'87 Sunrader Rear Tail Light Replacement: LEDs

Iflyfish

I want to convert my '87 Sunrader tail lights to LED. I purchased these bezels to convert to LED. Anyone done this? I need to know what fixtures/lights I need to buy. 

Thanks, 

Iflyfishwithmyflasherson

Bezels.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Linda, I got it!!! Found the directions under a pile of paper......will share if anyone wants this. I have the complete instructions including install images. 

Iflfishwithlindas

59 minutes ago, WME said:

I am usually against spending 100 bucks on just some LEDs, but if you were doing this, would there be a real advantage to buying these and not a pair of

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bargman-84-85-Trailer-RV-Triple-Tail-Light-Red-Amber-LED-Incndscnt-Backup-BLACK/231434878513

that are already in a bunch with housing and all?

Great stuff!!! I have purchased the bezels and here is the list of required hardware.

Rear LED Taillight Replacement

Sunrader RV LED TAIL LIGHT conversion BEZELS - Replaces BARGMAN 1400. BRIGHT

( 391663445166 )

2 Rectangle LED truck and trailer lights- 5" LED Brake/Turn/Tail Lights w/24 High Flux LEDs - 3pin connector amber. Super Bright LEDS Part Number: RTA24 UPC:847781017687 $16.95 Each = $34

2 Rectangle LED truck and trailer lights- 5" LED Brake/Turn/Tail Lights w/24 High Flux LEDs - 3pin connector red. Super Bright LEDS Part Number: RTA24 UPC:847781017670 $16.95 Each = $34

2 Rectangle LED truck and trailer lights- 5" LED Brake/Turn/Tail Lights w/24 High Flux LEDs - 3pin connector clear. Super Bright LEDS Part Number: RTA24 UPC:847781017694 $16.95 Each = $56

6 Rectangle 5.3” Mounting Grommet for RT Series Trailer Lights and Truck Lights. Super Bright LEDS Part Number:GR-53 UPC:847781017700 $1.49 Each = $9

6 Right Angle 3-Pin Plug for Trailer and Truck Lights. Super Bright LEDS Part Number:PL-3R UPC:847781017786 $1.49 Each = $9

AR  Clear, black or white silicone adhesive and dispenser $3

12 Screw, Window Painted Black ACE Hardware $0.44 each #8 x ¾ Stainless Steel with Black Painted Head  $5

Total Cost: $210  including $60 for Precision Laser Cut Black Acrylic Tail Light surround bezels

Iflyfishsignalingmyturns

1 hour ago, WME said:

Thanks, I found the replacement info. These require a different mounting grommet. I need to do replacement for two reasons. Back up lights out, lots of excess sealant on rear taillights, and need to install a rear view camera and this will provide access to wiring, with new screws etc. 

IflyfishcomWME

25 minutes ago, neubie said:

I am usually against spending 100 bucks on just some LEDs, but if you were doing this, would there be a real advantage to buying these and not a pair of

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bargman-84-85-Trailer-RV-Triple-Tail-Light-Red-Amber-LED-Incndscnt-Backup-BLACK/231434878513

that are already in a bunch with housing and all?

Thanks, I found the info I was looking for. I have posted the list of parts above and if anyone wants pics I can provide them. 

Iflyfishconmiamigoneubie

Well Greg your Sunrader must have had the same tail lights as mine so you would have to done more than change the relay. You would have had to fill the gap because the original tail lights were much longer and also cut out some because they had a lower profile. Just don't want people to think it's a perfect fit

Linda S

Linda, are your taillights the old Reflecto-O-Lite model 1400? That's what's on my 86. No way those new Bargman lights would fit without extensive modifications!

On 7/12/2017 at 9:38 AM, linda s said:

Well Greg your Sunrader must have had the same tail lights as mine so you would have to done more than change the relay. You would have had to fill the gap because the original tail lights were much longer and also cut out some because they had a lower profile. Just don't want people to think it's a perfect fit

Linda S

You know what, your right, I got them mixed up with the gulfstream. 

IMG_0804.JPG

We thought so Greg! Is that your rig now? WOW!!

