1984 21’ Toyota Sunrader Remodel Beginnings

After a spur of the  moment purchase,  engine work was done and a cross-country drive from the West Coast to the East ensued.  During the drive, we didn’t actually use the “home” part of the motorhome, as we planned on gutting her and having all the electrical and other vitals checked and updated first, and remodeling her before using.  

She made the drive with minor issues considering her age!  We’ve begun the work to get her roadworthy and appreciated the many posts on this forum with all the sage advice!

So far we’ve removed and cleaned all the windows and are replacing all the gaskets before sealing and reinstalling, including making two new gray plexiglass wraparound windows and just got the new gaskets for those!  

I just finished replacing all the old clearance lights (look honey—the RV LED marker lights we are looking for are all on clearance!  Me:  Sigh~ No dear, that’s just what they are actually called...) Not Classic Sunrader clearance lights, but they certainly stand out!  Next will be the tail lights—thanks for everyone’s posts on these!  Will post pics of those once complete.  

BFFAB555-E620-4739-8F08-B1517C961D4C.jpeg

BAEBF948-1F1E-4754-B375-7CB9A367BB41.jpeg

4A8223CE-FA4A-4004-BD91-2FA537E3537C.jpeg

335D7F30-C1B4-4CC4-A598-CC2721CD3EC5.jpeg

Inside, the first to go was all the wonderful carpeting and dated fabric and we ordered new cushions. We Kilz primed and then painted the inside white and then added some gray for accent on the front and the back.  We put Hushmat for insulation and sound everywhere we could prior to starting the inside. We added underlayment and new vinyl rigid strip flooring.  The kitchen cabinets were reworked for a more modern look—all you Sunrader Purists, DON’T LOOK!

0DB29282-E9F2-49DD-AEB5-629057EFC2DC.thumb.jpeg.44530be4a25f6082b66132c31ad1c239.jpeg 

312567F5-4CED-463D-97B7-E6F6985AC7D9.jpeg

OK so I am kind of a Sunrader purest but not when someone is doing a bang up job making one like new again. Can't wait to see how it all comes out. You obviously know what your doing. Yes I cringe when I hear someone is gutting a Sunrader but only because so many lose interest and leave a wasted hulk instead of finishing the job. Love the floor. What brand of flooring is that.

Linda S

Hi Linda—

I’ve done some renovations in the past but never an RV, so I’m learning as I go.

Flooring is Smartcore Ultra rigid vinyl plank flooring from Lowe’s. It was a breeze to install on top of the underlayment, hides imperfections and is flexible with movement of the RV. 

Edited by WenSun

Lol!  Good eye, Derek!  Did I say I was a newbie???  

OK—pics!

We added a new side panel to the upper and lower cabinets, and lined the upper cabinets with padded gray vinyl in lieu of carpeting...  We made a new internal cutout panel fabricated from a cabinet cover panel, new countertop, cabinet doors, handles, drawers, faucet—we will be utilizing the original sink and the original appliances for now—your budget mileage may vary :)  IKEA and their As Is section has become our best friend of late!

FCAD62B2-FC86-4B99-A994-F5C45CD1F571.jpeg

19F26099-2F10-4453-B20E-C23108E1492C.jpeg

6EA50766-FC2F-405D-93C7-FA5173AEFB9D.jpeg

6318E54E-7FD4-4667-AF08-D8E3F69A30BA.jpeg

13FF8BAE-438D-4B81-8CF0-CA08D60A4B7E.jpeg

C66AC930-E845-4879-925D-A31BD1F27324.jpeg

074780C8-2556-4E28-A91E-A4D263E0F608.jpeg

OMG that is gorgeous. One of the sweetest redo's I've seen and your not even done. I want those cabinets. By the way someone here was asking about getting the shag off of the door area. Hope he see's this and you can tell him how you did it.

Linda S

Linda—

Thanks for the encouragement!  Did I say it’s not for the purist???  It certainly has been a labor of love (hate?)  Dry-fitting appliances and sink right now and running new electrical lines today.

As for the carpet, lots of elbow grease and a 5-in-1 and pliers for all the staples!  Will post pics of the door area and new trim surround once complete. 

Well looking at your cabinets is making me feel less pure every minute. My shorty Sunrader wouldn't have room for the drawers though. Love the drawers. Yes pics of door would be great. Still can't remember who it was that was asking. Derek will.

Linda S

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2018 at 2:25 PM, linda s said:

OMG that is gorgeous. One of the sweetest redo's I've seen and your not even done. I want those cabinets. By the way someone here was asking about getting the shag off of the door area. Hope he see's this and you can tell him how you did it.

Linda S

It was me, I figured it out, you have to take the black seal around the door on the outside. When you pop out the seal you will  find screw heads, remove the screws, but not all at once. Do it in three steps, left side then go inside and pull the carpet out from between the door frame and the 2 by 2 under it. Replace the screws back into the 2 by 2, then repeat on the top, and then the left side. It was pretty easy if you done count all the staple you have to remove. When done replace the seal on the outside, goes in really easy.