Bought a Sunrader - SO STOKED!!

Hello again - my last post was Jan 19 - “Lookin at an ‘85 Sunrader”.  Well, I GOT IT!  Yay!  It’s an ‘84, not ‘85.  4 speed manual transmission, 4 cylinder 22R engine.  160,000 miles.

I’ve had some health issues to face this Winter so I have not tended to my baby as of yet - but I hope to begin soon.  Happy to post pics along the way if folks are interested in that progress.  So stoked to have her and so grateful for this group because I can use ALLLL the help/advice folks are able to give on this new journey.

:D

(1st photo was right when I bought her - got an oil change - then took her to the diy car wash - 2nd photo is her cleaned up on the 1st pass - she will need lots of washing/detailing but she shines up pretty good!)

091302A2-8183-49FE-9B49-51C17438AE5A.jpeg

527C7F3C-4561-4C2F-9664-CAE1D6AAE66E.jpeg

Edited by roadtriprachel
4 speed manual NOT a 5 speed...

I do believe this Sunrader was first sold in 1985. The roof rack is at the top level of the roof not the lower level. They changed them in 1985. Your in California though so I think our state goes by the year of the truck manufacture. Not unusual to have the truck and the camper be a year apart.

Linda S

Thanks Linda!!  That explains the confusion the seller had about the year (he listed it as an ‘85, but the vin came up as ‘84 when my mechanic performed the pre sale inspection / and the new title says 1984).  By the way - the seller bought it in 2005, from the original owner I believe, so I am most likely the third owner.  

When getting a quote from my car insurance company the RV insurance agent couldn’t find the Sunrader at first in her database - I suppose they are classified as a truck with a camper?  Still hunting for the best deal on RV insurance (Progressive was HIGH).

My insurance is from State Farm. I always thought they would be so expensive but my son-in-law is an agent there and when I first switched over he saved me 700 bucks a year over my old plan. That's for 4 vehicles. Think my Sunrader comes in at about 200 a year, my daily driver a Ford Explorer is 400 and the big savings were on the 2 campers I don't really use. I am insured for if I need to take them to get service or something like that but I only pay 40 a year each.

Linda S

Rachel

Welcome to the wild world of old Toys. You will think its huge for a while as you adjust to it. Monterey Leisure Products was the mfg if that will make the insurance search easier 

This is a mechanics OPINION, so take it for whats its worth. Your Rader came with a 4speed, so some time in its life time the transmission was switched. This is not a BAD thing per say, but it can be a problem depending on which transmission was used. The thing is in 5th gear you are using a lot of throttle to maintain speed. This means your approaching the torque limit of 5th gear of some of the 5 speeds. The failure point is the 5th gear bearings.

SO don't lug it in 5th EVER. One answer, down the road, is to change the rear axle ratio and let the engine run a little fast making more HP at less throttle There won't be a big change in MPG , but the engine and transmission will be happier.  FWIW the automatics have the same gearing problem with O/D and most folks with the 4 cylinder and an automatic never use O/D

Thanks Linda!  I’ll keep looking and check State Farm in this search.  I didn’t realize your daily driver is a Ford.  I should email you some photos of the ‘79 Ford Chateau I had..

WME thanks for the manufacturer info.  And I am really REALLY R E A L L Y embarrassed but I checked and I actually have a FOUR speed... The owner called it a 5 speed, and when I looked at the shifter I wondered if perhaps it’s a 5 speed including reverse? I also may have misunderstood him... Sooo - it has 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and reverse on the shifter.  And I win the prize for public goofs.  He did put a new clutch in, and rebuilt the transmission.  But somehow I thought it was a 5 speed... 

:blink:

(In my defense, I 1st learned how to drive on a manual but that was 20 years ago, so my knowledge of stick shifts is woefully lacking!)

The 5 speed would be my choice if  I had it but mine was an automatic. It gives you more choices in gearing the automatic can't match the range of gearing of a 5 spd. The automatic has a deeper OD than the 5 speed so the 5  spd can be used in OD when the auto can't and it has no converter to overheat. Some early 5 spds did have issues with OD but that only affected a couple of years. Because my Toy home was an automatic (one of only a few I ever owned) I drove it like a stick I used OD but locked it out when the gearing did not match the load and speed. I pull a camper with my 2011 Tacoma the combined weight iis around 7,200#  (greater than my old Toy home by a good half ton) I use 6th gear (OD) no problem on the highway and have for the past 100K. Bottom line I wouldn't worry a lot about the stick the little engine like to rev so do worry too much high revs in selected lower gears you got 5 choices.

