83 Rader remodel coming.. tail and running light suggestions

AbleThought

Hi all after two years of camping full time in my 18ft 83 rader im doing a full remodel.

im very interested in what you guys got going on in yours. tips, pics ect..

looks like this is the best time to swap out all the running/tail lights too.. any suggestions on what i should get.. id like them to be bright as i do lots of night driving. is led recomended? 

Before you start read this post/blog...ALL OF IT  http://www.boundfornowhere.com/blog/build-out-week-1-2

Lots of answers and even more cool ideas. This will show you how your Rader was built and what to expect.

... if it was made on the west side (disclaimer) - there were some differences in the Monterey Leisure version's construction. Still a great blog even if they did get rid of their toilet.  If you have kids you will want to keep that toilet fo sho.

7 hours ago, aturtlenamedmack said:

I noticed you've listed Knoxville as a place of residence. I just bought a 1984 Toyota Sunrader that I plan to remodel over the summer and fall. If you plan to do the remodel in Knoxville, I'd love to share labor, tips, tools, etc.

definitely i am doing it there! 

If you have flat front overhead windows you have a Sunrader made by Monterey Leisure in Elkhart In. If you have the wrap around windows it was made by Gardner-Pacific in Vallejo California. Both companies were owned by Stuart Gardner

Linda S

9 hours ago, linda s said:

If you have flat front overhead windows you have a Sunrader made by Monterey Leisure in Elkhart In. If you have the wrap around windows it was made by Gardner-Pacific in Vallejo California. Both companies were owned by Stuart Gardner

Linda S

i see i have the wrap around! i learn something new every day

Edited by AbleThought

Theoretically you should be OK. Just don't be surprised if there are problems. Bad grounds, forty year old crimped Scotch locks.

Get a nylon bristle brush and clean out each socket and use dielectric grease on each bulb. You will also need to change out the flasher relay for an electronic one.