Full coverage insurance for old campers

Oldgriz

I have only liability insurance on my 1987 odyssey which specifically requires less that 55 days a year of use but my wife and I would like to use it more. But having a hard time finding full coverage because of the age of the camper. So I was wondering what and who all the full timers are using and  how much per year is it costing. Right now we have progressive and they will not work with us. 

So looking to up grade so we are protected.

Thanks oldgriz.

13 minutes ago, Oldgriz said:

I have only liability insurance on my 1987 odyssey which specifically requires less that 55 days a year of use but my wife and I would like to use it more. But having a hard time finding full coverage because of the age of the camper. So I was wondering what and who all the full timers are using and  how much per year is it costing. Right now we have progressive and they will not work with us. 

So looking to up grade so we are protected.

Thanks oldgriz.

I once had Progressive - got a quote from geico - much much lower.   Once I totaled a 93 itasca spirit - geico paid off with minimal hassle.

Recently got full coverage with SafeCo.  Nobody asked if I was full-timing or anything.  Cheaper than Progressive.

Full Coverage what does that mean to you? Replacement value of your rig? Or paying out how much if you rig is totaled? I couldn’t find Any insurance company that would pay anymore than what I paid for my rig regardless of how much $$ I spent  restoring my camper. The paid price is on your Title. They want an appraisal and it’s very difficult finding someone to appraise a 30 some year RV! I’m talking to all the different Insurance Agents from many companies and find your lucky to even get what you paid for it. I have Erie Insurance. So I have a good compressive/liability policy to protect other drivers in case of an accident but don’t expect to get much if my rig is totaled. Looking for others responses. 

I know that is what we are finding our rig only has 45 thousand miles on it. Maybe that's the key to it finding someone to appraise it?

My rig only had 34K on it when I started looking for insurance! The insurance adjuster @ Erie had no idea how to value my rig. Their only suggestion was to find an antique vehicle appraiser and buy a special policy for antique vehicles to receive more $$ then my purchase price. Doesn’t matter that I put an additional $3500 into her with receipts and her low mileage doesn’t mean a thing! State Farm, Progressive, Geico, Allstate all said the same thing and many don’t even offer insurance for an old RV except for liability. I finally realized that I won’t get any extra $$ for my rig regardless of its condition if totaled. Maybe things are different out West hopefully. 

My friend Dave got rear ended in his 4x4 Sunrader. Allstate paid him every penny it cost to fix and believe me it was a ton. Had all his receipts and proof of recent sales for 4x4 Sunraders and they caved. Still cost them less than a court case and Dave was ready to lawyer up . The deal is you can't cause the accident. Drive safely

Linda S

That’s probably the key Linda. Finding recent sales for an 86 Granville is impossible! 4 X 4 Sunraders are extremely rare and easy to value but shouldn’t be used as an comparison.

41 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

That’s probably the key Linda. Finding recent sales for an 86 Granville is impossible! 4 X 4 Sunraders are extremely rare and easy to value but shouldn’t be used as an comparison.

You simply put the emphasis on Toyota motorhome with the same year and style as yours. After all everyone calls them Dolphins anyway. Lots of Dolphins sell every year. Not to mention Granville is also the brand of a very high end class A motorhome. So there aren't so many of yours because they were so exclusive. Work it baby

Linda S

Hi Oldgriz,

I have a 1984 Sunrader.  I do not have insurance on the RV for “full time living”; it’s insured for recreational / part time use. 

Regardless of my intended usage, every insurance company I contacted tried to insure my Sunrader for the amount paid.  I only paid $2400 for my RV, so I insisted they insure it for the actual market value, NOT the purchase price.  They all said that was impossible (most agents had never heard of a Sunrader before, and all of the agents said it was insane to think an RV from 1984 would appreciate in value).  Meanwhile, a 4x4 Sunrader had JUST sold in my very own county for over $14,000!!  So I refused to back down.

I asked the last agent I called (at GoodSam) to insure it for the current market value.  He argued like every one before him.  I asked him to please just do an internet search for recent sold prices of Sunraders.  He did and then begrudgingly insured it, at my asking price, of a totaled out amount of $9000, what my RV could possibly fetch in this market.  The policy is through Progressive.

I have had difficulty with filing claims on the Sunrader however.  I had a windshield repair last month that was painful & protracted (needlessly so as I have full glass coverage at a zero deductable).  I started a claim for March water damage - due to weather / terrible storms here - causing leaking from the roof vent pipe - and Progressive made the process absolutely miserable.  They asked to speak to the previous owner, asked me to show proof I had indeed paid for the policy, and more...  I finally gave up in May and dropped that claim. 

That’s my insurance journey so far!  I’m not in love with Progressive, but I AM excited for the amount I got the Sunrader insured for.  Like Linda said - don’t give in on the value it’s insured for.  Good luck to you!

