ok, so thanks to WME I have the correct nuts to reclamp down the exhaust manifold to the downpipe (not the block) So again block, manifold, then this 3 bolt flange thing that goes to down.

pipe and then exhaust... I picked up a spare gasket, its like a coiled light blue crushable circle gasket common for these. here is my question... I am assuming there was a gasket pressed in before; do I need to dig that one out and use new one or can i just tighten it down and save this new one as a spare?

That's real common place for them to leak the OEM nuts work the best I would not leave the old gaskets in place they are cheap buy two sets.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, Totem, this looks like a great setup for a joke.... and if nobody else bites,... I will.

WTH does milk of magnesia do for an exhaust system??

TG

Wow a universal anti seize compound. Biological and mechanical. Guess there are other universal items. Petroleum jelly, alcohol. I swear by Pam to get gaskets in place like the Sunrader wraparound windows. Just slides right in

Linda S

being the original post was March 15 I would say the browser/app of choice most definitely could use some ex-lax on searching efficiency for this site.  (da-da-da-ching!)

Update on this as I just completed the repair this weekend... I ended up buying a sheet of that gasket from auto parts store thats DIY with metal on one side cardboard on other. Next I got the 3 bolts free and separated the downpipe or whatever its called from the Y pipe. inside it only had one doughnut gasket the other the mechanic must have lost when reinstalling and judging from the one still there he cut a corner. The result was superheated exhaust gas dumping at leak point on one of the Y's and super heating there which helped spin off the nuts (if they were even installed) rather than try to wait for the doughnuts to be found or shipped. side benefit of custom gasket it was one piece instead of two and perfectly fit to it. I made template by pushing cardboard over the pipe and stenciling then cut gasket with snips. torqued down brass nuts then another set with permetex high heat thread lock instead of exlax. feeling it now there is almost no leaking at all. a slight whisper i feel may just be the air from the fan hard to say. Quietness of motor was the biggest improvement that and motor runs better.

ugh.. the newfound exhaust efficiency dumping heat through the system made the welds fail that i had done with a booger welder on the rear bend after the muffler. ARRRRRRgh... this weekend I will grind and booger weld again. last one lasted couple seasons.