Curtain between cab and coach

KGordon

I’m interested in making a new curtain to separate the cab and coach so that the cab AC can cool us when we’re driving and for privacy when camping. The original is long gone, so I looking for pictures and information on how they are attached .   Last summer I just hung a length of polartech across the opening and anchored it by stuffing it under the cabover cushions. It worked, but wasn’t perfect.  I’m toying (?) with several options, but am interested in how others have done this. That curtain seems to be missing in all of the  eye candy rehab photos I’ve looked at, except for one rig where the cabover privacy curtain came to the floor. 

I went to a large fabric store and found a quilted multilayered thermal window fabric. Wife sewed a folded flap on the top and stitched a full length bungee cord in it. I screwed eye hooks on each side and would just loop the cord in them. She sewed a flap on the bottom and I installed a length of light chain in it. The chain keeps the bottom sealed and will go over things if need be.

In the summer a cheap clear shower curtain works to keep the cab cool with the dash AC

if you google RV CURTAINS, you can find web sites that offer the mounting tracks that are identical to the ones in my 92 warrior. they offer the sew in "tape" needed to mount your new curtains to the track. if you wish not to go with  "original" type of hardware for the curtains,  I like the WME idea as well. joe from dover.

I still have the track on the ceiling for the cab over privacy curtains (and the curtains as well, but I don’t like them) and I’ve found sources for RV curtain hardware.  However, I don’t want the curtain to go from floor to ceiling, since when I’m in the coach I want to close off the cab for privacy but leave the cab over open for ventilation.  

The solutions I have collected so far:  1) bungee cord, 2) snaps, 3) Velcro, 4) curtain rod mounted at the height of the cushions, and 5) nothing, just tuck it under the cushions.  I currently do #5, but am leaning towards #3 mounting the snaps on the top edge of the partition where they will be out of sight. 

my set up from the factory is as follows regarding the curtains for separating the cab over from the coach area.: the top or bunk area curtain( actually two curtains that meet in the middle and are kept closed with sewn in Velcro) slides on the ceiling mounted track. a separate single (1pc) curtain spans the lower portion (behind seats) and is fastened with snaps on either side. in this fashion you do not have one single curtain from ceiling to floor. if I am reading your #2 correctly, it should be like my set up, since the snaps are already there?  joe from dover.

I came up with a new cab/coach curtain last year, and it's working well for us! Looks a lot nicer than the original Winnebago-issue curtain, insulates better, and keeps out the light, too.

I picked out a "black out panel" for $13 at our local Walmart, cut it to length and hemmed the bottom. Used some heavy-duty metal snaps to attach it to both sides of the cab/coach opening—two snaps on each side (Winnebago used one on each side, but this setup keeps the curtain nice and tight, all the way across). This kit has the snaps I used; just fasten the "button" portion to the fabric (with a piece of thick felt on the backside for strength) and attach each snap-base to the side wall and/or cabover bed floor with a small screw. Easy-peasy to snap it in place when camping or remove for traveling.

Here are a few random photos of the process...

IMG_1685.thumb.jpg.dd695f4ac6f39589449a27e534621244.jpg

IMG_1686.thumb.jpg.f2b2fa983130693657e6a5d4c5937b05.jpg

IMG_1687.thumb.jpg.2c70c24e2219c87541a2ad3a52612265.jpg

The more I look at what folks have done, the more I like the idea of snaps mounted on the top edge of the cabover shelf.  Easy, tidy, and out of the way if you want to flip the cutout open.