Wrap Around Window Seal

jetalkington

5ae4e3d168d55_Raderwindow(Small).thumb.jpg.b738d2bdad9ace12eaef3f3f2aeb964f.jpg

I guess this means I will be pulling my front windows after all.  I just finished most of the basic maintenance on my new Sunrader and I came out this morning and saw this seal pulled away from the fiberglass.  It was not that way just two days ago.  I am not sure why it would choose now.  Based on the dirt line it looks like it was barely on the fiberglass.  I figured I will have to start though the windows.  I had seen where they resealed all the windows in 2009 but they must have done a crappy job.  Thanks to this forum I ordered the new seals from Amazon.  I am also looking for the seals on the rear cargo box.  The seal between the two halves is badly chipped and the top is bad.  Any leads would be appreciated.

Edited by jetalkington
Misspelling

This doesn't look like just a seal problem. Your window doesn't fit the hole. Only thing I can think of is that it's bowed out at the curve of the plexiglass. I had a problem one time getting my window pushed all the way to the corners. Maybe the last guys who thought they sealed it never got it all the way in. Can you show me a pic of that? Fiberglass in that corner looks to be chipped away some too.

Linda S

I am not sure  what picture your asking for.  I looked at the curve of the window and it does not look bowed out.  I see what you mean by the corner looks sort of cut in. Like some had trouble getting the corner in and cut a little fiberglass away to make it easier.  Tough to tell until I move the windows out.  Let me know what picture your looking for and I will see if I can get it.

Thanks

Stand at the middle of your front bumper and take a pic of the window bend. then take a step back and do it again. That should give an idea if there's a problem there. Don't damage your existing gasket removing it. The new stuff isn't quite as wide and you really need to figure out what's going on before you trash anything.

Linda S

Ok, got the pictures this morning. You can see that the corner is bulging out from the fiberglass.  i took from another angle hoping to get a better idea and it looks like it is bulging forward.  I don't think this is the original gaskets.  When I did the timing belt it was not the original timing belt. The belt was actually in great shape and did not need changed. So in this sunraders 28 year life someone has been working on it. 

Is this what your seeing?  I am hoping once I get it out I am not going to see a hole that has been cut larger. 

20180429_074514 (Small).jpg

20180429_074533 (Small).jpg

20180429_074604 (Small).jpg

20180429_074611 (Small).jpg

Yup looks like you might be OK. After you get it out you can check the size by taping it in place to make sure there are no big gaps. Owner of another Toyota site used Maguire's plastic polish to shine the window up while it was out and it really made it look nice. There's a video on this site showing the gasket being installed that I will find for you if you  need it.

Linda S

I'm surprised it wasn't already leaking. Did you pull the bed up and check?

Linda,

I already saw the video. I ordered the tool they were using. It looks like it made it a lot easier. I slept in it while it was storming so I know there is no water. at least then. But we haven't had rain for few weeks.    Thanks for the heads up on the Maquires.  Good idea on the tape. I will clean up the decal and the whole area while I am at.

I am curious why it would bulge out in the first place. I am guessing the person that put it in did not get it fully into the corner.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by jetalkington

Thank you guys for the help. I live between two big shopping districts so I will look for the polishes there. Gaskets are due Monday. Rain and storms due Wednesday.  I will wait until the storm risk passes.  No sense in hurrying.

I will post more when I get them out.

I actually have a bottle of that. I have 1,2, & 3.  I used to have an acrylic aquarium and that was the stuff that was recommended to take the scratches out of the tank.  I even know where it is in my shop.  Thanks for the reminder.

Yup I think the last people who did the window just didn't get it in properly and over time vibration forced it out more. I thought of that because I did it myself. Didn't get it all the way in but mine didn't pass the leak test right away so I knew to redo it. It's a bear getting those things in and I didn't have anyone helping me

Linda S

Hi Jetalkington,

Linda knows more than me about all things SunRader and I'm hoping she's correct on this one. If there are bad over-cuts, there's a way to remedy that. I had to fix the over-cuts on mine, but it takes some time and patience. (See below, hope I did the link right)  Once fixed, it's never leaked again.

BR, TG

• 5 months later...

I got some time and decided to tackle my front wrap windows.  I did get a lot of history with the vehicle. One of the previous owners was good about keeping receipts. They go back to 2001. In those receipts I found that the window had been reseated twice in 7 years. The receipt indicated the top corner of the window bulged out. So it seems me there is a problem, that I would not like to repeat.  I have one window out and cut a few pieces of the old seat , then set the windows back in.  Here are some pictures;  You can see when the window is just set in with the seal and not pushed into position, it bulges out past the top on the top corner. Then when we push in place like we think it is supposed to be it looks to us that the rear edge of the body is cut crooked, not leaving enough room for the seal and causing the window to have forward pressure on it. We are thinking this is what could be causing the window to keep popping out of its seal.  I am thinking to do a slight trim to make the body cut straighter than it is from corner to corner.  However, I admit I am not exactly sure about how much space that these seals are suppose to have to work right.  It does not seem like much base up the profile of the seal. Before I started cutting I thought I would ask here in case someone has other thoughts. Any ideas are appreciated.1181573696_20181003_150037(Small).jpg.30c7bbcef1351e7fad72d02048b6862a.jpg121241454_20181003_150218(Small).jpg.02f601faa02e8f3098ae1d6b6a913344.jpg1390781398_20181003_150117(Small).jpg.f67f0e33150ea1734a33903c159e921c.jpg

Just watched the video of our member installing his gasket again. His gasket looks even on both sides not so offset like yours. Your going to have to check. One side the slot is for 1/8 inch and the other 1/4 inch. They need to be installed facing the correct surface to seal properly. 

Linda S

That is how i put it in. But that gasket is just a section of the old gasket. i will have to look tomorrow to see what the new one looks like. The old one was siliconed in so i have a   couple hours  of cleaning and polishing the window.

Ok, I got my front windows resealed with a new seal and bead. I had to rewatch that video about 4 time and in slow mo to see all the little tricks he was using to get his in. It turned out to be a real problem. I am convinced these are not the original windows.  As I showed above I had to trim the rear fiberglass on the pass side about 1/4 inch.  I actually could have gone more but was paranoid and I got the window in.  The driver side was was as bad. I lined up the window with parts of the old gasket and the window overlapped the center divider section. I had to trim it about 3/8 of an inch to get the corners to line up.  Then when I tested the fit again I noticed that the lower corner above the drivers door was cut nearly too wide. The gasket barely covered it.  I got it in and water tested. No leaks so far. I will likely revisit it in the spring but I only outside to work on it and we are getting a lot of rain and tonight it is going to 30 degrees.  I do not know how anyone gets that bead in without the tool. It was a life saver.

20181011_154011 (Small).jpg

20181011_154015 (Small).jpg