It used to be his. He lost his mind temporarily and sold it to Bernard who then sold it again. Don't know where it is now. It was an extreme WOW. One of the only king cab 4x4 Sunraders ever made and a turbo to boot. Sorry Greg no disrespect intended but damn it was nice

Linda S

Damn Man! So he doesn't have a Toy anymore? I can't believe that rig! 4X4 and Turbo to boot! Rear dinette, big Windows. I find my self drooling now. Why would you sell that Greg? Probably the Best Toy home ever made! Never knew one like that existed. You must have got Big $$ to even consider selling it. I know it's not by business but Man!! PS Thanks Again for this Wonderful Site.

• 8 months later...

I'm updating to LED. Besides changing the relay and filling the gap, does anyone know if a "Tail Light Converter" is required and which one?? The Bargman 30-84-103's have different wiring than the Reflect-O-Lite 1400's. The same light is used for tail, brake, hazard, and turn, whereas the old ones had only one function each. Anyone know how to make this work?

38 minutes ago, Jack M. said:

I'm updating to LED. Besides changing the relay and filling the gap, does anyone know if a "Tail Light Converter" is required and which one?? The Bargman 30-84-103's have different wiring than the Reflect-O-Lite 1400's. The same light is used for tail, brake, hazard, and turn, whereas the old ones had only one function each. Anyone know how to make this work?

If it has a single bulb, yes you need a converter any type made for a trailer will work instructions should come with it or printed on the device itself.

14 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Is this any help? Shame on Bargman for not having this type of info on their website!

That's helpful but still leaves me confused. The wires ARE labeled in the plastic as "Stop & Turn" and "Tail" (I believe). So that part is clear. I'm getting some very strange behavior though.

1. I have it correctly grounded. When I connect "Tail" it works correctly. All the LEDs light up. No brake, hazard, or turn.

2. If I connect my red wire (one of two) to the reverse light (this can not be correct because I know which wire is for reverse and this is not it), but then the hazards work correctly!! ...but if I connect the same wire to the same spot on the other side also, hazards don't work. No turn, no brake.

3. If I connect the one wire on the reverse light to the wire that went to the old reverse light, the reverse light doesn't light up. I checked it with a meter and it shows 2 volts when in reverse gear. No turn, no brake.

4. The old lights seemed to work correctly before I removed them, except for one with a broken socket.

I'm pretty new at this and also the wiring is very hackish. I just want to get pointed in the right direction because It's obviously not plug-n-play and I must be overlooking something. I'm going to order a new flasher but if I need something like a "tail light converter" then I want to get it ordered as well.

IMG_4174.JPG

31 minutes ago, Maineah said:

If it has a single bulb, yes you need a converter any type made for a trailer will work instructions should come with it or printed on the device itself.

It has a single bulb in each triple. It is for the reverse light. It is a single-filament #1156. I'd like to switch it for a LED replacement so all the bulbs will be LED.

On the old fixture (reflect-o-lite 1400), there are three incandescent bulbs in each one. Two are #1156 and one is #1157 (double-filament).

What is "any type" can you provide an example link? There seems to be a lot of different types, I wonder why so??

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Your lighting functions were correct before you started all this?

Well, except they were very dim and the lenses were all cracked, but yes it had brake lights, turn signals, hazards, and everything seemed to worked.

...then I had a rough trip through the mountains and everything started acting funny then stopped working. I almost got ran over a couple of times on a lonely highway because I was only going 20 mph or so (speedo quit) and I had no lights. No where to pull off and a cliff on one side. Very scary. So, I thought I'd start by getting some new lights and get them mounted, then figure out how to get them to work or take it to a shop.

Maybe there are other underlying issues, huh??

3 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I'll guess that the 'many types' might be to make them 'Plug & Play' with different manufacturers wiring harnesses without having to splice wires. Not sure if you'll find one for an '80s Toyota. A 'Universal' one might be required.

Something like this??
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EKW0DC/

Let me get this straight you have 3 bulbs? If you do then one is stop and parking one is for turn signals the other is reverse lights in that case you do not need a converter. One bulb in the set up will have two filaments (two contacts on the bottom) one is for the parking lights the other is for the brake light, the other two have one filament each the one behind the clear lens is reverse the amber one turn signal. If there is only 2 bulbs you'll need a converter. They make led replacement bulbs to match an 1156 and 1157. The 1156 is single filament the 1157 double.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:24 PM, Derek up North said:

Do you have a copy of the 1988 Factory Service Manual? It includes wiring diagrams.

