Painting over decals

LittleShack

This summer I am hoping to tackle the exterior of Honey, my Itasca. She has filon siding and it is in pretty good shape, but needs to be brightened up with a good clean. I've read that Barkeeper's Friend is a good choice for cleaning the exterior. Is this okay to use on the filon? Then, once she has been given a good scrub, I would like to refresh the decals. Just wondering if anyone has tried painting over them and if so what they used. I would like to get it all looking spiffy and then do the Zep coat.  Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

Barkeepers works great on Filon. It doesn't scratch like some other similar cleansers. One of the best stripe upgrade I have ever seen he sanded the old stripes down lightly to smooth and edges that had lifted and then painted over the old stripes with the same color. He recently sold it and 10 years later it still looked great

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Barkeepers works great on Filon. It doesn't scratch like some other similar cleansers. One of the best stripe upgrade I have ever seen he sanded the old stripes down lightly to smooth and edges that had lifted and then painted over the old stripes with the same color. He recently sold it and 10 years later it still looked great

Linda S

Awesome, Linda! Thanks! I'd love to know what this guy used to paint over them. Any idea?

He had one of those guys that come over to your house to do minor mechanic work. He told the guy he was going to spend big bucks getting the stripes fixed and the guy told him he could do it. The stripes don't need to be the finish level of auto paint. I would use gloss rustoleum and mix it to get a close match or any good quality oil based paint.

Linda S

just a heads up about paint over decals. my warrior had failed (cracked) decals which a PO had painted over. the cracks telegraphed through the paint. very ugly. I completely removed the affected decals and replaced with new. if your decals are not damaged or cracked you are probably good to go.  joe from dover.

Definitely don't want to just paint over the decals.  As hunkaman mentions they will just bleed through.  They did go sticker/decals crazy in the 80's didn't they.  Mine were cracking as well and I've been using a few of these ABR rubber eraser wheels to remove them first.  They work great! 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WG2XYE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1