Newbie with questions

ports

I just purchased my 1994 micro warrior and am trying to learn as much as possible and very happy I found this forum.  I  have a few questions to start.  When trying to access my outdoor shower, I couldn't get the lock to open and had to drill it to remove it.  Trying to find a replacement but Winnebago doesn't have the replacement cylinder.  The cylinder length measured 1 in.  When talking to Winnebago, they told me I would have to purchase a cylinder 11/8 in and try to make it work.  Any suggestions?  On my screen door I have the inside slider and an outside permanent piece.  There is something missing next to this piece on the outside that should have some type of door handle to pull screen open.  Any ideas what this piece is, if and where I could get one and any alternative I might do.  I can open the screen but would like to get this right.  Also I am having trouble locating the fresh water drain valves,  I read two should be under the range and two under the couch.  Can't even see water pump under couch or reach to find plugs.  ( I purchased my home from a woman who sadly lost her husband.  They had the home for 20+ years and took great care.  The reason I mention this is she was able to show me some things but he did most of the work)  Could he have had some modification as there are two stopcock valves coming from the area of the water pump that are easy to access.  These are a few of the questions I had.  I'm sure I will have more as I try to become more acquainted with my new home.  Anxiously awaiting all your expertise so my wife and I can get out on the road with all you veterans.  Thanks for this forum and sharing with a newbie.

hi and welcome. the locks you are trying to locate can be found at rv supply stores. such as camping world. also look online. another choice is to find cabinet locks, 3/4 to 1 inch dia. hole with straight or off set striker. trying to find some replacement parts ( door handle ) can be challenging. some of these parts are not available new, and you may have to find used, or innovate. the plumbing may or may not have by pass valves to the hot water tank and the pump. by pass valves typically make winterizing easier. posting pictures of the areas of concern really helps. good luck. joe from dover.

The compartment locks are pretty much standard RV stuff and I believe there are only 5 keys meaning you run a 20% chance of your key opening another's lock. I bought a camper that had some non working locks I just tossed them and bought keyless latches figuring if someone really wants in they have the key any way or could turn them with a screwdriver! Door handles are another story they came from the coach manufacture all though they are standard sizes it will be hard to find exact replacements.

So true about there only being a few keys. When I got my Nissan I only got ignition keys. No coach keys at all. Though I was going to have to replace the locks but turns out my Toyota Sunrader keys opened every door and compartment in the Sunrader section of my Nissan. Just in different places. Both made in Vallejo Ca only a couple of months apart.

Linda S

Besides everything else I am not I am a certified locksmith. Most compartment door locks are what is called cam disk tumbler type. If a key will fit into the keyway it has a high chance of opening the lock. The tolerances as compared to a pin tumbler type lock just are not there. Even if the key will not just open the lock many times just moving the key in and out or just getting crazy with it will open it. They are really easy to pick open. Many of the older coach door key locks are also disk tumbler. For the coach door, installing a deadbolt is a necessity. There are deadbolts made specifically for rv doors. For storage and access doors there are cam tubular pin replacements available. For referance here is a link to a tubular cam lock https://www.easykeys.com/1551_CCL_C-510_Camlock.aspx

Greg!  Thanks for the info.  I needed to get a 11/8 tubular lock.  The lock that wouldn't open was a 1 in lock.  Had to use the original off set cam with the new lock to make it work.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.