1 hour ago, roadtriprachel said:

Thanks Linda!  I’ll keep looking and check State Farm in this search.  I didn’t realize your daily driver is a Ford.  I should email you some photos of the ‘79 Ford Chateau I had..

WME thanks for the manufacturer info.  And I am really REALLY R E A L L Y embarrassed but I checked and I actually have a FOUR speed... The owner called it a 5 speed, and when I looked at the shifter I wondered if perhaps it’s a 5 speed including reverse? I also may have misunderstood him... Sooo - it has 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and reverse on the shifter.  And I win the prize for public goofs.  He did put a new clutch in, and rebuilt the transmission.  But somehow I thought it was a 5 speed... 

:blink:

(In my defense, I 1st learned how to drive on a manual but that was 20 years ago, so my knowledge of stick shifts is woefully lacking!)

OK moot point about 5th so you have no OD gearing to worry about!

Maineah I’m still thankful for this thread re the speeds: someday I might actually own a 5 speed and this is all super helpful.  Besides, now everyone knows it’s a given that my posts will provide amusement/comic relief!

OK, but just to make sure. Get in and row through the gears:P

WME I took her out the 1st week I got her; drove down to Ventura and into Avilla.  I didnt try to drive in reverse - not that mechanically challenged!  Just somehow got it in my head it was a 5 gear (4+reverse)...

I wiped out on my bike and sprained my arm so haven’t driven her since that 1st week - plus now I have got to get insurance - but I did take her on a quickie 48 hour trip.  She LOVES the open road.  Drove like a dream!

Motorcycle-bike or bicycle-bike? I have road rash marks and scars from both

WME - It was a bicycle.  Never driven a motorcycle.  Fortunately it was cold and wet that day here so I had on several layers of clothing, leather gloves, sturdy cowboy boots and a leather jacket.  I think sm parts of my hands/palms were bloody, but nothing else.  Had it been nicer weather A LOTof my skin would have been left of the ground!  But this wreck had virtually no road rash to speak of thankfully!!  (Other wrecks have sadly.)  I can’t even imagine wiping out going faster than 25mph.  Being so accident prone has kept me away from motorized bikes.

Do you bring your bicycles out on the road in your RV?  If so, how?  I have a Thule hitch mounting rack that I used on my Ford van.  But this RV is already long - I’d rather not add 3+ feet in back with the rack...  I’ve seen rigs around here (beach/Cenral CA coast) that cleverly make use of the rear ladder....  I always bring at least 2 bikes when I travel (mtn & road), so bike transportation is on the growing list of things to think about with the Sunrader.

SHE FITS IN MOST MOST PARKING SPACES!!!

:wub:

That was this morning.  Drove myself to the ER.  Hahaha.  (Guess I already mentioned I have health issues AND I am accident prone?)

:(:lol:

Heavy rain in my region early this morning.  Terrible visibility.  But Lil Putt got me to the ER and home again just fine.  I am so glad that I bought her!!  

05E1F3C0-D84E-4C85-BE2A-6D084C6D53C6.jpeg

I raced bicycles and high performance racing go-karts. Those left me with a some rash but nothing major. I commuted on a motorcycle for years. I got rear ended by an 18 year old kid who "didn't see " me. Something sharp cut through my leathers and boot, it took 70 stitches to make things whole again. My leg makes an excellent weather forecaster.

I used my Toy RV to help the neighbors out when he had open heart surgery. Drove it to the hospital and set it up in the back parking lot for the wife to stay in. She used hubbies hospital room shower so the rv had enough water and waste for 5 days

Now days when the in-laws are here ( campground only folks) for an outing, I carry a city bike to get around. Here is the bike rv ladder mount  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-Carlson-LA-102-BIKE-RACK-FOR-UNIV-RV-LAD/302409067291?epid=1229923265&hash=item4668fc2b1b:g:Jb8AAOSw7XBY8Tkr:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!82501!US!-1&vxp=mtr

My current RV is 31 ft so a little rack doesn't matter.

Edited by WME

Yep know all about the insurance thing, try to insure a 64 Chevelle. The insurance guide says its value $600.00. Finally got an approved appraisal and we agreed on that value on the insurance.

