Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
grahamr83

Funky Gas Readings?

Recommended Posts

I searched the forum for something similar, but wasn't getting the info I needed. (sorry if this is a repost).

I recently bought a 1986 Wanderlust with 22RE, and had the pleasure of taking it for a trip last weekend to camp with the family. On this journey i noticed that the gas gauge rose to just under a 1/2 tank when turned on, but didnt move from there during the whole trip (100kms). Additionally, the gas light came on at part of the trip and I threw in $20 of gas to get he home (right now in BC $20 gets you about 2 gal. :lol:)

So I'm curious about what could be causing this weird crossing of signals. Sending unit possibly? I'm going to get under the rig to investigate this AM, but not 100% sure what I'm doing, so just getting as much info as possible.

 

Also, my temp dial doesnt seem to work either, so i'll be investigating that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your grounds,especially under the dash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

twenty bucks for two gallons ?? OUCH!! joe from dover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, grahamr83 said:

I searched the forum for something similar, but wasn't getting the info I needed. (sorry if this is a repost).

I recently bought a 1986 Wanderlust with 22RE, and had the pleasure of taking it for a trip last weekend to camp with the family. On this journey i noticed that the gas gauge rose to just under a 1/2 tank when turned on, but didnt move from there during the whole trip (100kms). Additionally, the gas light came on at part of the trip and I threw in $20 of gas to get he home (right now in BC $20 gets you about 2 gal. :lol:)

So I'm curious about what could be causing this weird crossing of signals. Sending unit possibly? I'm going to get under the rig to investigate this AM, but not 100% sure what I'm doing, so just getting as much info as possible.

 

Also, my temp dial doesnt seem to work either, so i'll be investigating that too.

Temp gauge does not work at all or just funky? Do you own a 12 volt test light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Temp gauge does not work at all or just funky? Do you own a 12 volt test light?

Temp gauge moves to just above "cold", but never higher or lower except when it's turned off. Dont have a 12V test light, but can get one easy enough. (and figure out how to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hunkaman said:

twenty bucks for two gallons ?? OUCH!! joe from dover.

A bit of an exaggeration. But right now its $1.50/L = $6/Gal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok it's pretty easy. It will have a clip on one end the other a point. The clip goes on something metal (needs to be clean) the tip will connect to the wire on the temp switch (it's on the water outlet in the front of the engine) it will have a single wire remove it and stick the light prob in the end of the wire. Turn the key on and watch the test light it should blink slowly and the temp gauge will slowly rize until it reads full hot. It's the same drill for the fuel gauge but it will be hard to get to. If those tests work then the sensor is bad. With both misbehaving it is possible the voltage stabilizer is bad in the instrument cluster so be sure the test light blinks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, grahamr83 said:

A bit of an exaggeration. But right now its $1.50/L = $6/Gal.

Sticker shock for Americans in Canada! At 3.8 liters to the gallon it mounts up pretty fast! I was in NB once during the $4 a gallon era and thought I was going to have to take out a loan to get home.

Edited by Maineah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High but not shocking to me. In American dollars that works out to 4.40 for an American sized gallon give or take. Here in northern Cal I am paying 3.69 a gallon.

Linda S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×