Generator Requirement

WinneSlogo92

I am looking to get a super quiet generator for my 92 Winnebago, primarily so that I can run the factory overhead A/C unit when a power source isn't readily available.  The RV isn't readily available, so I cannot give you the specs on the existing overhead A/C unit.  Much appreciated if you can educate me as to how much power (wattage-start up/running) I will need in a generator to adequately do the job, while not overdoing it (extra weight isn't good for this 6cyl). Brand/model recommendations appreciated as well.    THX much

Very difficult to predict what you've got installed (A/C) and what generator will do the job reliably. A/Cs installed could be anywhere from 7100Btuh to 13500Btuh. Factory installed generators were anywhere from 2500W to 2800W (3000W?). For 'quiet', you'll want an inverter generator. Some report that a Honda EU2000i (1600W running) will do the job, others say 'no way'.

There are more and more 'Chindia' inverter generators available for less than the 'Gold Standard' Hondas. "Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer pick!" :)

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/inverter-generators.html

If you AC is 13.5 BTU like on my buddies 92 Winnie the Honda 2000i will Not run it! However it does run my 11.5 BTU unit. You will need a genny with more power than the Honda but I think you’ll have trouble finding a super quiet one! Good Luck!

Thx for the info and kind of what I thought, I really need to be where the RV is to see how many watts are required, but it is currently a couple thousand miles away and I was hoping to have the generator in hand when I matched up with the RV again.  There is a used 2400 watt Yamaha unit for sale locally that I was thinking of, but it sounds like that it potentially could be too small? I could do the memorial day harbor freight 25% off sale as well and go a bit larger, but really want to keep noise and weight to a minimum.

The Yamaha would be perfect!

that yamaha probably has lower continuous output number .  to run the 13.5 at sea level 2500 watts  is probably the minimum.  

an onan 2.8 can be shoe horned in the generator compartment , power cable has to move farther aft,

as you get to this size (2800-3000),  weight pretty much dictates you have to mount it.   -- 90 - 100 lbs,