Most of the Cali beaches are swamped on weekends, but middle of the week pull into the parking lot, open the windows and a nap with the waves crashing in the background works wonders. I lived in Camarillo for 10 years, a long time ago, pre-stupid people rule days. We used do to the bonfire on the beach all night long several times during the summer.

Older cars can be a pain to insure!  Getting insurance on the ‘79 Ford Econoline was challenging too.  Oh well.  The Toyota is insured now.

Beach bonfires?!  Sounds divine!  That’s definitely not legal, sadly (as far as I know).  I think it may have been illegal the last time I live here (SoCal / mid 1990s - stupid people in CA have also made WalMart overnight parking impossible..).  And YES -  CA beaches are SWAMPED on weekends; the population here probably quadruples Fri-Sun!  I much prefer the beach on weekdays.  

These two photos are dark but the 1st interior shots taken so I wanted to share.

(I am REALLY glad I bought this RV!)

E8DA30E1-5F55-4DD5-8D3B-8BF659EF6917.jpeg

F3B24A99-9E80-4855-A625-E653F06A3C37.jpeg

A friend of a friend is a mechanic (SCORE) and checking out my baby right now!  Engine seems solid - needs new bushings, shocks, bearings... an air filter and some hoses (to start).  It’s a 22R, not 20R like I originally posted.  Posting an engine pic now... 

5CE0ACDB-ED61-430C-BC86-5F35FE177715.jpeg

The 22r is in the anvil class when it comes to reliability. Thing to watch for is the timing chain and chain tensioner, their easy to check with valve cover off, you need to adjust the valves at least once to set a base line.  The carb is a sore point as its old and its hard to find quality carb builders these days. Alternative is a CA smog approved Weber conversion.

Your radiator looks new:ThumbUp: if the PO was good to Lil Putt maybe he did the timing chain too.

WME - thank you for the info!  

I will mention all that to the mechanic.  He’s not charging a lot ($550 for labor - for all the repairs - seems very reasonable) but I need a couple weeks to get $ for him plus $ for all the parts at NAPA ($300+).  Repairs are set to start March 17.  

As for the carb - it’s been such a PAIN to find folks who are willing / able to fix (as I discovered with the ‘79 Ford van I just sold).  In TN my old mechanic rebuilt the carb for $200.  He was affordable, plus there wasn’t anything that man couldn’t fix!  He was in his early 80s and passed away in 2016.  Went peacefully in his sleep.  I’ve been searching for someone like him ever since... Hoping I found that in this new guy.  The Sunrader passed a smog test here before the sale so it would seem the carb is good (for now).

YES the last owner replaced the radiator!!  He sunk THOUSANDS into repairs (I have all his old receipts).  Replaced the head gasket, the clutch, rebuilt the transmission, and more.  I have quite a bit of work still to do (needs bushings, tire rods, shocks, oil pan’s leaking, etc) but he took great care of the engine and it’s in good shape, considering (according to the few folks who’ve looked at it thus far).  All the major engine problems he addressed as needed so I’m in a good position, all things considered.

In the pile of receipts is there one for a timing chain/timing kit? Passing smog is a very good karma on your part.

Lets see shocks..Monroe MEH... good KYB....best Bilstien.. medium difficulty replacement (rusty bolts) Bilstiens are a bit more sporty in the handling deport. Tie Rod ends easy, bushings are medium hard, have your guy check the ball joints too. You will need a front wheel alignment after everything is installed. If your mechanic is crafty he can replace the pan gasket without pulling the engine, BUT check the front seal first, its the usual suspect when it comes to oily pans and is fairly easy to replace.

WME yes, good call - it’s a 3 inch stack going back 13 years, so I will make time to read them all asap, looking for anything re timing chain / timing kit.  Linda also higly reccomended Bilstiens.  (And Linda I promise to buy the correct weight oil this time!).  There is so much to tackle - I keep forgetting to ck tire year, we need to replace some hoses, and then the RV interior’s a mystery...

The mechanic did say ball joints have to be replaced.  Oil pan gasket - he said it was most likely a seal he can get to w/o difficulty.  He said Lil Putt needs a lot of work (the to do list is painfully long) but the engine’s in great shape.  He chatted with me for quite a while about how awesome this 22R is.  Asked me where all I was hoping to go, ALL OVER I said, and he said this RV will get me there and back.  He’s Guatamalean and said Toyotas are everywhere back home - Lil Putt can make it to Canada, South America and back to CA once we’re done fixing everything.  

