So when we brought our Sunrader home last year I noticed that the passanger side front was lower than the drivers side. 1 year has passed and a new full floating rear end later, the saging came back to my attention. When I looked under the front to see about adjusting the bar, I noticed that my mechanic, that installed the new rear, had already adjusted it to just about max already. I thought about dialing down the drivers side to match...but the reason the sagging is occuring is due to weakness; I don’t feel comfortable about the front end being week in the area of stability. So, I look up torsion bars for toyotas and this is where my question lies.

So I’ve found no less than 3 companies that manufacture performance upgraded torsion bars. My thinking is that I should go with a stronger bar to match the strength of the new rear end I just had installed. I’m also going to add airbags in back as well. So, If I lower the driverside to match the Passenger side I’ll have the rear end pushing around the front. If I replace the torsion bars with stock ones, the rear will still be stouter than the front, result, the rear pushes the front end around. If I go with performance bars, like from LCE or Swayaway, I run into a couple problems. 1) SAW (Sway Away) has 1983 bars, but they cost $130 more, total $329.00 pair. The spring rate from stock is a good sounding 20%-30% increase. 2) All the other bars from LCE tout a 28%- 40% increase in spring rate, but they say they’re for a 1984+ truck. All the more affordable options are for 84+ trucks.

So the question beckons, are there physical differences in spline count, spline diameter, master key spline or overall leangth in the torsion bars from early 80’s to late 80’s Toyota trucks? Can they be interchanged?

A second question is: has anybody replaced their torsion arms with any quality and what did that do for you in the area of handling?  My seat of the pants feeling is that I would want a 20% - 30% increase in spring rate to match the rear capibilities and new found weight capabilities. 

Thanks for any of your thoughts. 

All I can say is they list 2 bars 79-83 and 84-95. So they probably aren't interchangeable.

Several here have gone to HD bars and were happy

Yes it would help the sag they do wear out but you will still have the same control arms the same torsion bar purchases the same spindles, wheels and frame. Even with a 1 ton rear you are still overweight but you now have a rear axle you can depend on.