8 hours ago, roadtriprachel said:

Hi Oldgriz,

I have a 1984 Sunrader.  I do not have insurance on the RV for “full time living”; it’s insured for recreational / part time use. 

Regardless of my intended usage, every insurance company I contacted tried to insure my Sunrader for the amount paid.  I only paid $2400 for my RV, so I insisted they insure it for the actual market value, NOT the purchase price.  They all said that was impossible (most agents had never heard of a Sunrader before, and all of the agents said it was insane to think an RV from 1984 would appreciate in value).  Meanwhile, a 4x4 Sunrader had JUST sold in my very own county for over $14,000!!  So I refused to back down.

I asked the last agent I called (at GoodSam) to insure it for the current market value.  He argued like every one before him.  I asked him to please just do an internet search for recent sold prices of Sunraders.  He did and then begrudgingly insured it, at my asking price, of a totaled out amount of $9000, what my RV could possibly fetch in this market.  The policy is through Progressive.

I have had difficulty with filing claims on the Sunrader however.  I had a windshield repair last month that was painful & protracted (needlessly so as I have full glass coverage at a zero deductable).  I started a claim for March water damage - due to weather / terrible storms here - causing leaking from the roof vent pipe - and Progressive made the process absolutely miserable.  They asked to speak to the previous owner, asked me to show proof I had indeed paid for the policy, and more...  I finally gave up in May and dropped that claim. 

That’s my insurance journey so far!  I’m not in love with Progressive, but I AM excited for the amount I got the Sunrader insured for.  Like Linda said - don’t give in on the value it’s insured for.  Good luck to you!

That seems to be the game you pay for insurance but then have to produce the pope to speak on your behalf to collect on a claim.         Insurance is the biggest scam and progressive and USAA are not good on paying out on claims.

Yes I agree! I have a friend who’s an adjuster for State Farm. He said they will insure almost anything but when you start a claim Good Luck! Said they are extreamly picky and not your friend. I would have troubles getting even what I paid for my rig with them and certainly nothing more. I did what Linda suggested and tried to find Toyota RVs similar to my make and model in case it’s totaled you have something to go on!

4 hours ago, Oldgriz said:

That seems to be the game you pay for insurance but then have to produce the pope to speak on your behalf to collect on a claim.         Insurance is the biggest scam and progressive and USAA are not good on paying out on claims.

I had a better experience with geico.  Initially they "totaled"  my 92 spirit , listing a bunch of body damage at far less then it was worth.  Once I provided some ads showing real value $$ and I told them what I paid - $9k, they asked if I would accept that and I said yes - they paid off.  They also paid off contents, medical & trip interruption without any grief.  They also gave my Girl some $$ - she was banged up a bit in the accident ( I took the brunt).

P1000828-small.jpg

Just now, DanAatTheCape said:

I had a better experience with geico.  Initially they "totaled"  my 92 spirit , listing a bunch of body damage at far less then it was worth.  Once I provided some ads showing real value $$ and I told them what I paid - $9k, they asked if I would accept that and I said yes - they paid off.  They also paid off contents, medical & trip interruption without any grief.  They also gave my Girl some $$ - she was banged up a bit in the accident ( I took the brunt).

P1000828-small.jpg

Crap your lucky to be alive. Someone side swipe you.

Oh My Dan you’re Blessed to be alive!

46 minutes ago, DanAatTheCape said:

we slid sideways at about a 45 degree angle into the back of a semi.  It's bumper came in the drivers door.  My guardian angel had her hands full that day.

Snow and ice?

On 6/3/2018 at 11:29 AM, Oldgriz said:

USAA handed off almost the entire claim when the other insurance company (Progressive) accepted liability, which means that I am financing the whole claim while the insurance companies decide what to do.  Head-on with a drunk.  Liability decided on site by the law enforcement (I couldn't make up what actually happened!)  He was led away in cuffs; there were firearms involved; it was bizarre.

That was early February.  It's June and I'm getting dirty looks from the office staff at the doctor's office.  USAA rejects claims and Progressive only last week got in touch with me.  (USAA has been billing me all this time for coverage after they totalled the minivan in Feb.)  Having had coverage with both, I can't speak highly of either anymore.

Now you know why I am a new owner of a Yotahome.

20 hours ago, stayingretired said:

USAA handed off almost the entire claim when the other insurance company (Progressive) accepted liability, which means that I am financing the whole claim while the insurance companies decide what to do.  Head-on with a drunk.  Liability decided on site by the law enforcement (I couldn't make up what actually happened!)  He was led away in cuffs; there were firearms involved; it was bizarre.

That was early February.  It's June and I'm getting dirty looks from the office staff at the doctor's office.  USAA rejects claims and Progressive only last week got in touch with me.  (USAA has been billing me all this time for coverage after they totalled the minivan in Feb.)  Having had coverage with both, I can't speak highly of either anymore.

Now you know why I am a new owner of a Yotahome.

sounds like you need a good lawyer - good luck!