Lithionics

jetalkington

Does anybody have any experience with this company: http://lithionicsbattery.com/

All the batteries are designed and built in the USA.  I am designing my electrical system and have decided to go with lithium.  The have a full complement of batteries.

I have never heard of them.

Maybe for the house batteries, as long as you stay within Li+ battery temperature limitations.  -4f to 110f.  Not sure thats good enough. 

Here in Utah, we see winter temps as low as 0f.  While winterized, you could always either keep a remote temperature sensor in your rig, or bring in the batteries if it gets much colder.  The specs are indeed impressive.  

I almost put solar panels on my odyssey last summer, and these Li+ would compliment that well.  The smaller size looks much easier to deal with too, higher power densities naturally.  Always wanted to parallel my house battery... this may be the best way to accomplish that in about the same space.  Nice find.  Yeah, +1 on the do-it vote. 

My wife and I boon dock quite a bit.  We spent 10 days in a National Heritage site in New Mexico last year. We have our power use down pretty well. We have a 180 watt panel and two trojan 105 6v batteries. We camp mostly in November so we have to use the furnace and take an in house shower. Even with laptop use for netflix we wake up to a battery of 60%.  We turn the heat down, all the lights off and go hiking or site seeing for the day. With out fail we return to a battery at 100%.  We had no trouble for 10 days.  I am hoping to get my sunrader up with the same efficiency. So, for us, the solar panels are a necessity.

Li batteries are awesome, but you have 225 AH of lead acid batteries. Have you priced  that much or larger LI??

These folks also do LI batteries...https://starkpower.com/product/12-volt-125ah-battery 

Edited by WME

Only on Stark Power, and a couple others. I know what your thinking and your right. To get an equivalent power I would have to spend around $1800 and is it really worth it.  What started me down this bunny trail is my desire to change out the power distribution center for a progressive dynamics 4500 so I can have a charge wizard when I am on shore power. I have used these before and they are great.  I noticed on their site that the lithium batteries require a different power center. I am sure it is because they use a lithium charger.  So, I started looking at the benefits vs cons of lithium.  The only down side is the cost.  I have been giving some thought to installing the regular PD4500 with a good AGM. Then down the road, when lithium is really main stream and cheaper swap out the charger.  I do not know  a lot about lithium and just started looking at my options.  I can buy a deka  or similar AGM for a lot less and have more AH.  I am not sure if you have to vent AGM batteries as you do wet cells.  If not I can put it/them inside and swap out later when I can afford it. I am guessing they have to be vented as they are still a flooded battery.  I finish my timing belt this week, which turned into more than just a belt, and want to plan the interior.  The electrical is a major consideration along with how to insulate and should be planned and mapped before I begin.  I am just starting to think it through. I appreciate any input from this group.

37 minutes ago, jetalkington said:

The only down side is the cost.

I am not sure if you have to vent AGM batteries as you do wet cells. 

And a reputation for causing fires?

Venting? Not normally. BUT ....

http://rvnerds.com/2017/11/01/electrical-myths-part-4-agm-batteries-dont-need-venting/

EDIT:- A couple of quotes from the Optima Battery site:

"Q. Does an OPTIMA battery ever gas?

A. When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator), the OPTIMA will not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at excessive voltage levels or in extreme high-temperature conditions. In automotive applications, this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stays below 15 volts."

"Battery Safety Tips:-

Install a battery in a ventilated area for operation and during charging"

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/battery-basics/battery-gas

Lithium batteries need to be well regulated they are known to thermal runaway laptops, cell phones, hoverboards you know the things that catch fire. Just saying they really need specialized charging systems. AGM, gel cells are valve regulated batteries meaning under certain conditions they can out gas so it's a real good ideal to vent them. I run my camper on two 80 amp batteries and a 100 watt solar panel I do not use it in the winter but during the summer I can go indefinitely with that set up. The first thing to do is reduce your current demands get rid of any thing that looks like a light bulb don't expect to run microwaves leave the 50" TV home use accumulators on the water system make coffee on the stove things like that. 

Edited by Maineah
because I can