Rear Dinette to Bed Converting

84 Sunrader

Curious what might be other setups for converting the rear dinette to a bed?

I bought my 84 shorty with what seems to be someone’s attempt to make a sturdy bed surface by laying plywood across this rear area. The problem is it’s both unsturdy under weight (cheap plywood) and it slides around under certain movement. I have clamps on it to prevent that but really looking for any improvement ideas or other efficent setups. I’m not sure what factory might have been and can’t seem to find any info online. Thanks in advance for advice and any nudge in a better direction for this!

Few shots in link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zpvw6d4515rwi96/AACRp1GR9y0tEBeO_bALSZ2ia?dl=0

E4F63B00-97AC-4F93-959F-BEB253519FE6.png

Your original table would have been your bed and fit tightly on those ledges under the seating area. Yours has a newer table and some awesome cabinets. Just beautiful. That's not plywood it's cheap pressboard. Buy some good quality plywood and cut a new bed shelf. Maybe with a hinge so you can fold it up to store it. I remember seeing this Sunrader before. Seems to me a little extra work to make the bed OK is worth having such a beautiful interior.

Linda S

Thanks Linda,

I thought that might be the case with the table as original bridge to that area gap. I appreciate the advice on making a folding platform. That’s what I’ve decided to do for sure. I had another friend on TMC Facebook group make and send a video that explained how his went in. Super helpful to have a visual. The rails on either side will be the best improvement for stability and of course better material than the flimsy press board you identified!

Thanks all!

The small table top makes a better table for eating. The folding bed support is simple and the only "problem" is storing it.