Opinions- Ames Elastomeric Roof Coating for my Dolphin

83Delfin

www.amesresearch.com/product/maximum-stretch-liquid-rubber-reflective-roof-coating

I have done a lot of research and am considering using this product to seal the roof of my 83 Toyota dolphin. Does anyone have any experience with this? My friend is a contractor and has used it on buildings and says it would be perfect, kinda like rhinolining but thicker and much more flexible. (The promotional video shows a guy stretching out a sheet of it.) I am eventually hoping to rebuild the ceiling from inside and create a truss system like people have talked about in other threads, but i am currently living in the camper, and going into the rainy season in FL so it's imperative that i get the roof sealed up more permanently right away. My basic goals are eventually to pull out the rotted cross braces/insulation and rebuild it to support weight of walking on it, as well as supporting solar panels. (Pipe dream would be to have a solid enough frame to support a lawn chair or two as well, and/or perhaps for roof storage when i am on the go.) I was thinking spray foam insulation or the sheets of foam insulation...

When i purchased the camper a year and a half ago, it was leaking at the back vent and the hideously installed aftermarket "sunroof" in the cabover area, and the roof was a patchwork of tarpaper, and about a literal ton of old cheap caulk. We scraped all that off, took out the old VW bus window from the ceiling (which was framed in with what looked like door trim, the area between the right angles of the framing and the curvature of the window was literally just filled in with- you guessed it!  More cheap caulk!) and patched it with a sheet of aluminum sheeting, and we coated the roof, but the "elastomeric" product that my friend found for me turned out to be the membrane for between roof and flashing, and did not seal the roof AT ALL. It is, however, currently sealed up tight thanks to my new best friend, Flexseal... xD Eventually (when i am able to rebuild the ceiling to make it convex and support weight) I would like to install another vent fan in the cabover area, but that is another project altogether... 

In any case, I welcome any and all advice. I am not a carpenter by any means, but I'm fairly handy as things go, although on a limited budget, and keep in mind I am living in the camper with my two cats so repairs need to be tailored around those limitations at least for the time being... (I could probably find a place to stay somewhere for a day or two if needed but not more than that)

Specific questions:

If i do use it do i need to "rough up" the surface first?

In your opinion, is this stuff really going to flex enough to not separate when i eventually do rebuild the ceiling? It's not expensive if i do need to redo, but it would be a total pain, i imagine. The roof definitely sags currently, and there are a couple of baby swimming pools up there... but currently no leaks... (Thanks, Flexseal!)

Is butyl tape the same thing as rope caulk?

I'm thinking i need to take off all the vent fans and take out the ac, apply the roofing stuff up to the edges and then reinstall (with new butyl tape/rope caulk)  over top of the elastomeric? If so, any tips for this? (For example, how do i keep the roof coating from self leveling right into my living room or bedroom?) XD

If i use the elastomeric and later want to cut in that additional vent fan, is it going to be possible?

It is pouring rain at the moment, but i can try to post specific pics upon request if that would help!

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise! :D

Edited by 83Delfin

• 6 months later...

Many of us have used products of this sort on our rv roof. But evidently not this brand, so no comments about something we haven't used.

There was a guy on this site that did his roof with rhino liner the stuff you spray in pickup beds it really came out good wonder how it's holding up?

I did end up using the Ames, and so far its holding up really well after a couple months... it was really easy to use, I did 3 coats and still have half of a 5 gallon container left. It is a non tacky, rubberized surface, and does not peel or crack when I walk on it so far. Now we'll see about longevity...

Tried to post a pic but can't get it to upload. 😕

Edited by 83Delfin