Recommended checklist before buying one of these older Rigs?

TimFresh

Will be going to look at a 94 Warrior I'd like to buy in a few days. 

Just not sure what items I should have on my checklist to know & ask the mechanic / RV tech about when I get it checked out. 

Thanks got the help. 

I'm sure others will chime in with more info, but this is what comes to my mind as an owner of a 91 Warrior:

• Check for water damage in the coach, especially around the cabover area (pull out the mattress and feel under it). Some signs of moisture are very common, but mushiness in the floor of the cabover bed or nearby walls is bad and will require significant repair (expensive! or at least very time-consuming, if you do the work yourself).
  • Check all appliances. No reason that you shouldn't be able to test the roof A/C, hot water heater, refer, stovetop, water pump, furnace, etc. With water pump turned on, look underneath coach to make sure water isn't pouring out anywhere (busted pipe/hose/fittings).
  • As we head into summer, I'd also like to know if the dash A/C works.
  • Check condition/age of coach deep-cycle battery.
  • Tires are very important! You want to see good tread and none aged beyond 7 years (date can be translated from codes on tire sidewall).
  • Ask to see any record/receipts that were kept.
  • For the V6 motor, you need to be sure that the headgasket repair has been performed, also verify if timing belt has ever been replaced (especially if miles are 80K or upward), and valve adjustment is another expensive/difficult item that probably should've been done around 65K to keep it running well and ensure that you're not burning up valves.
  • If there are airbags on the rear suspension, fill them up to ~60psi and make sure they hold pressure (no hissing under there).
  • Drive test: these things are slow but an empty Warrior should get around okay with the V6, keep up on the highway at 65mph. Also, keep in mind that these vehicles take more time/distance to stop, but should still have a decent, positive braking feel.

Good luck and keep us posted!

4 hours ago, Ctgriffi said:

I'm sure others will chime in with more info, but this is what comes to my mind as an owner of a 91 Warrior: 

• For the V6 motor, you need to be sure that the headgasket repair has been performed, also verify if timing belt has ever been replaced (especially if miles are 80K or upward), and valve adjustment is another expensive/difficult item that probably should've been done around 65K to keep it running well and ensure that you're not burning up valves. 

Thanks for the info ... my questions are ... 

I know the timing belt would be part of the general maintenance but what if the head gasket was never blown & hasn't needed to be repaired? As a Subaru guy I know that it will likely need to be done at some point but from my experience with subarus it's not something someone would do unless it was needed. 

Also Is the valve adjustment part of the general maintenance schedule or just something you'd hope they'd decided to do?

Btw this 94 has 94,000 miles. 

Head gasket recall: you'll find plenty of info on the forum if you search for this—there was a major recall on these motors and Toyota offered free HG replacements on many of them. You should double-check if this Warrior was affected, and whether or not the special service was performed (dealer can tell you, usually). 

Valve Adjustment: Yeah, this is part of the scheduled maintenance, and I'm attaching Schedule A from the Toyota manual to demonstrate this (Sched. A is for vehicles that get particularly heavy use, i.e. motorhomes, etc.) There is some debate out there on the necessity of the valve adjustment, but I can tell you that several of the exhaust valves were well out of spec (too tight) when I did my adjustment at ~85K miles.

1990-pickup-maintenance-schedA.thumb.jpg.c8094437dbd50631480eb31872bf8195.jpg

Thanks guys. 

Ill be getting the VIN tomorrow so I can check with the dealer on Monday & also get an insurance quote. 

6 hours ago, linda s said:

You must tell the dealer it's a special service campaign not a recall. Otherwise it won't come up in their computer. Best to print out and take the docs with you so they can't tell you it doesn't exist.

Linda S

Do you have a link to those docs?

Just looked up the VIN and it's due for the head gasket job. 

Good news is that it's still covered by Toyota & I might be able to use the fact that it was never done as a negotiating point. 

IMG_4887.PNG

Can we pin this thread for future reference.  It’s something that comes up often here and on other forums, and it would be nice to be able to link to it quickly. 

In my short time here on the forum the checklist has remained about the same.   Most of what is on the list is good info.  But the worst problem I have seen is overheating.  Most overheating can be remidied with normal repairs.

On occasion someone will get the unfixable problem!  Many parts will be replaced $$$$$$ different mechanics will be consulted and countless posts on the internet.  Electric fans will be added, custom radiators, lovered hoods,  power flushing, burping, parts will be re replaced, radiator upgraded.  One lady whom the last I heard even tried a misting system and did not fix the issue.

While this is rare, I am guessing the cooling passages in the block have been blocked with head sealant or radiator repair.  I have seen this 4 times in the last 3 years so for me personally if I were to look at a Toy today and it showed any signs of over heating I would walk away.      http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/8460-1991-v6-30-3vz-e-overheating-please-help/

cooling passeges blocked..PNG

Edited by jjrbus

23 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

In my short time here on the forum the checklist has remained about the same.   Most of what is on the list is good info.  But the worst problem I have seen is overheating.  Most overheating can be remidied with normal repairs.

On occasion someone will get the unfixable problem!  Many parts will be replaced $$$$$$ different mechanics will be consulted and countless posts on the internet.  Electric fans will be added, custom radiators, lovered hoods,  power flushing, burping, parts will be re replaced, radiator upgraded.  One lady whom the last I heard even tried a misting system and did not fix the issue.

While this is rare, I am guessing the cooling passages in the block have been blocked with head sealant or radiator repair.  I have seen this 4 times in the last 3 years so for me personally if I were to look at a Toy today and it showed any signs of over heating I would walk away.      http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/8460-1991-v6-30-3vz-e-overheating-please-help/

cooling passeges blocked..PNG

Very common cause of no heat from the heater. Used to be a "fix" that didn't, don't see it too much any more often used as if a little bit is good than a quart would be better.

5 hours ago, Maineah said:

Very common cause of no heat from the heater. Used to be a "fix" that didn't, don't see it too much any more often used as if a little bit is good than a quart would be better.

Of the ones I have seen on the net that had an overheating issue that was not getting fixed, none have reported back that is was plugged cooling passages or Magic Fix it in a can that caused the issue.   I suspect it is.   The last I heard Sherry despite the money and time put into hers had not gotten her over heating issue fixed.

I think you are right, first can did not work, lets use 10 more :  )   

Prestone makes a “flush&fill” kit. I’ve used them before with good results. You can get them at Walmart in the antifreeze aisle. They also make a cleaner that you use first before refilling with fresh antifreeze. I was surprised by how much gunk the cleaner removed from the system.

Edited by fred heath