Rescue Me and a Dolphin!

Headache

Hi everyone, obviously new member here and I'd like to become a more active one provided I can make this happen.  Due to disability health issues(mine) and fed up with mechanical issues(his) a friend is giving me a 1986 Dolphin.  Problem is at this time it must be towed(owners don't want people coming and going, its a git and get situation) and I'm 2100 miles away.

I was hoping I could find/pay someone to rescue and babysit it until I could get out there in Sept.  I'd also pay to go through it and make me a grocery list of what's wrong.  All I know is that there is a crate motor in it and he wasn't able to get it to run right after that and now it's sat for a year. He used it all the time up until then.  Of course I have a Toyota buddy that can help me diagnose and fix anything on the Toy part of it but he's in WA and the Dolphin is in PA south of Salamanca NY.

He's giving it to me because I'm on a fixed income(meaning I can't buy anything decent) so I always end up getting junk and fixing it up.  What can I say?  I'm a glutton for punishment!  I'm in a van with no high top right now and being hunched over all the time sure is fun with spinal arthritis.  I want it because I can stand up, it has a toilet and I can pop the hood and reach everything, unlike my van. 

Help me make a new dream happen?

Where are you and where is it?

No money means your never getting that thing to where you are. Even if someone wanted to help the gas would be staggering. Not to mention it's near Salamanca. I know the area, freezing winters and tons of rain. Very possible it's not salvageable at all. Even if you drove your van to Pa and managed to get it running and then drove it back to somewhere out west which I assume is where you are, the gas costs for that just added up to more than a reasonably priced motorhome. Not a good idea

Linda S

1 hour ago, WME said:

Where are you and where is it?

I posted the general location above and at the moment I am heading home which isn't relevant.  Sorry I've been stalked before so I'm pretty reluctant to divulge where I am unless it's necessary. 

Edited by Headache

1 hour ago, linda s said:

No money means your never getting that thing to where you are. Even if someone wanted to help the gas would be staggering. Not to mention it's near Salamanca. I know the area, freezing winters and tons of rain. Very possible it's not salvageable at all. Even if you drove your van to Pa and managed to get it running and then drove it back to somewhere out west which I assume is where you are, the gas costs for that just added up to more than a reasonably priced motorhome. Not a good idea

Linda S

I'm very familiar with the general area and the cost of gas and last I checked it's not going to cost me $5k to drive it home.  The most I've every paid to make the long drive was $1600 from MA to back west in an old 7.3 idi diesel.  I was a truck driver and drove from Cleveland to Buffalo and back for years.   

While generally helpful to others it's really not relevant to my situation.   I also never stated I had no money and offered to pay for everything I'm asking for.  Please don't make assumptions about me.  Thanks. 

Edited by Headache

If someone on this group does live nearby and could look at it for you that would be a start. I don't know what the laws are in Pa but in California towing an unregistered vehicle with the wheels on the ground isn't allowed. You have to trailer it. Just one more thing it might be a good idea to find out

Linda S