Anyone tried using FRP (fibreglass reinforced panel) on exterior?

LittleShack

We are covering up the front over cab window in our Itasca and have been looking at the various options for material to use. We were given a 4'x8' sheet of FRP by a contractor friend and were wondering if anyone has used this product before on the exterior of their RV. It seems pretty skookum, flexible and can be used behind woodstoves. Just wondering how resilient it is to weather.

Thanks!

FRP aka fiberglass reinforced plastic, is used for interior applications. it is combustible therefore I would reconsider using it behind wood stoves. as far as exterior use,  plastic can degrade when exposed to ultraviolet light. there is a product others have used I believe it is called "filon" for the exterior of their rigs.  joe from dover.

15 hours ago, hunkaman said:

FRP aka fiberglass reinforced plastic, is used for interior applications. it is combustible therefore I would reconsider using it behind wood stoves. as far as exterior use,  plastic can degrade when exposed to ultraviolet light. there is a product others have used I believe it is called "filon" for the exterior of their rigs.  joe from dover.

Thanks joe from dover!  More research being done!

Hi LittleShack,

I know next to nothing about Itaska RVs, or what surface you're mating up to, but the FRP I have used is VERY tenacious and flexible stuff in terms of shock resistance and other types of abuse. Check bajadulce's build blog. I'm pretty sure he used FRP to fill-in his Sunrader wrap-around windows on his project. I believe he used the flat side out, as one side is "stippled" with little bumps. Polyester resin will bond to it, don't know about epoxy...  Figure on losing any cutting tool blade you use to shape or cut it. The fiberglass strands in it made short work of sawzall, jigsaw and oscillating tool blades I used.  Use a mask, the cutting dust is nasty-bad stuff.   One issue you would have is the difference in thickness of the existing skin and the FRP.  Also, on the sheets I used, the flat side is roughed to prep for adhesion to walls, so you would have finish work there, if you want an overall smooth finish.

BTW, what is skookum ?

PS- Second on joe from dover's comment re-stove backing. Even if the stuff didn't actually ignite, the chemicals released from the heat would likely be quite noxious. (Just my 2 cents...)

BR, TG

Ah, I get it. Thanks Derek.

California translation:- gnarly dude.

You can use tin snips to cut FRP, works well to trim with. .

• 3 weeks later...

I did use FRP to cover the front windows as well as the new roof.  In both cases, the textured side was roughed up (deglossed) with a disk sander and layer(s) of matted fiberglass added.  For the roof, I may have gone overboard by adding 2 layers, but it is holding strong.  With primer/paint, there shouldn't be any issues with UV.  The roof/front has held up seemingly great for about 10 years now.... wow time flies.

Here's a pics from the flickr album with the added glass setting up on the frp:

cochita2_036

And here's a good pic of the FRP covering the windows and other misc scabbed in parts.  Smooth side out - fiberglass added to textured side.

cochita2_048

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of great advice! Thanks a bunch! Did more research on the FRP and found painting it is the way to go. Just needs to cover the opening for the over cab window.