1986 Sunrader 21ft. Help

Hello TM community,

I found this Sunrader.  My girl and I are hoping to purchase, fix up and see all the National Park in the US.  Wanted to ask for the groups help in what a fair purchase price would be for this 1986 Sunrader 21 ft. in it's current condition. I have no idea on pricing a motor-home from 1986. Owner bought it 8 years ago for $7,000 and lived out of it. Exterior is in good shape, interior needs to be cleared out and cleaned up. I have been looking at what similar Sunraders are going for on Craigslist but prices are all over the place. Would appreciate any help in the right direction.

This is what I know about the overall condition based on what the owner has told me and a quick walk through.

197,000 Miles

Owner says that mice have eaten some of the wiring in the engine compartment so it may not start.

Engine smokes out the back. Owner thinks the  engine needs to be rebuild or replaced. Any ideas on what this would cost? 

Tires – newish?

Breaks – newish?

Electrical – ?

Plumbing – has a leek

Fridge – old, works

Stove – works

Cabin A/C works broken outer shell

Propane Heater – works

Hot water – works

Windows have been resealed

New Battery

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also anything that I should know on fixing up the RV. Renovation costs? Pictures below.

Thanks,

Aaron

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

11.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

33.JPG

Mint condition 12 grand. I think the price he's asking is very close to fair. Maybe get him down a touch if you really think it needs an engine. Lots of work but they are just so in demand. It really needs all new tires too. Without having a mechanic look first your kind of guessing total cost to get it running. Look on craigslist under auto parts and search 22re engine. Lots of places sell rebuilt ones and do installation. Give a couple a call to get a better idea

Linda S

Thanks Linda, I was thinking of offering some where around $4000.  I think a rebuild engine plus instillation will cost $3000 to $3500.  Anyone know?

RV would still have 179,000 on the odometer.

Then I still have to fix everything else, plumbing, electrical, interior, tires, alignment. 

$7000 + a new engine would be $10k into it and not close to mint condition.  

Newish tires,  I don't think so.   And the weights on that one rear tire,  ridiculous amount of weights.  

Most consider 7 years old as replacement time for tires.   Tires of unknown history I recommend 6.

Hard to recommend price, hard to find one for sale. 

One of the worse things that can happen to a Toy is overheating,   but if you are planning on a new engine, not an issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tire+age&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

aaa.PNG

The ad says 4500 so I don't know where the 7000 comes from. Yes I found the ad for the one your looking at. It is a mess but looks fixable. 3500 or 4000 would be decent. Prime season to sell though and people are looking for Sunraders. Just hope some other guy doesn't beat you to it

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aaron!

My apologies for not responding sooner to your email message: been dealing with some health issues, plus have been traveling (in the Sunrader!!!) and working in places with no cell service (Big Sur, etc).

I’m an enthusiastic “Newbie”, an artist, photographer, baker, etc.  By NO MEANS an expert on these rigs.  My expertise in life has nothing to do with Toyota mini motor homes.  Haha.  These folks replying to this thread - THEY are the ones to answer technical questions.  Anything I have learned thus far, it was from them / this forum...

I found my Sunrader on SLO County (Central Coast/CA) Caigslist.  I paid $2400.  I then bought 6 new tires (stay away from tires-easy.com !!!!!!!  They sold me “new” tires all date coded 2011 & 2012 and stopped returnjng my calls when I discovered thier “bait and switch”..).  I then bought 4 new Bilstien shocks.  Found a backyard mechanic in my area who did all the work for $550 + parts I bought: oil change, new oil pan gasket, front end wk (ball bearnings, ball joints, tie rods, etc).  Then went to a tire place in SLO to have the “new” tires put on, plus an alignment.  Had a final “safety check” plus the rear shocks installed at a very reputable place in my town (Morro Bay).  Got the green light to hit the road, then I rolled out!  Probably $3500 spent - total - thus far?

Hope this helps!  And GOOD LUCK!!!

?

• 10 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 11:14 AM, roadtriprachel said:

Hi Aaron!

My apologies for not responding sooner to your email message: been dealing with some health issues, plus have been traveling (in the Sunrader!!!) and working in places with no cell service (Big Sur, etc).

I’m an enthusiastic “Newbie”, an artist, photographer, baker, etc.  By NO MEANS an expert on these rigs.  My expertise in life has nothing to do with Toyota mini motor homes.  Haha.  These folks replying to this thread - THEY are the ones to answer technical questions.  Anything I have learned thus far, it was from them / this forum...

I found my Sunrader on SLO County (Central Coast/CA) Caigslist.  I paid $2400.  I then bought 6 new tires (stay away from tires-easy.com !!!!!!!  They sold me “new” tires all date coded 2011 & 2012 and stopped returnjng my calls when I discovered thier “bait and switch”..).  I then bought 4 new Bilstien shocks.  Found a backyard mechanic in my area who did all the work for $550 + parts I bought: oil change, new oil pan gasket, front end wk (ball bearnings, ball joints, tie rods, etc).  Then went to a tire place in SLO to have the “new” tires put on, plus an alignment.  Had a final “safety check” plus the rear shocks installed at a very reputable place in my town (Morro Bay).  Got the green light to hit the road, then I rolled out!  Probably $3500 spent - total - thus far?

Hope this helps!  And GOOD LUCK!!!

?

Hi Rachel! Any chance I could get the contact info of that backyard mechanic... I'm in the SLO area! :) Would love to connect if possible

-Neil

Toys are cute no doubt, Raders even more so, but they are a real motorhome and have the same expensive parts as a larger RV.

Even with a newish engine, the transmission has 200kmi on it. The 43d is not overly HD and has probably been abused. Check the color of the transmission fluid, clear red good, burnt brown BAD.

Living long term in an RV is hard on the RV. Looking at the interior pics makes this even more likely.

Its the age of the tires that matters not how tread is left.  The front tires show alignment  problems or they were driven a long time with incorrect tire pressure

A WAG is that you are going to spend $4-5000 to make it golden. Are you crafty or are you going to be paying someone to fix all the stuff?

Your wanderlust dreams are very doable, just don't slap it together and hit the road. Fix everything right or you'll end up broke down alongside the road in Tucumcari NM.