Sunrader Spring Repair questions (water damage and window)

ggwillisgg

Hey! 

My Sunrader Diane and I had a long winter and I need to do some repairs in the Los Angeles Area. Unfortunately, I have limited DIY resources because of where it is parked-etc. 

First, I have some serious water damage from a leak somewhere in the ceiling. I really need it to stop leaking, and obviously, the water damage to the wood is a problem for the future. I noticed that the roof vent for my stove, etc has a crack in the hard plastic. Anyone have any experience with this leaking? I have found replacements on Craigslist, and it seems like this is an easy enough DIY project, am I correct in that assumption? 

Next, my rear living room window broke out in a tragic Juniper Brush accident this year. Can I go to any old glass auto repair shop to get it done, or RV specific? Anyone have experience replacing these windows in the LA area have a place that you recommend for this sort of work? 

Thanks! I love reading through the forum. If you ever see me on the road in Southern California, honk and wave! 

I appreciate your input in advance. 

broken window.JPG

roof water damage.JPG

IMG_0395.jpg

The roof vent would be pretty easy. Just get a new one, unscrew the old, put new one on with buytl (putty) tape between flange and roof and screw it back in. As for the wood, if it has not completely rotted yet, soak it with pure ethylene glycol (what is found in antifreeze) which will kill any rot. This is what people do in the classic boat world to keep their wood from rotting. The boats they work on come from before the days of pressure treated wood. There are also paints or stains at hardware stores that have copper to treat the wood and keep rot from spreading.

As for the window, you can also remove the window and get 1/8 glass cut to size then put it back in with new glazing (rubber seal that holds the window in the aluminum frame).

Just so happens I will be doing these same two things this week on my sunrader rebuild. I will try to remember to take pictures of the process.

Remove the window that's broken and take it to a glass shop. It's flat glass and they can make a new piece pretty reasonable. It just un-screws from the inside but you need auto quality glass so no shatter problems. Reinstall with butyl tape. Ask if you need to know more. You have no roof vent for your stove. That's the sink vent or the toilet vent. Just buy one online or at an RV dealer. They are pretty much all the same. Take your time and slowly cut it away from all that sealant so you can get to the screws. New one might have screws in slightly different places. No worries. The butyl tape will seal the holes when you install the new one. Yes you might have to drill new holes.

I would be careful about using toxic stuff to kill the mold especially inside. I use Oxiclean. Won't bleach it out but the mold will be dead. Then Kilz to cover the surface and keep it dead

Linda S

A 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in a spray bottle works great on mold removal. Kills the roots so it can’t regrow. 

White vinigar and water also will work. 

I did not tackle the roof vents yet. Got side tracked with some other things. I looked at them and should be as simple as remove the old, clean opening, apply buytl tape to new flange and screw in the new one. It is going to be raining on me this next weekend so it may get pushed a couple weeks.

If you get the old one off an are really stuck, I could quickly do one of mine and take pictures, just let me know.

Edited by gmg