Has anyone done the 2.4LT Turbo diesel swap? I was thinking about doing it in my 87 Escaper 22re auto.

Assuming my research is correct all I should have to do is swap the computer and wiring harness, steam-clean the fuel tank or get another one, purge or change out the fuel lines and change the filler neck. And add and intercooler.

Is it worth it in terms of power and fuel economy? Or am I just thinking too big. Is there anything else I would have to change?

5 hours ago, Escaping in the Escaper said:

Has anyone done the 2.4LT Turbo diesel swap? I was thinking about doing it in my 87 Escaper 22re auto.

Assuming my research is correct all I should have to do is swap the computer and wiring harness, steam-clean the fuel tank or get another one, purge or change out the fuel lines and change the filler neck. And add and intercooler.

Is it worth it in terms of power and fuel economy? Or am I just thinking too big. Is there anything else I would have to change?

It is a project not to be taken lightly it is a great deal more than a "drop in". That's also a fairly long engine is there enough room? It's is not a direct fit to your transmission either anyone make adapters? Unless your engine is toast there really will not be enough gain for the expense. Basically what you will end up with is brick with a turbo diesel. Fun project if you have the time and money. Steam cleaning the fuel tank is something I have never hear of I can't see the reason draining the tank and purging the fuel lines with diesel yes. I would be more afraid of water in the fuel than a bit of gasoline.

From what I've read the bell housing has the same bolt pattern as the 22re. But then again you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet haha. I don't have and issues with the 22re its a great little motor. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to get a little more power and fuel economy even though I am driving around a brick. I'm not looking to go 75 down the interstate I'm perfectly fine with doing my 60-65 I just wish I could pull hills a little bit better and get a little better fuel economy. It seems I'm getting around 12-14mpg maybe. Which isn't terrible considering the weight of this thing.

I've also heard of a Buick 3.8 v6 swap, anyone had experience with that?

Is there other transmissions that could go with the 22re aside from the stock that could improve fuel economy?

You should be getting a little better mileage. Have you adjusted your valves lately. Easy job and always gives me a little bump. I do mine at least every 2 years. Any manual trannie 4 speed or 5 will give you a couple extra miles per gallon. On hills with your automatic, downshift for more pull. Second is good to 50mph. 55 if you don't mind it screaming at you. With a manual you would have already done that anyway

Linda S

13 hours ago, Escaping in the Escaper said:

From what I've read the bell housing has the same bolt pattern as the 22re. But then again you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet haha. I don't have and issues with the 22re its a great little motor. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to get a little more power and fuel economy even though I am driving around a brick. I'm not looking to go 75 down the interstate I'm perfectly fine with doing my 60-65 I just wish I could pull hills a little bit better and get a little better fuel economy. It seems I'm getting around 12-14mpg maybe. Which isn't terrible considering the weight of this thing.

I've also heard of a Buick 3.8 v6 swap, anyone had experience with that?

Is there other transmissions that could go with the 22re aside from the stock that could improve fuel economy?

It is highly doubtful that the trans will fit the diesel bell housing or flywheel will work for that matter. You may get a bit better mileage but it will take you a very long time to break even with the cost and effort. A diesel will do about 30% better than a same displacement gas engine so very best case 4 MPG more then there is the cost difference gas over diesel. You would have to drive a lot to to save anything. I have a Tacoma with a 6 speed stick 18-20 MPG 230 HP connected to the 3,000# trailer  12-14 MPG it's all about the wind if you look on various sites that's the going rate on fuel milage no matter what is pulling it from a big diesel to a Tacoma. The little 22RE likes to spin so flat to the floor in a lower gear going uphill is no big deal with the 22RE. I have seen GM V8's in toy homes so basically it's "you got the money honey I got the time". The Toyota being a 4 speed automatic will be geared similar to a like say GM 4 speed auto the difference comes with a lockup converter but not much gain in power or economy and again it will require adapters it's not a direct fit. 

The Volvo red block B230ft, a non interference 8 valve turbo puts out 165 hp@ 4800 RPM /194 pounds of torque@3450 RPM. It uses the same automatic transmission as my dolphin a, A43D. Just a thought. 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, Maineah said:

It is highly doubtful that the trans will fit the diesel bell housing or flywheel will work for that matter. You may get a bit better mileage but it will take you a very long time to break even with the cost and effort. A diesel will do about 30% better than a same displacement gas engine so very best case 4 MPG more then there is the cost difference gas over diesel. You would have to drive a lot to to save anything. I have a Tacoma with a 6 speed stick 18-20 MPG 230 HP connected to the 3,000# trailer  12-14 MPG it's all about the wind if you look on various sites that's the going rate on fuel milage no matter what is pulling it from a big diesel to a Tacoma. The little 22RE likes to spin so flat to the floor in a lower gear going uphill is no big deal with the 22RE. I have seen GM V8's in toy homes so basically it's "you got the money honey I got the time". The Toyota being a 4 speed automatic will be geared similar to a like say GM 4 speed auto the difference comes with a lockup converter but not much gain in power or economy and again it will require adapters it's not a direct fit. 

I'm just throwing out some ideas. I know everything under the sun has been suggested being dropped into these things. What about a Buick 3.8? From what I've read it has reasonable power and gas mileage for a V6. They make adapters for the bell housing so it shouldn't be too much of a pain to do the swap. Would the motor mounts line up?

17 hours ago, Escaping in the Escaper said:

I'm just throwing out some ideas. I know everything under the sun has been suggested being dropped into these things. What about a Buick 3.8? From what I've read it has reasonable power and gas mileage for a V6. They make adapters for the bell housing so it shouldn't be too much of a pain to do the swap. Would the motor mounts line up?

Well the easiest would be to use the GM trans. I can't see any reason any thing would line up, frankly you got to be a good fabracater to attack something like that.

13 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Good one, but with out 10 more pages it could not cover everything one being knowing whatever you are putting in is any good.