Alternator dying

ndelorimier

Hi guys !

Looking for some advice regarding a new alternator ... I'm looking for a part number or to be oriented in the right direction in the search for the old alternator type .. the one with the external voltage regulator ... I'm in quebec, canada.

I have 12.6 v at the battery when the truck runs so it can also be the voltage regulator but from what i've heard they rarely go bad

Edited by ndelorimier
notification

34 minutes ago, ndelorimier said:

Hi guys !

Looking for some advice regarding a new alternator ... I'm looking for a part number or to be oriented in the right direction in the search for the old alternator type .. the one with the external voltage regulator ... I'm in quebec, canada.

I have 12.6 v at the battery when the truck runs so it can also be the voltage regulator but from what i've heard they rarely go bad

There were two types of alternators and regulators The Canadian ones were considered fridge zone as were some US trucks  they had relay type regulators the other ones were solid state regulators being a MH it's hard to tell what one it might have. the testing procedures were different. An old time trick with old alternators was to give it a good wack with some thing and see if it starts to charge if so the brushes are worn out. Don't hold me to this but I believe both used a green wire for the field supplying 12 volts to that would force it to go full charge if it didn't it was a issue with the alternator not the regulator. Some have replaced the old ones with a modern unit but I think the mounting brackets are different. 

Toyota used two different voltage regulators in the early days. One has 5 wires, the other has six. You have to match the regulator to the alternator. The 6 wire usually have a short wire with a green modular plug on the end coming from the alternator. 

I never said it was fool proof! Some time it works doesn't fix it but at least you know what it is.