Making it water tight...

hollyrae24

So.... The walls are mostly dry rot. Especially the back and the cab over. It is not a project I can take on at the moment. My long term plan is when my son is old enough for me to do a massive project, I will do a complete rebuild... (2 years from now) 

For now, its all dry rot. I had a mold inspector check it. I need to get it water tight for the next 2 years so it doesn't develop mold issues (I live 1 mile from the beach). I'm doing all the obvious things like caulking the windows and roof etc... BUT... The rear bottom trim is falling off because the rot is so bad there is nothing for the screws to screw into... Same goes for the seam beneath the cab over. The rear is worse than the cab over.

Since I want to rebuild I dont want to use something like bondo to stick it together. I'm wondering if I can use the non-leveling lap sealant (which i'm using for the roof  seams) and just use a ton of it? Wedge a 2x4 underneath the back to force it together while it dries? same for the seam under the cab over? 

I'm a single mom with a 2 year old so no rebuild project, no matter how small is a possibility right now. All my fixes are "get it good enough for now" fixes. 

WOW!  Sounds like a basket case.   You might have to get a really big tarp over that thing.  Under a carport or in a garage is the real ticket.   Then I would get a de-humidifier and try to dry it out. 

Good luck!   You will need it.

It is dried out. Everything has been stored inside in the valley for 10 years. The rot occurred from the owner before them. That didn't answer my question at all. And what a negative response. I thought the point of this site was for people to be helpful. Sheesh.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:41 AM, hollyrae24 said:

... The rear bottom trim is falling off because the rot is so bad there is nothing for the screws to screw into... Same goes for the seam beneath the cab over. The rear is worse than the cab over.

Since I want to rebuild I dont want to use something like bondo to stick it together. I'm wondering if I can use the non-leveling lap sealant (which i'm using for the roof  seams) and just use a ton of it? Wedge a 2x4 underneath the back to force it together while it dries? same for the seam under the cab over? 

Pictures are always helpful to help people assess what's going on.

I wouldn't count on lap sealant for structural strength. I'm old school and prefer wood and screws or construction adhesive.

P.S. IMHO, Dan's advice was sound, given the information available when it was given.