OIL PUMP V6 1989 DOLPHIN

SCRIPAL

It appears that the oil pump in my 89 Dolphin is failing as the oil light illuminates on idle but goes away on acceleration.  It is presently at a shop and they are going to check the pressure to see if the preliminary diagnosis is correct or if there is another explanation.  Here is my problem:  A rebuilt replacement engine was installed in the Dolphin, so, it is not the original one.  The engine clearly shows it to be a 3.0 and it is a V6 automatic.  If the pump has to be replaced, I told the manager that I did not want an aftermarket unit installed but either a Denso or Asisin which I would find and let him install.  He agreed. Can anyone help me find the correct pump?  It is my understanding that the 3.0 was installed in other Toyota's and not just on the trucks.  How do I make sure I get the correct one.  Thanks

I'll put my money on the pressure switch. Try it their cheap and a common failure item.

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the oil pressure switch, actually I tried two thinking (and hoping) maybe the first one might have been a dud.  It's strange that the light only comes on during idle and not after acceleration.  No engine clatter, knock etc. and it runs strong.  I have talked to some friends who think that the oil strainer screen is clogged not allowing oil to circulate properly and tripping the oil light.  The engine is a rebuild and debris from that might have collected there.  Regardless, the shop owner told me once he starts the engine on a cold start with the pressure gauge on it  that should give us an indication what is going on.  Expecting the worst but hoping for the Best!  

OK the very first thing that sees oil is the pump so it's ware is minimal low oil pressure can be a plugged pickup screen (most likely not) or bearings with too great a clearance. If nothing conclusive is found a tweek of idle speed will probably fix it. This is a very common issue with the early V6 yet they still keep on trucking. 

Maineah, a mechanic friend of mine increased the idle speed for me.  Still the same problem.  The bearing issue has come up and I it is one of the many culprits that I have been told could be the problem.  This issue started early last summer just before we left for Montana. Because there was no chatter/knock etc., I decided to give it a go hoping I wouldn't blow the engine in the middle of nowhere.  I took her over 2,600 miles on all kinds of road conditions, ran it hard  including climbing mountains, never missed a beat and ran strong.  It is just so irritating to see that oil lamp light come on at idle and thinking what if?????

If you have already replaced the sensor and not fixed the issue you need to build an adapter and read the pressure where the sensor is. I do not know if there is another port on the V6 where you can also tap into. Anyone know what min oil press is supposed to be? I agree with everyone else on what it could be. If you have excessive bearing clearance then that rebuild was done wrong or broke in wrong. Here is another question for the V6 guru's. Does the V6 oil pump have a bypass valve?

did you hook up a pressure gauge?  I copied the pages from the service manual into a pdf - see my post above.    

You need to ascertain whether you have an indication issue or a real low pressure issue,

The repair shop was swamped last week and didn't get to the Dolphin to check with the pressure gauge, hopefully today.    By indication issue do you mean a bad/loose wire, dash cluster?  I read your download and it is my understanding this is how they will conduct the pressure check.  

DIAGNOSIS:  The shop conducted the oil pressure check today while I was there.  The was 0 pressure at idle.  At 1400 rmp the light went out and the pressure escalated.  I was told that their assessment was (a) bad lower bearings (b) bad cam bearings.  Either way, not good news.

10 hours ago, SCRIPAL said:

The repair shop was swamped last week and didn't get to the Dolphin to check with the pressure gauge, hopefully today.    By indication issue do you mean a bad/loose wire, dash cluster?  I read your download and it is my understanding this is how they will conduct the pressure check.  

by indication error - I mean that the oil pressure light is giving a false indication - gauges/ sensors/ sending units can all go bad.  That is why you install a known good gauge - to get a "2nd opinion"

4 hours ago, SCRIPAL said:

DIAGNOSIS:  The shop conducted the oil pressure check today while I was there.  The was 0 pressure at idle.  At 1400 rmp the light went out and the pressure escalated.  I was told that their assessment was (a) bad lower bearings (b) bad cam bearings.  Either way, not good news.

wonder how they were able to reach that conclusion.  a bad oil pump can do the same.

Taking it to an older man (like me ) tonight.  He is going to pull the oil pan for an inspection of the bearings, oil pump and screen.  He's familiar with Toyota's  and is skeptical of the repair shop diagnosis.  He's betting on the screen being clogged.