Sunrader coach

Does anyone know how to remove the door opening frame on a Sunrader so I can remove the freaking shag carpeting round it?

Use a razor knife (straight and hooked blade) and cut it close if you can't "yank" it out from under the door frame.

What are you planning to put down in place of the carpet?  Cork?  vinyl?  More carpet?

33 minutes ago, turtle said:

Use a razor knife (straight and hooked blade) and cut it close if you can't "yank" it out from under the door frame.

What are you planning to put down in place of the carpet?  Cork?  vinyl?  More carpet?

Vinyl on the floor, have removed carpet on floor already, don't know about around door until I see what I have to work with.

i pulled pried and lost the struggle and left the shag on the door surround along with the stripe of shag on the ceiling. seems they epoxied it onto the fiberglass. My favorite was the self tapping sheet metal screws they used to put the shag in the cab.

Had to fill 67 holes in the body tub.

I can tell by your build you have a monterey liesure....sounds like same year as mine.

Edited by Totem

5 hours ago, Totem said:

i pulled pried and lost the struggle and left the shag on the door surround along with the stripe of shag on the ceiling. seems they epoxied it onto the fiberglass. My favorite was the self tapping sheet metal screws they used to put the shag in the cab.

Had to fill 67 holes in the body tub.

I can tell by your build you have a monterey liesure....sounds like same year as mine.

It took a lot of pulling and tugging on the shag with staples in it before I discovered the self tapping screws! Some of the manufacturing under the carpet is pretty crude, mine is a 85' sounds like the same fine fabrication as your 86'. I'm determined to get the shag off of the door, even if I have to take a utility knife and cut it out!

As for the shag roof piece, it looks like they glassed in a board then, I think they screwed the shag to the board. I think I'm going to find some burbur carpet that matches the headliner in color and put that in its place.

13 hours ago, sonny sunrader said:

It took a lot of pulling and tugging on the shag with staples in it before I discovered the self tapping screws! Some of the manufacturing under the carpet is pretty crude, mine is a 85' sounds like the same fine fabrication as your 86'. I'm determined to get the shag off of the door, even if I have to take a utility knife and cut it out!

As for the shag roof piece, it looks like they glassed in a board then, I think they screwed the shag to the board. I think I'm going to find some burbur carpet that matches the headliner in color and put that in its place.

Mine was manufactured in 1985 but registers as a 1986, its born on date is 1985. It was the first available year series of EFI 22RE motors when they began selling them with from Monterey. does yours have the 22RE EFI or is it the 22R carburetor model?

your discovery of the headboard on ceiling has me excited. I was too scared to pull too hard or break fiberglass etc so I wimped out on that part of my remodel, now I will revisit it for sure. when you get it off can you send pics?

Edited by Totem

13 hours ago, Totem said:

Mine was manufactured in 1985 but registers as a 1986, its born on date is 1985. It was the first available year series of EFI 22RE motors when they began selling them with from Monterey. does yours have the 22RE EFI or is it the 22R carburetor model?

your discovery of the headboard on ceiling has me excited. I was too scared to pull too hard or break fiberglass etc so I wimped out on that part of my remodel, now I will revisit it for sure. when you get it off can you send pics?

Mine also has the EFI 22RE, will post pics when done, don't hold your breath though!

10 hours ago, Totem said:

I bet our rigs were made in the same quarter! maybe even same month. Twins! VERY cool. Good to know someone that has same machine for sure.

Mine was manufactured (coach 08/85), Toyota truck (06/85). Still waiting to hear from Linda on door frame removal!

1 hour ago, sonny sunrader said:

Mine was manufactured (coach 08/85), Toyota truck (06/85). Still waiting to hear from Linda on door frame removal!

Mine is west coast version. Doors are different. Might not help but I will go look now. Well I can see screws from about 12 inches down from the top of the door but the top is completely covered by plywood or something covered in shag. I'm guessing you have to pry that piece off to get to the rest of the screws. I now I have seen other people who have done it but I can not find the pics anywhere. Sorry. I really don't want to pry my door apart. I'm old, I like shag

Linda S

12 hours ago, linda s said:

Mine is west coast version. Doors are different. Might not help but I will go look now. Well I can see screws from about 12 inches down from the top of the door but the top is completely covered by plywood or something covered in shag. I'm guessing you have to pry that piece off to get to the rest of the screws. I now I have seen other people who have done it but I can not find the pics anywhere. Sorry. I really don't want to pry my door apart. I'm old, I like shag

Linda S

Ok Thanks for checking Linda!

6 hours ago, Totem said:

I'll try to snap a couple pics of my shag door and header in  the front cieling to see if its same and post next week.

Thanks for all the help and interest I appreciate  the effort!