Towing limits 92 Warrior

hunkaman

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I would appreciate input from others. I was wondering if It would be realistic/ possible (with out potential major damage to drive train) to tow  a 1500 pound vehicle. the vehicle actually weighs 1312 pounds curb weight. with a tow bar I figure close to 1500 pounds.  most trips would be under 600 miles round trip, local to me in the Midwest (central Ohio), and not planning to go to the Rockies or farther west. any input, thoughts, experiences, would help before I actually purchase the vehicle. thanks in advance. joe from dover

Random thoughts...

1 V-6 power..probably OK

2 Frame extensions  marginal...The hitch has to be frame mounted, reinforced extensions to the frame required. The bumper ain't going to get it.

3 Brakes  marginal. .They are designed for a 4000lb pickup, and now they are stopping a 6000lb MH AND then you want to add another 1500lbs.....?

4 Even though the V-6 has a lockup torque converter  you will need a big transmission cooler. The locking converter will be unlocked a lot with this load.

P.S.

? I towed a 1000lb trailer through the Rockies with a hot rodded 4 cylinder. I had reinforced frame extensions and the hitch went through the HD bumper. The trailer had electric brakes.?

So what can you buy other than a motorcycle that weighs so little. OMG did you find a Honda 600 for sale? They are too cute. We like to poo poo towing but people do it all the time. I saw an beat up Dolphin not to long ago towing a trailer with a full sized truck on it. Either way I would buy that car if I'm thinking of the right one. It's your camper and you seem like a sensible guy. Decision is yours

Linda S

WME-- my rig has a frame mounted 2 inch receiver. also has a trans cooler. a larger trans cooler makes sense. I guess the brakes are what they are. not sure how you would beef up or improve on brakes. thanks for the insight, good info.  LINDA -- yes a 72 Honda 600 coupe, ironically, I purchased the same car in 1972. my first new car! I was 21 years old then!!! I paid under $1,800.00 for the car then. NOW -- seen a couple on CL and other places, in good condition for 10k plus, in totally restored condition, 22 to 27k  unbelievable ! if I only knew. thanks for the help. joe from dover.

I don't know if this applies but about a century ago I drove to another state to help my brother pick up his broke down MG. I had a van camper and 4 passengers for the way home. We used a tow bar and the bouncing of the van broke the front suspension on the MG. Those babies can only go up and down so much. I wouldn't try to tow it without a tow dolly. Front wheels off the ground

Linda S

7 hours ago, hunkaman said:

WME-- my rig has a frame mounted 2 inch receiver.

My concern would be the strength of the extended frame where it is connected to the truck frame. 1500 lbs yanking around is really going to amplify at the ext to truck connection. How many feet from the truck frame to the hitch? Another factor is how much does your rig weigh when you have it loaded for a trip? 

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

That's because they knew how weak the factory frame extensions were. Barely able to support the 'house'. :)

I've looked under there. I concur. 

The others issues mentioned in this thread are pertinent too.  

If you want to tow, you need to get a different rv

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey @hunkaman , what did you decide to do? We are looking at the possibility of buying a little trailer and putting our motorcycle in there, maxing out around 1200lbs, so we'd be in a similar boat with our 91 Warrior. Would love to hear what you ended up doing or not doing to help our decision making process!

The GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight) of 89 and up dual rear wheel, V6 Toys is 8500 lbs.   So with the rig loaded up and ready to go you weight it.   Subtract that weight from the 8500 lbs and that is what is available for towing. 

There are state laws regarding auxiliary brakes and it varies by state. Some web searching is needed to figure it all out.

I would not tow with my Toy because of the wheel base to length ratio. 

hey there rebecca k, i decided not to risk it. the cons out weighed (no pun intended) the pros. i am sure the frame rails could have been reinforced to handle the weight of the 600 coupe, but the other issues concerning the trans, brakes, etc. , made me walk away from the idea. too bad, because i was really excited about having another 600 to ride in while traveling with the winnie. good luck to you. joe from dover.