Cruising the 101 at Paso

GPS_yota

Spent the weekend driving from SF to Paso Robles area, and passed another toyota motorhome on the way home to SF Sunday evening (6pm 2018/03/25). Don't know if the owner is a member here, but thought it might be interesting to compare numbers. I drove about 480 miles round trip overall. On the way down, kept it easy at 55 mph and got 15.2 mpgs. Coming back kept it floored (65 mph max) and got 12.7 mpg. Wind was mostly onshore so not a head or tail direction, but not totally sure. No problems other than headlamp burned out while driving.

20180324_091706.thumb.jpg.e51cca1735d6d1f165c7ef2792910106.jpg

Hi there!  That RV isn’t mine, but I do live in the county you posted about!  My only trip so far was to Ventura and Avila - 48 hrs quickie road trip back in Feb to test her out.  Didn’t clock mileage though.  Was just thrilled she made it there and back!  Ha! 

I’ve been hoping to connect with other Mini Toy owners here on the (Central) Cali Coast.  I don’t know the ettiquette: I see other toys parked in Morro Bay and want to knock on the RV door and say hi but always feel rude.  So I skip it.  I’m in MB with an ‘84 Sunrader.  I saw a Dolphin here @ the beach late in the day yesterday.  Was on my bicycle.  Rode over then stopped short - just felt so creepy coming up and knocking on the door...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there! Well to be honest I don't know the etiquette either, I usually just start with a wave and see where it goes.

I get notes left on my windshield, often from other drivers in the area. Usually a name, number, and note about themselves. I always thought it was a pleasant, non-intrusive way to reach out. Hope it helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I’ve been traveling, so not online much... just now seeing this reply.

Thanks for the suggestion.  But I plan to rely solely on this forum to find other road tripping friends: I encountered a lot of rude RV owners on this last trip and have no desire to go thru that again.  (Another Sunrader parked in the same lot as me in Santa Cruz, had thier door ajar, and when I called out “Hi there follow Sunrader” they reached an arm out and slammed the door shut!  Plus I’ve encountered enough unfriendly RV ppl these last two weeks to kill any desire I once had to connect with others beyond this forum...).

I see many so rigs on the California Coast, and I live here, so I’m especially excited to connect with others.  But I’m tried of the meanness I’ve been encountering.  Will just private message folks here that seem like we’d vibe offline.  But I am glad for you that folks reach out to you.  With notes and such.  That’s great to hear.

• 4 months later...

My wife Jacki and I live in SLO on the Central Coast just 13 miles from MB.  Would love to meet other Toyota MH owners.  We have a 1982 21' Sunrader.  We just completed a 4 month cross Canada trip and returned thru the central US to California.  We've had our rv 6 years this December and love being on the road with it.  We were in touch with two women who each have a Toyota MH and would like to plan a trip down into Baja sometime in January 2019.  Paul & Jacki on the Dragonfly.

Moved from Arroyo Grande to Humboldt county back in 2001.  SLO is a great area.  Used to work at DCPP.  Pismo Beach is one the world's best beaches, IMO.

We've met really nice folks over the past 8 years of our Dolphin travels.  Some folks like to talk, others don't.  

There seems to be no standard etiquette.  On the open road, we flash headlights, and the other Toyota often returns the same.  

I've noticed that our 84 Dolphin is usually the only rig of this vintage at RV parks.  We have no slide-outs, and no toad.  Exception would be one time up near Portland there was a vintage RV group.  We gave a neighbor a tour.  They also showed us theirs.

I painted my back bumper with some black "bed liner paint" from Rustoleum, today.  Tomorrow I re-seal the roof area, and will do an exterior wax job.  New tires to be installed next week.  We're getting ready for our yearly NorCal - Wisconsin - Nashville trip.  A month of fun.  In the middle of it all, we team up with two Canadian couples (wife's sisters) and we rent an AirBnB house in Branson MO for a week while the Dolphin hides out in Nashville at a kid's house.  We travel in the fall, because it is our rule... if we need A/C, then we ain't going.

Every year, on our way home, I think of selling the Dolphin, but we keep hanging on.  Every year we fix it up a little.  It's a very economical motorhome.  If I sold it, I'd want another rig, and the proceeds from the Dolphin might almost pay the sales tax and registration on a late model or new MH.

I ramble.