Barkeep Zep Cleaning of Sunrader

Iflyfish

A previous post on how to remove oxidation on fiberglass showed me how to refinish Casper, my '87 Sunrader. I am posting pre pics and will add to this as the project is finished. 

As a note of interest I tried WD40 and a plastic ice scraper to remove some of the silicone overage around the windows and it worked! I have ordered another product specific to this purpose ReMov Silicone Adhesive Polyurethane & Gum https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ReMov+Silicone+Adhesive+Polyurethane+%26+Gum  I'll let you know how it works. I also ordered plastic scraper for the job https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLWB0BM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the "pre" pics. The 5th picture down shows where I removed silicone overage with WD40 on the lower corner of the window. 

IMG_9784.JPG

IMG_9785.JPG

IMG_9786.JPG

IMG_9787.JPG

IMG_9788.JPG

IMG_9789.JPG

IMG_9790.JPG

IMG_9791.JPG

IMG_9792.JPG

IMG_9793.JPG

IMG_9794.JPG

IMG_9795.JPG

Edited by Iflyfish

3 hours ago, Iflyfish said:

A previous post on how to remove oxidation on fiberglass showed me how to refinish Casper, my '87 Sunrader. I am posting pre pics and will add to this as the project is finished. 

As a note of interest I tried WD40 and a plastic ice scraper to remove some of the silicone overage around the windows and it worked! I have ordered another product specific to this purpose ReMov Silicone Adhesive Polyurethane & Gum https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_0?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ReMov+Silicone+Adhesive+Polyurethane+%26+Gum  I'll let you know how it works. I also ordered plastic scraper for the job https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLWB0BM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the "pre" pics. The 5th picture down shows where I removed silicone overage with WD40 on the lower corner of the window. 

IMG_9784.JPG

IMG_9785.JPG

IMG_9786.JPG

IMG_9787.JPG

IMG_9788.JPG

IMG_9789.JPG

IMG_9790.JPG

IMG_9791.JPG

IMG_9792.JPG

IMG_9793.JPG

IMG_9794.JPG

IMG_9795.JPG

Mineral spirits or paint thinner will do the same job, but much cheaper. I use the 1” plastic putty knife as a scraper. Does a great job and doesn’t scratch the paint. 

Put the mineral spirits in a plastic spray bottle at let it sit a bit before scraping. 

Your rubber seal must have been leaking so either way it needs to be replaced. I would try to get just enough off so you could remove the locking strip and take the windows out. Windows can then be cleaned up on a flat surface with curved side hanging off. I like goo gone for removing that kind of stuff. The oil makes it roll right off. You will need new rubber seal.

Linda S

Looks like the passenger side front upper window is cracked. I think they are in the $275 EA,.+ shipping, range. There is a suitable substitute for the seal

12 hours ago, fred heath said:

Mineral spirits or paint thinner will do the same job, but much cheaper. I use the 1” plastic putty knife as a scraper. Does a great job and doesn’t scratch the paint. 

Put the mineral spirits in a plastic spray bottle at let it sit a bit before scraping. 

I am with Fred on this one, I have tried the silicone removers and they are a waste of money.  If the caulk is not silicone then paint thinner will do a great job on removing it.  I wet a paper towel with thinner and lay it on the caulk covered with plastic wrap on side walls I tape the towel and plastic in place to let it soak for some time, will come off easy (not silicone)  If it is silicone the thinner will act as a lubricant making the removal easier, still very hard. If you are lucky the person that slopped the caulk on did not bother to clean first, which helps alot!

I use a variety of scrappers depending on where the caulk is, including plastic razor blades.  My front window was so slopped up with caulk I removed it to clean and reseal,  it was a real mess, similar to yours. 

Edited by jjrbus

14 hours ago, WME said:

Looks like the passenger side front upper window is cracked. I think they are in the $275 EA,.+ shipping, range. There is a suitable substitute for the seal

Thanks, I had read that they were available. Any more info on source for windows and seals? 

Again great input from you guys!! Thank you for your thoughtful posts. 

I will post pics as this project emerges. 

Iflyfishwithmytoyfriends

OOPS Window is $295, this is the source.  https://www.adventurervnapa.com/

Window trim here. https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extrusion/locking-gasket/two-piece

If your feeling sexy they have a chrome locking strip

I guess Linda types faster than I do

Edited by WME

OK so is it Adventure or Advantage

Yeah not the fancy assed RV dealership. Deans is a small RV place that mostly does repair and mostly Sunraders. They almost completely rebuilt my friend Jon's after a serious accident. He was going to sell it but it came back so pretty he couldn't part with it

Linda S

Thanks Linda, good info. I appreciate your consistently helpful posts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Silicone project. The silicone was very thick and incredibly hard. I came up with an alternative. Cut strips of towel, saturate with silicone remover and let set for many hours and it comes off!! Here are some pics. The project is not done yet but wanted to share the hack I came up with. See original images above to compare. 

1.JPG

3 (2).JPG

3 (1).JPG

Edited by Iflyfish

that cleaned up nicely. looks way better with the ugly silicone gone. there is a product made by DuPont, "prep-sol". it will "cut", or remove silicone. used primarily as a pre painting cleaning agent for automotive finishers. joe from dover.

3 hours ago, hunkaman said:

that cleaned up nicely. looks way better with the ugly silicone gone. there is a product made by DuPont, "prep-sol". it will "cut", or remove silicone. used primarily as a pre painting cleaning agent for automotive finishers. joe from dover.

Thanks, it is not finished yet but making good progress. I have been using another silicone remover but think that with the method of using strips of terrycloth towels, soaked in remover and taped to the old silicone is working. Whew!! I will post more images as we proceed. 

• 1 month later...

Not done yet but had to get out of Dodge, Florence Oregon, Oregon Coast.

Iflyfishproudlyinmytoy

Casper at Florence.jpg

4 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

WOW ifly very  nice!

Thanks, labor of love! Work in progress. Well worth the effort. 

I agree! When I Zepped Granny my arms were tired from all the scrubbing but the results well worth it!

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2018 at 6:07 PM, Iflyfish said:

Not done yet but had to get out of Dodge, Florence Oregon, Oregon Coast.

Iflyfishproudlyinmytoy

Casper at Florence.jpg

Did ya end up finishing ?

Currently replacing tail lights with LEDs. Will post pics when done. 

The project was put on hold and now active again. Should be done with the Barkeep/Zep project in a couple of weeks. 

I will update as that happens. Thanks for the interest.

Iflyfishwithsorearms

Edited by Iflyfish