Hey I'm new to the community and let me say I'm very excited to be apart of this, me and my girlfriend have recently purchased a 1982 Toyota Minicruiser. We're going to need any advice you can give us in the coming weeks/months as we will be getting into a full renovation. Already we've found water damage and rott(see pics), I've looked through a good few threads here and noticed a lot of complete restorations so I know we're in the right place for help!!

Thanks Jacob & Jess

IMG_0889.thumb.PNG.64f6711ac77605a62462a857858d78c3.PNGIMG_0888.thumb.PNG.d8e1ab0b33136272654b147b8eb1eb20.PNGIMG_0890.thumb.PNG.c9050f6cb659a6e48db7e05dc414de96.PNG

Welcome to the club! I was in your situation about 2 years ago, and this forum has been an invaluable resource when I had questions.

To get to those questions, you might want to take stock of the situation. Do all the appliances work in all modes? For example, does the fridge work on propane as well as AC and DC power? Which parts of the interior do you plan to replace and which parts can you salvage?

Happy trails,

Lenny

Axel Question: I thought I read somewhere the older models had a recall on the axel, one being an inferior 1/2ton instead of the 3/4 or full ton. One has the 5 lug and one has 6 is that the only notable difference?IMG_0892.thumb.PNG.7f2cd8c03244b66013c7e7c90776d479.PNG

The 5 lug axles are dangerous and prone to axle shafts breaking which cause the rear wheels to detach from your mh. Not good if your driving down the road. 

The rear axle in your rig is most likely a GO82. This axle was more heavy duty than the standard 1/2 ton axle, but still only 5 lugs. 

When members talk about a 6 lug axle they’re referring to the Toyota 2wd full float 1 ton axle not the 6 lug axle available on some Toyota 4x4’s. 

'G082' is the differential ID*. It is not an indication of a 'heavier duty' 5-lug semi-floating rear axle. I have yet to see any actual evidence of a 'heavier duty' one beyond  what's written in the 'original' 'Axle Facts'. These were written by a 'newbie' to the Yahoo Group after a week of 'researching' the Group Archives. Unfortunately the 'statements' he makes contain quite a bit of 'axle fiction'. Written 13 years ago and nobody has ever managed to document the mythical HD 5-lug axle that doesn't require upgrading.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/toyota-differential-identification-18588.html

12 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

'G082' is the differential ID*. It is not an indication of a 'heavier duty' 5-lug semi-floating rear axle. I have yet to see any actual evidence of a 'heavier duty' one beyond  what's written in the 'original' 'Axle Facts'. These were written by a 'newbie' to the Yahoo Group after a week of 'researching' the Group Archives. Unfortunately the 'statements' he makes contain quite a bit of 'axle fiction'. Written 13 years ago and nobody has ever managed to document the mythical HD 5-lug axle that doesn't require upgrading.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/toyota-differential-identification-18588.html

So what's my best course of action? Find a doner axle and try the swap myself? If so what would be best to look out for?

On 5/5/2018 at 3:25 PM, Derek up North said:

You're wrong Derek. Toyota had two separate rear axle assemblies on the early 2wd trucks. The standard  1/2 ton axle had a 7.5” ring gear and unequal axle shafts (these axle shafts are still available). Not sure what the factory # was. The GO82 axle is a heavy duty version with an 8” ring gear,larger axle shafts which are equal in length. Left and right are interchangeable. They came standard on all 2WD cab and chassis’s. These axle shafts are no longer made and unavailable. 

Both axle assemblies are 5 lug semi float but the GO82 is the only axle used on the 2WD cab and chassis for commercial vehicles. 

Found some additional information in my archives. In 1979 Toyota sold both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. The 1/2 ton pickups  came with the 7.5” differential as standard equipment. The 3/4 ton trucks had the 8” (GO82) axle assembly and was used primarily for cab and chassis applications although you could order it as an upgrade for a regular pickup. At no time was a 1/2 ton axle used for any Motorhome applications. It was always the 3/4 ton chassis.The factory order was known as the “Z4600 suspension package with wide track rear axle”.

So as you can see as I stated above, Toyota produced two separate axle assemblies for early trucks. I’ve included axle information from my 1979 owners manual.

2B88657E-90F5-4F3C-B31C-AB3024274E38.jpeg

318A16A0-B0BF-4824-8C84-B68F2C904D93.jpeg

Edited by fred heath

Those don't look like the usual fake dual wheels. Is your inside wheel welded to the outside or will they come apart. It was the fake duallys that caused the problem. Would love to see the whole thing. inside wheel and outside separated.

