Spare tire relocating?

DirtyPatches

I have heard of people relocating the spare tire under the coach but can't find anything on here. 

Anyone have previous experience to share or advice?

Your best bet is a trip to your local wrecking yard. Find a Toyota pu of the same year as your MH and pull the under mount bracket and chain hoist.

Sometimes they are on ebay

Where is your current spare located?

A rear bumper type of mount is the most logical way to go if you can. Under chassis mounts tend to get rust and road debris requiring the occasional removal and replacement of the spare tire just to be sure it can be lowered when needed. 

I had a Toyota pickup and Fred is right.  I had to crawl under the truck every time I wanted to get the spare out.  Eventually, I had to use an angle grinder to get the spare out.  However, I live in the rusty state of Wisconsin and that truck drove through some really lousy weather.

Thanks for the tips guys!! Trying to get it off the rear wall and out of the way for a better cargo setup.

IMG_20180122_150134367.jpg

One of the Toyota PU hoist showed up on Ebay.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Toyota-pickup-spare-tire-winch-mount-holder-carrier-lifter-hoist-2WD-/112776219863

Here is the setup on my Class A, its probably to big for a Toyota RV but the idea might work removing the tire from the rear... https://www.rvupgradestore.com/BAL-Hide-A-Spare-70-Frame-Recessed-Mount-p/92-0150.htm

18 hours ago, DirtyPatches said:

Thanks for the tips guys!! Trying to get it off the rear wall and out of the way for a better cargo setup.

IMG_20180122_150134367.jpg

This is the setup I have on my rig. You could do something similar. 

C57EE180-00EB-4697-81C9-45DA08455A3B.jpeg

4 hours ago, fred heath said:

This is the setup I have on my rig. You could do something similar. 

C57EE180-00EB-4697-81C9-45DA08455A3B.jpeg

Pretty cool, like the patio! ? Trying to get the moped off the front and clean up the back. Really don't want to get a trailer.

I remounted my spare wheel to the original mounting place. Just behind the rear end using all the original parts. On either side of the frame is a rubber plug in the frame which I removed. I cut and shortened the original spare lowering rod and permanently affixed in place. The hook end at the lowering mechanism and the end that is squared off for the handle. Used a aluminum electrical plate on the side of the motorhome with the rod sticking out enough for the handle to slip on. Now I can lower and raise the spare wheel from the side of the motorhome. I do still have to crawl under the motorhome to retrieve the wheel. Never had a flat. Damn should not say that.

When I get new tyres I have the best tire mounted as the spare.    Darrel

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

This has been a pickup thing for years. Manufactures, yeah they can get it out yeah it's a pain but we are not the ones laying under the truck in the snow and it gives us a place to put the damn thing. Every one of the Toyota pickups I owned had the spare underneath some had a chain (best choice) the others had a cable. GM had issues  with the cable rotting and the spare landing in the street at speed. Very interesting thing I never could figure out was why did the put the spare in upside down so you had to take it out to check tire pressure? Rant over. P.S. I like the crank on the side nice touch.

Edited by Maineah

GM wasn't the only ones that had the cable rot into 70 MPH rear anti personnel weapon; My  3/4 ton 1998 diesel Dodge ram lost a VERY large "spare" (full sized) at speed while I was happily cruising away. somehow it fell and started rolling and went and bounced off a guys camry on its roof and dented it. he was ok though.

• 3 years later...
On 3/11/2018 at 12:10 AM, darrel said:

I remounted my spare wheel to the original mounting place. Just behind the rear end using all the original parts. On either side of the frame is a rubber plug in the frame which I removed. I cut and shortened the original spare lowering rod and permanently affixed in place. The hook end at the lowering mechanism and the end that is squared off for the handle. Used a aluminum electrical plate on the side of the motorhome with the rod sticking out enough for the handle to slip on. Now I can lower and raise the spare wheel from the side of the motorhome. I do still have to crawl under the motorhome to retrieve the wheel. Never had a flat. Damn should not say that.

When I get new tyres I have the best tire mounted as the spare.    Darrel

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

I see you have bags on your rig! How much of a pain in the behind was that to install? And how is the rose height and quality now?