Propane leak

I went to turn on the main propane valve and as I started, I could hear it leak.  As I turned it on all the way the leak stopped.  Anyone help me and give me some advice.

13 minutes ago, ports said:

I went to turn on the main propane valve and as I started, I could hear it leak.  As I turned it on all the way the leak stopped.  Anyone help me and give me some advice.

These valves are ment to be either fully open or fully closed. There should be no leak regardless of the valve position but sometimes these old valves have problems. 

Edited by fred heath

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It sounds like the valve is defective. It would be good to have the valve replaced and have the tank and valve recertified. I have heard that propane tanks are certified to hold propane for a given number of years; usually ten years. Propane tanks are not supposed to refilled when the certification period is over.

Permanent tanks like on the Winnie never have to be recertified. Replacing the valves on them is not a simple service either. Suburban and Amerigas won't service the tanks unless they are empty and have been removed from the camper. You have to go to an RV repair shop first. All not cheap and never simple. No easy answer. Mine leaks a little until I've got it all the way on too. Haven't blown up yet. Good idea to check it with soap bubbles if your worried. Soap in spray bottle. I like the kids bubbles myself. They really show if anything is leaking even a tiny bit

Linda S

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a 1987 Toyota Escaper, I went to turn the propane gas tank on and smelt gas, no leaking sounds. The tank has not been used in a while and it is registering at half full. 

Please advise and thank you.

i hope all had a wonderful holiday 😊

Edited by Sandune24
Addition

The shut off valve MUST be open ALL the way.

Where is the smell coming from, inside the camper or on the outside?

Hi WME the odor came as I turned the valve on outside. Don’t recall if I opened all the way, I just turned it backoff all the way.

See if you can tighten the gland nut under the hand knob. If this is Greek to you go to an RV dealer. Messing around with propane can be bad news.

Mix a little a little liquid detergent and water in a squirt bottle spray it on suspect areas a leak will blow some pretty neat bubbles. Old single stage regulators would often spit out a puff of  propane if they had not been on for awhile that's ok.

• 7 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 9:58 AM, Derek up North said:

Or a proper propane Dealer.

Anyone on Vancouver Island servicing these things? Propane leak on outside