A/C not working-1988 Toyota Winnebago Warrior

Shel24

Many possibilities. Does the compressor turn? Does the compressor cycle rapidly?  Does the light come on when you push the A/C button? Is the belt in place? Those are the first questions. 

When I started on my AC I had a tiny bit of AC knowledge.  I checked many You tube videos on trouble shooting and repairing AC and with the help of the members of the forum was able to get my AC up and running.

Bit of explanation,  I replaced the entire AC system, everything and converted to 134a.  $$$$

I simply turn the knob on the ac unit and it turns on. I see no lights nor signs of compressor activity. Our last Toyota Dolphin rooftop a/c unit blew cold air like crazy....

OK are we talking about the roof air or the dash air.

OK two different animals. Completely different types of systems. Had one before so you know how it works, It's either electrical or out of refrigerant not perticularry user repairable. 

If it’s roof ac I would suspect a faulty hard start capacitor. My roof air blew warm air but when I replaced the hard start cap. blows ice cold air now. Just a suggestion.

• 2 months later...

I would start with the simple stuff first. Check all air flows and air filters first. Are the blowers working? Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it? If air flow is good ( coils clean and no air flow obstruction) then we can move on to looking at the compressor. I would start by pulling an amp draw on the compressor,  is it running?  If not I would remove power and pull the plastic cover on the compressor there you will see three wires. the common (usually black ) it goes to a little round plastic over load and then to the compressor. It could be bad or weak you can check it for continuity if it's bad that might be the problem or part of it. Next check for shorts and grounds on the windings of the compressor.  Take your multimeter and set it on ohms you will have three pins sticking out of the compressor ( you have to remove the wire's first, take a pic with your phone)  common , start and run. Take a reading, put one probe on the common and touch run and start with the other you should get a reading (the resistance of the motor windings) no reading? Bad compressor. Now with one probe on common touch the other probe to bare copper lines coming out of the compressor  you might have to scratch the probe on the copper to get a good connection if you get a reading your compressor is shorted to ground and the compressor is bad. If it passes these tests it could still be bad, it could be stuck this would show high amp draw and the compressor will be very hot. Now if you don't find any of these problems. Then you will need to look at the start and run components and don't forget about the t-stat ( I unusually jump it out at the unit if it then works you might have found your problem).

Now for the disclaimer: you do this at your own risk, if you aren't handy don't do it. Some of the tests require power to the unit, having an understanding of wiring diagrams will be helpful. I know that the people on this forum are handy but electricity is a different animal that can bite you and hurt the whole time it's killing you. Again I am willing to give advice but I will not take responsibility if you hurt yourself you have to use your judgment as to your abilities.

Way too complicated! Test your hard start capacitor First. They go bad over the years and won’t hold a charge. As previously stated I had the Exact same problem as you and a simple replacement of the capacitor solved the problem! Many Utube videos on how to test the cap. 

Well just replacing parts till you find the problem is a way to do it, but it's the expensive way to do it. What I described above is what I would do if you called me out for a service call and would take about half an hour to do. How do you know a shorted compressor didn't take out your cap? If your condenser is clogged with crud and you have no air flow you won't pump heat. Are we in such a rush to do it that we can't take the time to do it right? We might find more then one thing wrong but end up with a better running system.

But to each his own good luck with it.

I mearly suggested to Test the cap first not just replace it.

No worries markwilliams1  I've gotton a lot of great info from this site and was just trying to give back to it.                                                    I have 35 + years in the plumbing, heating, air conditioning and refrigeration trades and also teach it ware I work. I'm old and slow the younger technicians do a third more calls then me ,but have a much higher call back rate then I do if you to go back and do it twice your not  making money. Something about being old and experienced (wisdom ).

I like the work you have done to your camper and I am thinking of trying the zep wax on mine.

I have No doubt about you qualifications Sir and Yes this site is Awesome! Thanks for your input and for the compliment. I highly recommend Zepping....not Led though Lol!