I just bought my first RV an 87 Dolphin. I dubbed it Flipper. I got the unit in july of last year. this janurary I cooked the motor after installing a new alternator and failed to tighten the fan bolts to spec. the motor threw a chunk of the rod through the drivers side of the block. so I have gotten a new block. it will need to have all of the brackets , sensors and bits removed from the old block to attach to the new. any help would be great! I am currently at the stage in removing the old motor whereby I have to separate the flexplate or driveplate from the torque converter in the transmission to get the old block out. are there any armchair mechanics who have done this?  the book that I have said to cut the head off of 2 bolts to use them as fulcrum to rotate the plate to remove the 6 bolts. they are out. how do I split the bellhouse from the trans?

access hole underside of motor.jpg

Edited by flipper the 87 dolphin

If the engine is locked up you are pretty much screwed. You can remove the engine and converter together it's a bit of a pain but can be done once it's out you can get to the converter bolts. If it's not then you can turn the engine with the front crank bolt and a socket.

I was able to access the fly wheel through the starter hole and then rotated the wheel about 15 teeth to reach each bolt through the port at the bottom.

the old motor is still in. the bolts are out. I am just worried about damaging the torque converter or draining the fluids all over myself or into the work area.. my digi camera is taking photos so large that this forum will not allow me to download. I may try to reduce file size and that may help. the only other time I have done a motor swap. it was a remove and replace with a manual trans. but that was a mitsu truck and also quite a while ago.

the engine is loosed at the bellhousing and the engine mounts. the trans is supported by a jack. the hoist is ready to roll into the area.

There are 2 miserable to get out almost invisible bolts that are on the top of the bell housing connecting to the engine block. Did you get them?

yes. the pair of 17mms I removed with every extension that I had.