Derek, no I didn't. That's going to come in handy. Thank you!

20 hours ago, Maineah said:

...one is stop and parking one is for turn signals...

Oh, that explains a lot.  I was trying to hook them together and that's why I had an extra wire. I'll try it this way next weekend.

Since both of the lights have red lenses, I thought they would both light for brake and both flash for turn. If I understand correctly, I can have it that way IF I get a tail light converter?? Then it should work like a trailer that only has one light on each side, except I'll have two (plus reverse)??

There may also be a short causing some confusion. I may rewire it from the connector to the lights.

4 hours ago, Jack M. said:

Oh, that explains a lot.  I was trying to hook them together and that's why I had an extra wire. I'll try it this way next weekend.

Since both of the lights have red lenses, I thought they would both light for brake and both flash for turn. If I understand correctly, I can have it that way IF I get a tail light converter?? Then it should work like a trailer that only has one light on each side, except I'll have two (plus reverse)??

There may also be a short causing some confusion. I may rewire it from the connector to the lights.

You could but why reinvent the wheel? It's an extra $30 you really don't have to spend. If you hook them together it will screw up your turn signals they will come on with the brake lights both ends. Be advised if you miss wire or short the converter you run a real  good risk of trashing it. If you think about the logic of separate bulbs you'll understand why the US for a long time was the only country that used the same bulb.

2 hours ago, Maineah said:

You could but why reinvent the wheel? It's an extra $30 you really don't have to spend. If you hook them together it will screw up your turn signals they will come on with the brake lights both ends. Be advised if you miss wire or short the converter you run a real  good risk of trashing it. If you think about the logic of separate bulbs you'll understand why the US for a long time was the only country that used the same bulb.

Well, I haven't had a chance to think about it yet but I just thought that's how it was supposed to be. The Bargman 47-84-104's have an amber lamp and at first that seemed like the way to go (more like a regular car) but at the last minute I decided to get 103's (all red) because the original 1400's were all red. I didn't pay too much attention to how they worked because I was never behind myself driving. I just checked that they turned-on.

I want to be lit up like a Christmas tree. It's dangerous out there for a slow vehicle and I want everyone to see me clearly at night. I almost got run over so I don't mind over-doing it a little. I've been kicking around the idea of a third brake light, or maybe a tailgate light. I don't mind saving-up for the right parts. I'd rather just take care of it now while I'm at it and the walls are out.

I might want to wire-up a trailer light plug too. If I put anything on the bumper (like a bicycle or such) it will cover the lights.

If I add a bunch of lights, will I need a gizmo to bump-up the voltage or something like that?? Still considering my options but I want to get this project wrapped-up.

Thanks for your help.  :)

10 hours ago, Jack M. said:

Well, I haven't had a chance to think about it yet but I just thought that's how it was supposed to be. The Bargman 47-84-104's have an amber lamp and at first that seemed like the way to go (more like a regular car) but at the last minute I decided to get 103's (all red) because the original 1400's were all red. I didn't pay too much attention to how they worked because I was never behind myself driving. I just checked that they turned-on.

I want to be lit up like a Christmas tree. It's dangerous out there for a slow vehicle and I want everyone to see me clearly at night. I almost got run over so I don't mind over-doing it a little. I've been kicking around the idea of a third brake light, or maybe a tailgate light. I don't mind saving-up for the right parts. I'd rather just take care of it now while I'm at it and the walls are out.

I might want to wire-up a trailer light plug too. If I put anything on the bumper (like a bicycle or such) it will cover the lights.

If I add a bunch of lights, will I need a gizmo to bump-up the voltage or something like that?? Still considering my options but I want to get this project wrapped-up.

Thanks for your help.  :)

The converter will only stand so much current if you start putting a bunch of lights in line you run the risk of losing them all if it fails. There is nothing but a bunch of diodes inside the little box they can only stand so much. Something else to ponder the voltage drop through a diode is about .7 volt meaning you will lose a percentage of light. A better bet save the money for LED clearance lights if you want to be seen. Trust me the KISS principle really does work.