on (e.g., the turn signal will turn on the reverse lights).

What kind of circuit do I need for this?

Thanks in advance,

Lenny

Insert diodes in each circuit. The diode will only allow the current to flow in one direction. Size the diodes for the camera say at least 2 amps. If you do the optional manual reverse lights on then the diode needs to be bigger to handle the amperage the reverse lights need. My preference for the manual rev light circuit is some type of flashing led to let you know they are on. 

rev-lts-cam.jpg

I just had a backup camera installed in my Sunrader, wanted to use it as a rear view mirror as you do. Hooked it up to the running lights, so turn on running lights, now all LED, so I turn on the running lights when I start the vehicle and turn off the lights before I take out the key. Works great. Only glitch is I MUST remember to turn off running lights. 

Iflyfishlookingbackward

Ok your camera kit should have an RCA plug (yellow) that plugs into the camera on one end the monitor on the other. The other plug should be a coaxial plug one for the camera the other end some thing 12 volt. Often they have a lighter plug. What I would do is connect it to something that is energized by the key they make a thing called a fuse tap it's a small copper plate you remove the fuse install the tap put the fuse back in this leaves you with a lug to attach a wire to just turn the camera on with the key trust me the camera will last for years even if it's on 24 7. The biggest issue is running the wires. That's how mine was wired and I removed the mirror and mounted the monitor in its place.

Well, the Fresnel lens works really well, so it looks like I won't be wiring it up to both the reverse and running lights. But it's good to know that a diode is what I'd need if I wanted to do that. Hat tip to @Gulfstream Greg on that bit of electrical knowledge sharing.

And many thanks to all who've contributed to this discussion and my education on this forum.