Bought a 1990 Sunrader

jetalkington

I have been lurking and looking for months for a Sunrader.  I finally found one in California with only 52000 on it, 1990, V6.  I flew out last week to look at it. The guy I bought it from had no clue about motorhomes. He said he used it as a bunk house on the beach.  He never turn on the frig, stove or water pump.  I spent a day checking everything out and to my surprise everything worked.  Propane valve leaked and we took it to a propane supplier and they repaired it for $60. The seller paid. So, I bought it and began my trek home. 

I was hoping to make it home on the tires but only made to Winslow, AZ. Blew the right outside rear.  Fortunately I called Discount Tire in Flagstaff and they had 6 Yokohama 185 Class D 8 ply in stock. They said they see a lot of Toyota MH in the area and stock the tires for them. First thing I am tackling is the timing belt and shocks. Plus, of course, the basics, belts, fluids, and a more thorough inspection.  But I made it home 2700 miles at an average of 16mpg.  So, I am a happy camper.

I have rebuilt old trailers but this is my first motorhome. This one I am doing for me.  I work all summer ( I own a state park concession.) and only get to vacation in the fall and winter. I am planning to set this up for cold weather. I am a photographer and want to be outside getting picture. Hotel rooms ae to expensive and I get tired of hauling gear to the 4 runner.  I was a mechanic in a former life and actually worked at a Holiday Ramble dealership when I was in my 20's.  About 40 years ago.

I am looking forward to this build out and plan to seek a lot of advice here. I will try to post what I am doing. 

20180313_172048.jpg

Welcome! Any questions you may have can be answered by the Experts here! 

Hi!  I’m not an expert by any means - totally new to the RV world.  But I wanted to welcome you.  This forum is amazing and the folks here are really helpful.  I too just bought a Sunrader (in Feb, it’s an ‘84), and am also a photographer!:D

Thanks for the welcomes. This project should be fun. I was fortunate in that this one is a 1990 on title and from the mfg. It also missed all the recalls. I check the VIN with Toyota and was told by them there is never been a recall for this vin.  So I start on it after I get this timing belt done.

Thanks for this. My local Toyota dealer is terrible. So, it is likely they knew the number fell in the range and did not tell me.  What exactly is the  campaign. I knew about head gasket issue but I can not find any evidence of a leak or any issues.

I checked on the Toyota website: https://www.toyota.com/recall

It came back with no open recalls or service campaigns on this vehicle.  

In looking at what you've posted my number is between the numbers on the policy adjustment but below the numbers involved in the service campaign.  My number ends with 0012801.

So, it looks like it is involved in the policy adjustment. I am guessing that means they gave it the special extended warranty but it was not directly involved  in vehicles that had the problem.  Again I am just guessing at what I am seeing and could be out in left field.

In doing some more research it looks like some early 1990 did not experience the problem and that is started in late 1990.  https://www.justanswer.com/toyota/3kmlf-toyota-recall-cylinder-head-gasket-issues.html

Maybe I lucked out. That would not be the usual for me.

Edited by jetalkington

The best I can suggest is that you stop by a Dealer Service Dept with the VIN. The SPA was (I believe) open for 8 years so it's possible the HG was done within the 8 years. But if it was done, I don't think the Toyota Recall website would show it. Later Toyotas that were eligible and it was done, the website simply says 'No open ...'. But a Dealer computer should be able to pull up the complete history that would tell you if, when and where it was done.

Thanks, I did that before I bought it. Two different dealers and all they had were a couple sales when it was in dealer. Minimal service work must have been done at Toyota. Plus in 2010 it was bought by the owner of a Toyota  dealer 80 miles from here and all they had was the their service records and the records of the work the owner had done. Which was quite a bit. New hot water heater and all the windows were resealed. That doesn't mean it was never done. If I had it and didn't know about the recall I would probably fix it myself or have it done by a non Toyota garage. Toyota wouldn't have any of those records.

It ran great for 2700 miles. Did not loose any antifreeze. So, I am just going with it and keep an eye on it. Not much else to do anyway.  No symptoms of any problems. I will finish the timing belt and water pump by early next week.  I am curious what shape the belt is in. 

Thanks for all the help.