Linda S

And your G082 differential is a 7.5" or 8"? I know nothing about a GO82 axle.

Every source I've ever come across says that axle code 'G' indicates an 8" diameter differential. Yours indicates (to me) an 8" differential and also all the 1-Ton DRW axles are shown as code 'G'.

Just now, Derek up North said:

And your G082 differential is a 7.5" or 8"? I know nothing about a GO82 axle.

Every source I've ever come across says that axle code 'G' indicates an 8" diameter differential. Yours indicates (to me) an 8" differential and also all the 1-Ton DRW axles are shown as code 'G'.

The GO82 has an 8” ring gear. Unlike people who sit at a computer terminal using search engines, I’ve actually done extensive personal investigation on this issue. I probably spent over 2 months on research trying to find an alternative to replacing the whole axle assembly. This included hours with a Toyota dealer parts manager even going as far as to see if these parts could be shipped from Japan. 

It’s your right to disagree with me but don’t suggest to other members that my information has no factual basis. 

Well, the relevant fact (as far as I'm concerned) in this particular case is that there's no 5-lug axle fitted with foolies that was excluded from the recall.

I've no idea which components from a 1979 semi-floating axle are NLA. Or if any NLA components are stronger than other components.

I’m not suggesting the GO82 is stronger. It is standard on all early Toyota Motorhome. It breaks just as described and not to be trusted. But is heavy duty compared to the 7.5” differential found on standard pickup trucks. 

The GO82 axle was unique to Toyota cab and chassis’s sold to the commercial market (including u-haul). There are no replacement parts available if you break an axle shaft. Upgrade to a 6 lug ff or other ff axle. 

3 hours ago, linda s said:

Those don't look like the usual fake dual wheels. Is your inside wheel welded to the outside or will they come apart. It was the fake duallys that caused the problem. Would love to see the whole thing. inside wheel and outside separated.

Linda S

It would appear to be the 'one piece' welded version, like these:-

00b0b_l25Ad00hNt_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_cjjOO17spLG_1200x900.jpg

25398962_1863763487266967_6506991187513423200_n.jpg

30 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

It would appear to be the 'one piece' welded version, like these:-

00b0b_l25Ad00hNt_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_cjjOO17spLG_1200x900.jpg

25398962_1863763487266967_6506991187513423200_n.jpg

Okay this helps a lot, thanks everyone! I will update tomorrow with the confirmation on the wheels.

So if your wheels look like the ones Derek posted and you live in Newfoundland, your best chance of finding a full float axle is going to Derek's and stealing it off of one of his campers. Not many to be had in your neck of the woods. What you can do is switch to single wheels. Your little Mini Cruiser can run singles fine. Get your existing axle serviced so you know it hasn't sustained any damage from the duallys. New bearing would be a good idea. Regular Toyota wheels from a 2wd truck will work or you could go up a size to 15 inch and get wheels from a 2wd Tacoma. Then you just need the right tires to go with them. We can help with that too.

If you just want to steal Derek's, I know where he lives. LOL

Linda S

14 hours ago, linda s said:

So if your wheels look like the ones Derek posted and you live in Newfoundland, your best chance of finding a full float axle is going to Derek's and stealing it off of one of his campers. Not many to be had in your neck of the woods. What you can do is switch to single wheels. Your little Mini Cruiser can run singles fine. Get your existing axle serviced so you know it hasn't sustained any damage from the duallys. New bearing would be a good idea. Regular Toyota wheels from a 2wd truck will work or you could go up a size to 15 inch and get wheels from a 2wd Tacoma. Then you just need the right tires to go with them. We can help with that too.

If you just want to steal Derek's, I know where he lives. LOL

Linda S

Checked my wheels today... they are the welded duellys. So should I continue on with my renovation and look for a new axle in the mean time or bring her to a garage to get the axle inspected now?(doing as Linda suggests)

All the garage can do is visually inspect the axle shafts for obvious damage. Metal fatigue is microscopic and requires special tests to determine if it exists. 

You will need new bearings and seals as well. There is no way to remove the axle shafts without destroying the existing bearings and seals. 

Its a judgement call. Do you soak a few hundred dollars into an existing axle in the hopes it will last or purchase a ff axle and know you’ll be safe.   Good luck. 

Are there any other rigs that have the same ff axle or is it just the campers? what models / years? I really appreciate all the help!!

Edited by NewfieBullet

Starting in I believe 1986 all Toyota cab and chassis’s came with the 6 lug ff axle. 

