hello all. been searching for long time about some info on taking a 77 Chinook with the stock 20r with manual ( what I believe should be the w42 trans) and replacing it with an auto to make it easier for everyone to drive. will the a40 be the best replacement to look for in terms of easiest drop in? 

I know it's probably going to lose mpgs and power getting rid of the 4 speed but trying to make everyone happy is more important at the moment. ahahaha. 

really appreciate any thoughts on it. cross member changes? driveshaft length problems? radiator change or external trans cooler ok? 

thanks in advance for your time.

Everybody else wants to go to a manual from their automatic.

I dont think  you will find very many GOOD good A40 transmissions. The A43D is common and it is a fully mechanical transmission, except for the O/D. No idea about driveshaft length and cross member. A large external transmission cooler should be OK.

What is your rear axle ratio?

1 hour ago, azchinook said:

hello all. been searching for long time about some info on taking a 77 Chinook with the stock 20r with manual ( what I believe should be the w42 trans) and replacing it with an auto to make it easier for everyone to drive. will the a40 be the best replacement to look for in terms of easiest drop in? 

I know it's probably going to lose mpgs and power getting rid of the 4 speed but trying to make everyone happy is more important at the moment. ahahaha. 

really appreciate any thoughts on it. cross member changes? driveshaft length problems? radiator change or external trans cooler ok? 

thanks in advance for your time.

The cost would be exorbitant. Your 1977 came with the L-43 4 speed transmission. 

The A-30 automatic transmission would be standard for 1977. I doubt you could find one in good working order. The A-40 was used in 78-79 models. 1980 saw the A-43 (3 speed), the A43D (4 speed) came out in 1981. 

You would have to do extensive swapping of things like pedal assembly, crossmembers etc. 

It would be cheaper to try and find a mh equipped with an automatic transmission.

Your rear axle is a GO82 with 4.10 gears and 8” ring. 

thanks WME and Fred for the replies. ya lots of threads on swapping the opposite way.  it's mostly my ladies ride and she's never been comfortable with the manual trans. just trying to make it more friendly for her to drive.

like Fred posted it's a 4.10 gear WME. thought about the a43d but figured the O/D would be almost useless unless trying to change up axle gearing. but if it became just a matter of availability would consider it.

thanks for all the specs Fred. great info. sounds like if I tried to take it on, the a30 would be my best bet for a swap then if can find something reasonable priced in good shape. 

I'll be sure to update with details if I go through with it. cost, PITA factor, etc.  

thanks

OK so say you have to much time and money on your hands :P Find a later model truck with a 22R in it  and swap the engine and transmission in to yours. It will cost about the same to find a working 77 transmission. The slightly larger engine will make it easier to drive. The extra power in a Chinook would allow you to use O/D. Its a 2.2L vs a 2.4L thing. 

AND if your bored, just for grins goggle installing a 20R head on a 22block

that's pretty cool about the 20r head on 22r block.  great to learn about that kind of parts compatibility. thanks WME. 

are you saying the Chinook is underpowered? ahahaha. 

have given thought to full engine/trans route. not a lot invested in this chinook. picked it up pretty cheap so if gets too pricey to swap will search for an automatic model instead I think. 

I am also a fan of turbocharged rear wheel drive redblock Volvos. This may be a work around.

AW71Edit

The AW71 and AW71L was a strengthened version of the AW70 transmission used in the Volvo 760940, and some 740s and 240s with turbocharged and higher-output naturally aspirated engines. Some have been seen in 1985-87 240s with the B230F engine. Also was used in late model European-spec Volvo 260 series cars. North American market Volvo 260cars used the Borg Warner Type 55 transmission.

Identical to the Toyota A43D and A43DL except with different tailshaft housings and tailshaft flanges, both of which are interchangeable.