Onan 3.0 genset

86Dolphino

I folks

I'm Mike, I''ve been lurking here for some time. I've wanted a Toyota Dolphin for sometime now and started reading about them on this forum. Because of you folks my Dolphin has the 6 lug floating dually axle. And a few others  post have taught me to look for. 

1 week ago I purchased my Dolphin and I would consider it a 90% all original and in really great shape for 85/86. ( title says 86, badge on outside say 10/85) only real problem was some water damage in shower area. 

So I thought I would start by fixing the rattle on my Onan 3.0 Genset. When I bought the MH the lady fired it up and it ran, powered up the rooftop A/c worked the microwave all was good. It did have a rattle.  (Nothing crazy but noticeable). I ask PO if she ever tuned up the generator and she said no it's always worked fine.  So today I set off to fix the rattle and change the fuel/air filter the basics. 

So I thought it would be easier to just pull it out, so I disconnected the ground wire on bottom of MH from generator. Then I found I could just remove some of the cooling fins to get to the exhaust manifold to tighten it for it was loose. I got all the cooling fins around the exhaust off and tightened the exhaust pipe. I put it all back together with new filters reconnected grounding strap. 

Generator fires up it does pulsate some but the big concern is it no longer turns on the A/c or microwave. 

Anyone have any info that could help me? If not I'll have to run it in to the shop. My mechanical ability is strong from pulling motors to rebuilding front ends. I have just never worked on a generator. 

Many onans have a circuit breaker located behind the access panel. On my microlite it’s rated 25A. Check to be sure you didn’t trip this to “off” while working on the fuel filter. Also, if you have a transfer switch be sure it’s set to “generator “ position. 

Edited by fred heath

If it's green and in a box it's probably a 2800 Microlight. Generally they used an outlet and the camper power cord as a transfer switch. In the same compartment as the power cord there should be a female 30 amp outlet that the power cord will plug into that provides power to the camper from the generator. Some used a more elaborate system of relays but the most common was the plug and socket system cheap,simple, and safe.

well I feel foolish, but I'm just happy its working. I did not realize the generator powered the outlet inside my electrical box. plugged in my cord and Boom things started working.

Thank you all for your help. I hope to learn my RV inside and out and then I can become of use to others here.

thank you

If its a green single cylinder with sorta a separate generator its likely an AJ. If its in a green box with small black hatch its a Microlite.

The AJ is 3kw and the Microlite is 2.8kw

mine is the Onan 3.0 Genset. no green door.

Just curious how loud is the genny when running inside and outside? 

24 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Just curious how loud is the genny when running inside and outside? 

Well it wouldn't be too bad except I have a rattle in my exhaust. With that rattle it's a little loud but once I fix the rattle it won't be too bad.