About full-time my Toyota. Adding another Coach Battery and need charging help.

Redrum123

Alright guys... 

I picked up a 90' winnebago Warrior and am converting this to go full time for the next 6 months while I travel the United states.

I've picked up a Generator * Energizer EZV3200P*  and am putting in two 6v 230ah deep cycle batteries Sealed underneath the table  as there isn't enough room to store in the battery compartment.

I will be running a 1500 Watt Power inverter independently to two outlets... 1. outlet will power The Fridge and Microwave * the three way fridge is trashed and replaced with a 120v Unit *   The other Outlet will be used to power misc. things like my laptop and battery charger for my camera.

I will use the 3200  Watt generator to power the AC unit as well as to Recharge the two house batteries as I know the Fridge will drain at an approximate 65ah a day... Add on top of that the microwave and lights/random misc stuff and I figure I'll use around 100-150ah of use a day off the coach  batteries...  The question I have is this....

When I go to plug the generator into the shore hook up on the RV. what is the stock converter rated at and is it going to be enough to recharge my house batteries in a timely manner?  If not how do I go about switching that stock converter out for a different unit that will be compatible with the rest of the wiring in the rig.

I will be going city to city and driving for a couple hours each day so I realize that my Alternator will pick up some of the charging needs but what other means can I use to effectively charge the house batteries to continuously run my fridge?

Is the stock converter in the old Bago going to be enough or what other options would you guys recommend?  I appreciate the help greatly. 

Andrew.

My stock converter was trashed when I bought my  Escaper so I installed a Progressive Dynamics 3 staged charger.  I chose a Model 9245 which is 45 amps.  This converter has a multiple rate charging system so that it charges at a high rate until you get a good base charge into the batteries.  It switches to a lower rate and will cycle on and off so that it does not boil your batteries dry and destroy them.  If the  unit is plugged in during storage it will also go through a desulfication mode that keeps your batteries topped off without cooking them.  

You may also want to put heavier wires in line all the way from your alternator to the isolator and then back to your batteries.  My Escaper had 8 gauge wires and I added another 8 gauge wire to get a better charging rate to the coach batteries.  I also added a digital volt meter in line to make sure that my isolator was working and I was charging my battery while the engine was running.  I was concerned about my voltage because I had two bad isolators that I bought from O'Reily's.  I now have a basic old school solinoid style isolator.  It works great and I can keep an eye on my charge.

Your stock charger is most like charging your house batteries in the 3-5 amp range. So Bobs converter conversion would be a great help for keeping your house batteries up. Lots of info here,...http://www.bestconverter.com/

A 100w of solar would add several days to your camping time, 200w of solar would run your refer indefinitely.

If you have a solenoid isolator you can connect the alternator out put to the house battery side, this will gain you .5v of charge at the house batteries and make a faster. fuller charge. The isolator will still work as needed and your truck battery won't miss the voltage as long as the truck engine and battery are in good shape.

sounds like a lot of weight you will be adding there, Guessing that genset will ride on the rear bumper.....    You will be near gross weight ....

A honda 2000 can fit  in the compartment behind the drivers seat (under sofa) - with minor mod - lowering floor.

one decent deep cycle battery and a small invertor for when you can not run the genset and you are in business.

this setup will NOT run the ac though

Depends on your AC unit. My Honda 200Oi runs my 11K AC perfectly! 

• 1 month later...

Duo-Therm Dometic 600 Series PENGUIN low profile model 600312.321 I have the Honda 2000i mounted to my rear bumper and can drive with the coach AC running. I’m not @ high altitude though but extreme heat and humidity. My cab air is not repairable but the coach AC cools the cab also.