The list is long (we’re not tackling everything Mar 17) but my 1st “big trip” isn’t until May, so I’m happy with the pace.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

it IS a five gear manual afterall!!  Haha.  I KNEW the seller said that back in Jan... but there was so much covered I second guessed myself.  Esp w/ the knob showing only 4 gears... I had to call the seller about something and he reminded me it’s a 5 speed manual - that he added an extra gear when he did some repairs.

On 3/6/2018 at 5:25 PM, WME said:

The 22r is in the anvil class when it comes to reliability. Thing to watch for is the timing chain and chain tensioner, their easy to check with valve cover off, you need to adjust the valves at least once to set a base line.  The carb is a sore point as its old and its hard to find quality carb builders these days. Alternative is a CA smog approved Weber conversion.

Your radiator looks new:ThumbUp: if the PO was good to Lil Putt maybe he did the timing chain too.

The 22R had a double roller chain they usually out lasted the engine the RE's were single roller and often made it to 100 - 150K before the death rattles. Saw a 22R once that had a pair of side draft Webers with a custom made manifold and headers in a Corolla.

Maineah I never found receipts for timing chain repairs - so it’s good to hear again that the 22R is such a beast.  (Still trying to decipher the second sentence - haha!  But I’m definitely not a gearhead, learning as as I go - 1st from my ‘79 Ford van, now the Sunrader).  I need to keep hearing this over and over though - how solid this engine is - as my family back East keeps saying “You bought WHAT?!!  It’s HOW old?!  Do you really think it’ll make it to VA in June?!”

Remember the post about 5 speeds way back in the beginning of your journey. Start saving for a new rear axle center pumpkin with a 4:56 ratio.

EBay is a good starting place or your local pick n pull.

Hi WME - I’ve been tryin to review this thread since I posted the discovery of the 5 speed vs four: weirdly the post you made (and a few replies frm other members) is perpetually covered by pop up ads.  I keep cancelling the ads then refreshing to read the hidden text underneath, and a new ad pops up in its place, blocking the text... :angry:

WME - if there’s rear axle problems with a 5 speed conversion (even with the floating 1 ton dually 6 lug nut), can I simply avoid 5th gear until I can afford to swap out axels?  As I didn’t realize she could go into 5th, she never has (on my watch).  

The problem, such as it is, is with the transmission not the rear axle. 5th gear OD are great if you have 300hp, then a slow running gets better MPG. But with 105 hp there is no excess power to allow you to relax the throttle. You have to use a lot of throttle to run 5th gear. That places a big  load on the 5th gear bearings. The transmission was designed for a 3000lb pickup not a 6000lb mobile house. Basically 5th is for tail winds and down grades.

You will soon find out when you can use it. So go ahead and play with it. Short term no foul. As a side note most people with the automatics report the same or better mpg by NOT using OD, so keep close track of your mpg with and without 5th gear

You will know if you are in 5th at too low a speed or on hills just downshift sooner than later. I used OD in my automatic toy home and I use 6th in my Tacoma towing a 3,500# camper with a 4,500# truck if nothing else it's a lot quieter. If it's trying too hard to maintain speed down shift. It's a different story with the automatic you can overheat an automatic and not know it with the 5th gear it simply won't pull it and your speed will fall. Both 5th and automatic OD are meant for highway speeds on basically flat land in a toy home. One caveat some very early 5 speed Toyota transmissions had issues with burning OD gears towing heavy loads but I have only seen a couple of cases there again the truck was probably screaming for mercy.

• 4 weeks later...

All the upload attemps have failed except the above photo: took the RV into Monterey, Santa Cruz and Big Sur.  Have more pics but they won’t load.  Anyways, she made the trip just fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on your Sunrader.  I'm currently talking to the owner of a 1986 Sunrader and trying to figure out a fair price.  The RV needs the engine replaced or rebuilt 197,000 miles on her. Interior needs to be cleaned up.

May I ask what you paid for your Sunrader?

Most Sunraders I see are in good condition original and less  100,000  mikes on them.

You can see my post to the form and see pictures. 1986 Sunrader 21ft. Help 

Aaron

Welcome to the world of Toyota RVing!   What motor does your rig have?  2.4 or V6?  And what is the axle type?  Single Tire or Duals?

If your engine is a V-6, Toyota has a secret warranty, whereby if you qualify,  they will rebuild the top end, head gaskets etc for free.  Check in with a Toyota Dealer in your area for further information.

Enjoy your travels.

Brian