This would include motor homes, box trucks and any other commercial application where a Toyota cab and chassis would be used. Other members here can give you more updated information. 

My experience is with pre 1980 Motorhomes.

Edited by fred heath

Where he is located he would have a way better chance of finding the GMC full floater you put in your Gavalan. Going single wheels on his existing axle might not be the best case scenario but it's better than running foolies. I've been searching since this came up. Closest axle I could find besides Derek's is in Massachusetts.

Linda S

Unfortunately, Toyota FF axles are as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth in Canada. The C&Cs were never really imported here. AFAIK, U-Haul (or others) never used them in their fleets. Toyota motorhomes are rare here too, most being private imports. The few Canadian Toyota motorhome manufacturers were possible all out of business by 1986 and there was never a Canadian Recall of the axles.

2 hours ago, fred heath said:

Starting in I believe 1986 all Toyota cab and chassis’s came with the 6 lug ff axle. 

This would include motor homes, box trucks and any other commercial application where a Toyota cab and chassis would be used. Other members here can give you more updated information. 

My experience is with pre 1980 Motorhomes.

Toyota was producing C&Cs in both SRW and DRW form well after the the introduction of the FF axle in 1986. The SRW had a 5-lug, semi-floating axle. I assume it was the same axle they used in the 1-Ton SRW Truck.

My knowledge of pre-1980 motorhomes is limited.

1990 Chassis.jpg

1990 Specs.jpg

6000lb GVWR.jpg

1 Ton SRW 2.jpg

1 Ton SRW.jpg

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Where he is located he would have a way better chance of finding the GMC full floater you put in your Gavalan. Going single wheels on his existing axle might not be the best case scenario but it's better than running foolies. I've been searching since this came up. Closest axle I could find besides Derek's is in Massachusetts.

Linda S

Linda, Epping Auto Salvage in Epping NH had a late 80’s box truck in the back of their yard with the 6 lug ff axle and front hubs. Not sure how much closer that would be, but not something you would find with a normal search. 

The gm axle would work but you’re looking at 3-4K labor&parts. Lots of modifications and a custom driveshaft will be needed. They make no adapters for the factory driveshaft to accept the spicer 44 u-joint needed to connect the gm axle. New driveshaft $3-400 part only.

Edited by fred heath

36 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Linda, Epping Auto Salvage in Epping NH had a late 80’s box truck in the back of their yard with the 6 lug ff axle and front hubs.

You first reported this axle back in 2012. I'm not sure how long before that you saw it, but in 2012 you said it was already missing engine and tranny and there was someone on the Forum who said he was trying to buy the axle and wheels. If they're anything like junkyards around here, it'll be long gone.

P.S. Everything's a long way from 'The Rock'. :)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St.+John's,+NL/Epping+Auto+Salvage,+49+Jenness+Rd,+Epping,+NH+03042,+USA/@46.1431584,-66.4059514,1020776m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b0ca38e6b0aa261:0x9e1fd4001f12261f!2m2!1d-52.7125768!2d47.5615096!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e2f6b2128e128b:0xd3c7e2000de9ba62!2m2!1d-71.1031082!2d43.0315!3e0

Yes, time is not my friend. Seems like it was just a few years ago I saw this truck.

Still may be worth a call. Their inventory turns over rather quickly, maybe something else came in.

7 hours ago, fred heath said:

Linda, Epping Auto Salvage in Epping NH had a late 80’s box truck in the back of their yard with the 6 lug ff axle and front hubs. Not sure how much closer that would be, but not something you would find with a normal search. 

The gm axle would work but you’re looking at 3-4K labor&parts. Lots of modifications and a custom driveshaft will be needed. They make no adapters for the factory driveshaft to accept the spicer 44 u-joint needed to connect the gm axle. New driveshaft $3-400 part only.

Well Epping New Hampshire only makes it over 2000 miles away from him. The world is a very big place.

Linda S

One other option to consider. There are companies that make heavy duty axle shafts to order. They’re usually made from chrome molly or similar materials. Last time I did some research, they cost between $700-800 dollars per set. You have to send them your factory axle shaft for replication purposes. 

You would still have a semi-float axle. With limited access to upgrade parts this might be the way to go. At least you’ll know the shafts are new and strong. 

I believe Misha T (member here) may have had this done when his axle snapped. The company that made his axle shafts should have the dimensions on file. This would save a lot of time and allow him to still move his rig which he can’t do once the factory shaft(s) are removed. 

Edited by fred heath