Missing Part on Propane Tank?

EastBound

What's up guys -

I turned on my propane tank for the first time and noticed a cracked cap on the right side of the handle that turns on the propane. It pretty much disintegrated as soon as I touched it. I turned on the propane and it seemed like propane was spewing slowly but surely out of this spout that the cap once covered. I have never dealt with propane so I am not sure if it just needs another cap or something else is missing. Any help is appreciated..I am moving into this rig on the 1st so I am cutting it close. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3093.JPG

2 hours ago, linda s said:

That's a safety release valve. Here is some info on it. It might need to be replaced

http://www.propane101.com/safetyreliefvalve.htm

Linda S

Thanks for the information and link, it helped a lot. I was able to get my water heater and stove on with confidence. It looks like I'm going to need to get a cap for that relief valve, huh? I turned the valve to open up the tank all the way open and it hissed for a couple minutes until I turned it about a half rotation to the right (towards closing it) and the hissing stopped. Any idea why this happens? Too much pressure?

I'm no propane expert. Try having them look at it at Suburban propane on Monterey Rd. There are usually good guys there. Do not go to Amerigas in north San Jose. Not helpful at all there.

Linda S

Do NOT try lighting your appliances again until you have this figured out. Instead of Eastbound you might end up Upwardbound.

7 hours ago, EastBound said:

It looks like I'm going to need to get a cap for that relief valve, huh? I turned the valve to open up the tank all the way open and it hissed for a couple minutes until I turned it about a half rotation to the right (towards closing it) and the hissing stopped.

Not likely, but is your propane tank overfilled?   IE: is the valve doing what it is supposed to be doing?

Sounds like you need to address that valve --- before you get blown to "Kingdom Come"!

please take a good look at Linda's propane link.......

Edited by DanAatTheCape

The valve may leak at the shaft of the knob. The packing there can get bad. You really need to get some leak detector solution and verify where and if there are any leaks. I do not believe you actually need a cap where the old one came off. If it is leaking there you need a new valve. I had to replace the valve on our 1990 tank as it was leaking at the shaft and could not be repaired. The eye opener was that the valve was no longer available. I luckily found one, and I say again - ONE. There should be a name and model on yours. If you cannot locate a valve perhaps a propane company or RV shop can suggest the correct replacement or parts that will be safe. Anyhow the valve should never have gas hissing out of it in any knob position!