Maxxair install

jhdbad

Just purchased Maxxair vent for my 90 Sunrader to replace vent over rear dinette. My question is where is the wiring ... do I splice into light or what?

thanks

I did the same as Linda wired to my lights. Took a dremel tool and cut a grove in the ceiling to put the wires and covered the wires with an oak strip. 

Any way to fish wires from light? As I recall not a long distance... not by rv now

thanks

It depends on the length of the "fish", Ive used welding rod as the tool. Several times good and several time not good. I hit a cross support of some kind.

I mounted my MaxAir in the vent by my upper bunk. I had no light near by so my fish was around 5’. Ran the wires through my upper cabinets out to the vent. My vent enclosure is solid 2x4’s so no way to fish the wires through the ceiling.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:03 PM, jhdbad said:

Just purchased Maxxair vent for my 90 Sunrader to replace vent over rear dinette. My question is where is the wiring ... do I splice into light or what?

thanks

In my research, I read somewhere that Sunraders came “pre-wired” at the front air vent, as A/C was an option at purchase. Sure enough, upon tracing of wires and removal of the internal air vent cover towards the front of the rv, I found the stub of the 14g wire that I read about!  It did not have a breaker in the panel, but was grounded to the bus with a separate glass breaker outside the box in the seat area. 

I ran a new wire back to the panel for our future install of a MaxxAir unit and am upgrading the panel soon to support it, and the new appliances. 

You may want to see if this is the same in your vehicle. 

1 hour ago, WenSun said:

In my research, I read somewhere that Sunraders came “pre-wired” at the front air vent, as A/C was an option at purchase. Sure enough, upon tracing of wires and removal of the internal air vent cover towards the front of the rv, I found the stub of the 14g wire that I read about!  It did not have a breaker in the panel, but was grounded to the bus with a separate glass breaker outside the box in the seat area. 

I ran a new wire back to the panel for our future install of a MaxxAir unit and am upgrading the panel soon to support it, and the new appliances. 

You may want to see if this is the same in your vehicle. 

When we owned a 18ft sunrader it had A/C on the roof. We removed it, installed a fan vent by rewiring / moving the 120VAC in the breaker panel to a 12vdc source.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:47 PM, Gulfstream Greg said:

When we owned a 18ft sunrader it had A/C on the roof. We removed it, installed a fan vent by rewiring / moving the 120VAC in the breaker panel to a 12vdc source.

I have not yet done research on the AC units--Do the new units no longer utilize the 12/14G wiring? 

41 minutes ago, WenSun said:

I have not yet done research on the AC units--Do the new units no longer utilize the 12/14G wiring? 

The new air conditioners are and use 120 Volts A/C (shore power). Most likely if you just have a vent that cranks open the wiring is probably there for 120VAC. You will have to pull out the interior shroud of the vent and look for the wiring. If the wiring is there it may or may not be connected at the breaker panel. The wires were sometimes left disconnected if no AC unit was installed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 3:17 PM, Gulfstream Greg said:

The new air conditioners are and use 120 Volts A/C (shore power). Most likely if you just have a vent that cranks open the wiring is probably there for 120VAC. You will have to pull out the interior shroud of the vent and look for the wiring. If the wiring is there it may or may not be connected at the breaker panel. The wires were sometimes left disconnected if no AC unit was installed. 

I did pull out the shroud on the vent and I found and replaced the A/C line back to the panel with a new 12G wire.  Based on what some of the others wrote though, it sounds like it is more common to install a fan as opposed to A/C the fans just tie unto 12V.  I'm still working out the kinks on panel upgrade choices and A/C vs. fan decisions... 

On 6/11/2018 at 3:46 PM, WenSun said:

I did pull out the shroud on the vent and I found and replaced the A/C line back to the panel with a new 12G wire.  Based on what some of the others wrote though, it sounds like it is more common to install a fan as opposed to A/C the fans just tie unto 12V.  I'm still working out the kinks on panel upgrade choices and A/C vs. fan decisions... 

What most do is just change the existing wiring that was originally for AC at the breaker panel, moving the wiring from the 120vac side to the 12vdc. Usually because changing out the wiring is impossible. As for a fan I just recently installed a Maxxair plus. It has a remote control which is really great. Found it on sale at eTrailer a few months back. http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan_standard_remote.php

I agree Greg! The Maxxair Deluxe is Awesome! I mounted mine by my upper bunk. It moves a lot of air and is very quiet!